Author Topic: Converting a hub motor scooter to a chain driven  (Read 7800 times)

Offline pengyou

Converting a hub motor scooter to a chain driven
« on: September 16, 2010, 09:58:10 AM »
I would like to get a e-scooter with a top speed of 50-60 km/h without having to go into 60 and 72v batteries.  5 years ago, most of the scooters were chain driven.  Now, I have searched Taobao, Alibaba and other sides and cannot find one full size scooter that is not a hub motor. 

Has anyone out there ever converted a hub motor scooter to a chain drive?  I am aware of the convenience of the hub motor, but there are some disadvantages also.  I don't want this thread to become a debate over this issue - just a discussion of how to or how it might be converted  ;D

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Converting a hub motor scooter to a chain driven
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 10:26:54 AM »
Where have you been searching?

So you can easily do that with 25v providing you have the current ;)

Plus there is a ton of brushless motors that will do the job. Might depend on how long you want to wait until you get to 50-60km/h

Maybe you already have 48v battery, but I am thinking of changing to higher voltage due to efficiency.

Anyways good luck

Offline pengyou

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 01:08:32 PM »
Thanks!  Yes, I have seen the motors/controllers to do it...the  unknown is the actual process of mounting the motor and the chain on the scooter.  I have been looking at several models and see several possibilities but I am hoping to talk to someone who has actually done it before and possibly save me a lot of time, money and embarrassment.  Yes, the motor you have posted would do an awesome job but to get it up to a decent level of efficiency I would need to attach a trailer to the bike and load it with batteries!  Also, I am trying to keep the scooter as light as possible to help with braking.  I am guessing that 36v or 48v at  1,000 watts will be adequate.  If acceleration is not adequate, I have considered the possibility of mounting a high torque hub 350 watt motor on the front wheel...but I am getting ahead of myself.  I was looking at GM's 90 Series BLCD but it appears that in order to get 750 watts I have to pour in 96 volts!  I really like the brushless motor controller advertised on the same page.

Any suggestions for motors in the 36v-48v range, with800-1000 watts?

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 02:02:34 PM »
A 36/48v brush/brushless motor with a 16t cog then like a 24 tooth or something on the rear wheel. I'm not too good with sprocket gear/speed ratios

Anyways I think if you really want good performance upto that speed, you have to consider the weight. I know the videos I've seen on youtube or whatever are not generally 36/48v for the speed you are talkin, more 60v+ even with chain drive

Lol 60km/h is pretty fast on a scooter of any design, is it a push scooter or one you sit on like a motorscooter?

Offline pengyou

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 11:02:17 PM »
Sit on type, like a motorscooter.