Author Topic: some questions about controller  (Read 7802 times)

Offline albertlc

• Confirmed
some questions about controller
« on: September 28, 2010, 06:24:49 PM »
hola! I'm new to this forum and I want to introduce myself.
My name is Albert and I live in Spain. exactly in palma de mallorca, balearic islands... a paradise ;D
I have no Magic Pie but I have the intention to buy one, in concrete, I pretend buy a 48V and 1000w, máximum power, is correct?
then, doubts assail me ... if I buy the Magic Pie in the web for shipment to Spain, they will send one with the speed limited? In Europe there are regulations on speed limits on bicycles.
well, and other questions ... is better a controller internal or external?
really I think is better external controller.
thanks in advance and greetings to all!

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: some questions about controller
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 02:13:00 AM »
Hi Albert,

First off, I'd like to say I looked up where you live in google earth. WOW! it really is an island paradise! Very Nice clean and historic looking.

I would say if you order a Magic Pie you will get the same motor as everyone else does. They are not limited. It would be up to you to use a USB cable to do any adjustments to the settings. As far as I know, I have not seen a Magic Pie for quite a while that was not set at 24volts (default) and all other settings on Max. At first when you ordered one it would come set to you desired voltage. But since the introdution of the USB cable that is the way they all come to me and I have seen and tested many. I have also sold many motors to countries in europe and some came from here and some from GM China as a drop ship. No one has ever asked or mentioned if a motor is speed limited.

I think where these rumors came from when they Pies were first being developed they had a few versions. But imediatly after release they were all the same. Recent Pies now have heat protection and a lower amps output to protect the motor and controller, but these are not "european" motors. They are all like that now no matter where they ship. At first I was upset with this shut down feature but then once I had speed limited it to 32kph with a cycle analyst it never shut down again.

Gary

Offline albertlc

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 06:03:24 AM »
thanks gary! each site has its own beauty. its own idiosyncrasies is what makes it different and that's what counts. Thanks for your comment  ;)
well then, I understand that I get a generic motor that I will be able to take full advantage depending about the configuration of the control by USB cable. perfect!
you recommend a Magic Pie with internal or external controller? and... is possible install with foot throttle?
thanks!!

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 06:47:34 AM »
I have a Magic Pie but with a controller of another brand because it can deliver more amps. I also ordered an CA-DP from the same company who then calibrated it for the controller. The Magic Pie takes 1620 watt at the steepest hills and is a killer in acceleration. I love it. ;D

There wouldn’t be any problem with afoot controller as long it is 0-5 V

Peter
Midsummer sun = up 02:54   down 22:51   angle 51,0° :)
Midwinter sun =    up 09:19   down14:18   angle 4,2° :(
Mean annual temperature = 3,1°C

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 02:27:36 PM »
There wouldn’t be any problem with afoot controller as long it is 0-5 V
There could be a problem trying to pedal and operate a foot throttle at the same time!

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 08:32:32 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Mountain

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 02:18:14 PM »
My Magic Pie was bought before March, the internal controller was not programmable. In the summer we had a temperature  over 30 degrees Celsius.
When I drove up the mountain it begans to beep, and the engine stopped.
If I  have used   downhill the regenerative brake the  controller had been very hot very quickly and the engine fell off. Therefore, I have put the internal controller to the outside. I also bought  2x an external controller, but in my case, not possible  to programm accordingly. After I have changed the controller to my needs this takes only a maximum of15 amps (the motor is very weak). (I have not yet received support from golden motor) I would advise against an internal controller especially  because it is very warm in Mallorca.

Offline albertlc

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 10:55:19 AM »
first, thanks for the replies. I have finally clear that I will decide for external controller. in fact, in mallorca the summer is very hot and an internal controller could be a problem.
regards!! ;)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 07:33:58 PM »
thanks gary! each site has its own beauty. its own idiosyncrasies is what makes it different and that's what counts. Thanks for your comment  ;)
well then, I understand that I get a generic motor that I will be able to take full advantage depending about the configuration of the control by USB cable. perfect!
you recommend a Magic Pie with internal or external controller? and... is possible install with foot throttle?
thanks!!

Internal or external is personal prefference. Internal is a much cleaner looking setup as you don't have to hide the controller somewhere and there are less wires so the setup is a little simpler. External is a slightly more complicated setup and you will need a pouch or controller box to hide the controller.

The external does have the advantage of easily replacment of the controller if it fails. You will notice as you go around the forum you will read about failed internal controllers on Magic Pies. Reading this does seem to make it look like there are alot of failed controllers. But if you tried to count the number of people that have acually had a failed controller in the forum it to me still seems quite low. I havn't counted but it seems like about 10 or maybe even as high as 20. Then consider how many of these motors are actually sold that would put this number as quite low.

Another thing that makes it look bad is GM is slow to respond on these failures so people post and repost over and over again making it look bad. My experience with GM as a dealer is allthough they seem a bit disorganized and some replacements take time, they always come through in the end.

So again I say its a prefference. I have 2 internal pies on my bike and have no problems other then trying to stop going so damn fast! For this I use a cycle analyst and am quite happy with my bike and very proud to show it. Personally I think it looks awesome! But i'm sure we all have a love for our own bikes.

Gary

Offline Mountain

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 07:57:14 AM »
I think, each dealer will praise his wares.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 04:04:58 PM »

I will Praise my wares if I believe in them. I will not promote things that GM China promotes just because Im a dealer. Like I will not mislead people to believe the alarm works or I will not promote the Pedelec as its not really even a Pedelec. But I do not have any problems with any other item GM has.

Gary

Offline Mountain

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 06:58:11 PM »
The average maximum temperature in August is 35 degrees celsius in Malorca!
In my area it had in the summer about 30 degrees Celsius.
After a quarter of an hour uphill with about 15 to 20 amps, it was over.
And downhill  with approximately 4 amps much sooner.
(With the internal controller).
That was the reason why I moved outside  the controller.
And a large heatsink was needed. I asked Tom and he wrote only:
"The internal controller inside the motor,is too hot."
See also:
http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=2409.0
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 07:17:03 PM by Mountain »

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 09:50:49 PM »

This is not a kind thing to write :'( as Gary is a recognized dealer and is really trying to help us out. He has, as much as us, his right to give his opinion and that’s very valuable as he probably come across a lot more GM stuff than the rest of us.

I had already made my mind up to buy an MP with the internal controller just for the simplicity of the installation when Mark (Scorpion) posted some thinkable opinions on it. I changed my order and did it in a much more expensive way especially because I bought everything from GM and then replaced the controller. I love the result but I cannot compare with the Magic controller since I never tested with that configuration. So everyone just praise what they got and I believe this is a good thing as long we can be a little bit objective in what we write. ;D

The choice between internal or external controller would be a matter of priority. If your priority is to have a simple and clean (cable free) installation, you’ll buy the internal controller. However, if your priority is to have as much torque as possible you not only have to change to an external controller but also change the controller to another brand. This is where the CA-DP comes in, as it can be adjusted to fit a couple of controller.

Peter
Citizen of Sweden
Midsummer sun = up 02:54   down 22:51   angle 51,0° :)
Midwinter sun =    up 09:19   down14:18   angle 4,2° :(
Mean annual temperature = 3,1°C

Offline Mountain

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 06:00:25 AM »
I'm sorry if I offended anyone here!
I have not changed the datas  of the internal controller - more torque -  (was not able to be programmed, the regenerative braking effect  was too strong, unfortunately golden moter did not  mentioned on his website  that the  controller before March is not programmable; would have spared me this programming cable)
In my case, I was absolutely not stisfied with the  internal controller and that  should we also can say  honestly  if someone asks for it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 06:53:58 PM by Mountain »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 03:05:28 AM »
Thats ok Peter and Mountain too. I am not offended whatsoever. I am just trying to honestly answer peoples questions. And as you say Peter I have had alot of GM items pass through my hands. Also quite often I do test the wheels before I send them out (not much latly as who has the time!). One day I had a friend help me and we tested over 20 MP wheels to compare speeds and reliability right out of the box. So unless you have done more then 20 installs I have you beat hands down in one day! But one thing is for sure. I don't know as much as most of the regular posters here. The knowledge that is here is far beyond what I will ever know when it comes to the real technical stuff. Most of that makes my head spin!

Gary
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 03:20:41 AM by GM Canada »

Offline albertlc

• Confirmed
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 04:36:28 PM »
just yesterday I made my command... external controller, 26", 1000W 48V Magic Pie.
waiting... ;D