Author Topic: Connect the power cords ??  (Read 5473 times)

Offline Milhouse

• Confirmed
Connect the power cords ??
« on: August 18, 2010, 05:50:11 PM »
(PSSS: I use Google Translate  :P)

After five hours (!) With clumsy Installation, I stand with the installation of power cable that connects to the engine wheel.

As you may have guessed, these two .. ehh, "poles" meet each other. But this says nothing about the ass manual that is online. That, it says that I should just cram the two lines against each other in a thin, elastic sleeve that came with. But then there's no physical "anchor" between the cables. It can be impossible act that they will encounter each other without any pressure or physical attachment.

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Connect the power cords ??
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 06:21:56 PM »
Uhm I can't see something wrong in the pictures, please explain to my what your problem is... Is it that the wires aren't connected to the connector?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Joining the power cables
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 03:04:44 PM »
Ideally these wires should be soldered together and then insulated with heat shrink tubing or insulation tape:

But you can also use 30Amp crimp connectors or screw type connector blocks instead:

I soldered Deans connectors onto my leads:

This makes it quick and easy to plug my wattmeter into the battery circuit for measuring the Voltage and Current, but you must make sure the female connector is on the battery side to reduce the possibility of shorting out the battery.
The two adapter connectors were made up so that I can connect the wattmeter in a reversed direction for measuring regen current. ;)

Whichever method you use, it is important to ensure that the joints are good and suitably insulated to prevent the wires from touching each other and shorting out the battery.  :o

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 08:00:37 PM by Bikemad »

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 03:30:49 PM »
Good work Bikemad

I was busy looking in my 'ass manual'

;) gotta love google translate

Offline Milhouse

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 07:20:14 PM »
I fixed it. :) The next thing is to make everything waterproof. Thought to use plastidip, but I need to use it on the engine itself?

Offline vapid2323

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 01:32:16 AM »
I fixed it. :) The next thing is to make everything waterproof. Thought to use plastidip, but I need to use it on the engine itself?

I have been told quite a few times not to waterproof the engine, I am sure someone will give more detail.

Offline Milhouse

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 07:11:31 PM »
Yes, I will use something cald "plasti dip" to make it waterproof.

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 09:42:02 PM »
Connectors can be made water proof but don't do anything more. Maybe at heavy rain the battery will get some fluid inside but the engine in my case has never ever had any water inside and sealing it will prefent heat getting out the engine and will cause cut-off(what i've read on the forum is that there is a temp. meter and a cut off temp.)

Hope this helps