Author Topic: Electric lawnmower  (Read 6483 times)

Offline JAK

Electric lawnmower
« on: September 14, 2010, 02:41:06 PM »
I would like to convert my old Lawn Boy push mower to battery electric and am sourcing components. I want to use the 48 volt, 12 AH Li-ion battery pack from my daughter's Magic Pie 1KW hub equipped bike. I was looking at the 48 volt, 90 series BLDC 750w, 3000  motor for this application but there are little to no specifications on the web site. Could anyone supply me with a layout drawing including shaft diameter, length, keyway dimensions, bolt circle layout and bolt size. I would also like some information on the electrical specifications of this motor i.e. no load current draw, full load current draw, torque in in. lbs. etc. My battery is rated for a continuous discharge current of 20 amps. The web site claims 5 N.m peak torque. I need to know what the continuous torque is. Can I run this with just an on/off switch between the battery and the motor or would you recommend a motor controller for this application?

P.S. I am open to suggestions re. another motor but I do want to use my existing 48v battery pack.
Thanks all.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Electric lawnmower
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 03:40:46 PM »
Hi Jan andto the forum.

You will definitely need a controller for a brushless motor. I would think the magic controller should be suitable for that motor:

Here's the drawing (I found the link on the website), but it does not show a keyway:

The length "L" of these motors varies according to the output, but these details can be found on the website too.

If you send an email to tom@goldenmotor.com he might be able to give more information on this motor, but keep the email short and easy to understand, unless you are fluent in Chinese. ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 08:15:50 PM by Bikemad »

Offline JAK

Re: Electric lawnmower
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 06:05:31 PM »
Hey Bikemad, thanks for the quick reply. I have found the same info on the GM Canada website but I still have no details regarding the most basic electric specs for this motor ie. what is the no load current draw, full load current draw, torque in in. lbs. etc. The BAC-281P controller you describe below has few useful specs other than operating voltage options. Do you or does anyone know what kind of amperage it will handle on a steady state basis? I'm trying to match these components but can't seem to get any specifications to base decisions on. There must be both mechanical as well as electrical specs on these components somewhere? Does anyone know where I could find them? Thanks again all.