Author Topic: Who's using PI-200 Controller USB Cable??  (Read 30017 times)

Offline GrandadPete

Re: Who's using PI-200 Controller USB Cable??
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2010, 02:49:06 PM »
I thought I read earlier that you can only communicate when the battery is not connected, how can you change parameters on the fly.
Pete (Newbie sorting out my son-in-law's twin pie)

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2010, 04:37:29 PM »
I'll forgive you for being a newbie :D

Well basically - you switch the power off first. Duhh ;)

Haha techincally - you do this via solid state/latching relays that are pulsed or switched with a lower voltage.
I run 48v + 12v lithium pack. 48v for the wheels and 12v for the accessories.

I'll be using a pair of latching relays. They are beginning to become a part of mine and Les' family I'm seeing haha
Having the secondary power source allows me to wire in remote start, alarm etc.

Anyway the plan is to make a GUI touchscreen that can control parameters on the fly as well as log other data.

I'm expecting the total delay will be no more than 1 second. I'm getting closer with the comms though!!

Give me a week and I will have a basic circuit to switch the pie power connector off, apply 5v to the signal wires via a circuit, then spit some strings at it to see if I can change regen, total speed and currents on the move.

I feel it's really unnecessary to nearly fall off the bike when applying throttle at speed when I can make a circuit that has 'take off' , 'hill' and cruise mode.

yay

Offline GrandadPete

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2010, 09:56:39 PM »
Woooooo who's a clever boy then !!!!!

The only thing that would worry me would be the massive feedback from the motor when you switch off the power???

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2010, 03:59:37 AM »
Hey mate

I'm not sure what you mean by feedback! Anyway will be good to get this happenin :)

Offline GrandadPete

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2010, 09:41:42 AM »
Good morning
By feedback I meant when the MP suddenly changes from a 48volt motor to a three phase AC generator with no battery to absorb the load. Is the protection circuitry in the controller up to the job???
Just a thought !!!!!!!

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2010, 04:51:08 PM »
Oh I see, and yes you are 100% correct, apart from the motor spontaneously turning into an AC motor, its a brushless DC motor :D
I know if I ride my bike at speed without the controller on, I can get throttle lights and even power LED's from the power output of the wheel....

What I don't get is, any action from the controller - and with the controller 'not on' then I assume I can still program it, if I can do that. hmmmm

So there is some signs that point to NO here but I'm still gunna try !!

Hey you have been playing around with the cable - have you had any luck on connecting? Or were you using the GM cable

Cheers

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2010, 07:03:18 PM »
He said AC generator not AC motor, AC is what comes from a coil that passes a N and S orientated magnet.  What he was talking about though is when the connection to the battery is severed the rider may induce the brakes and trigger regen.  At high RPM if there is no path to the battery and regen is left unchecked and starts firing away at you caps.  Magnets and coils in regen induction can generated hundreds of volts in the milliamps if they have no load to keep the sharp voltage tail of rapidly expansion and avalanche magnetic field moments from opposing polarities.

The 63v cap and field effect transistor is sensitive to high voltage spikes and begin to fail either ultra fast or over time.

In essence you need an AC compatible circuit to pass current in two directions.

A spike can be so fast and small in width, as magnetic resolution and energy transmission is subatomic and IMO can effect the ion bonding of barrier materials in electronic components abroad.  Where as digital resolution of most microprocessors again IMO is not up to the task.  For the short term the EM sensor may give some protection but the end result will always be the same.

Analogue sensors would be faster but still you have to have a spike to trigger it and in this situation the egg always comes before the chicken.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 07:07:28 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline GrandadPete

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2010, 07:12:33 PM »
Could not have put it better myself.!!!!!!!!
in other words BANG.
Pete

Offline chris1

• Confirmed
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2010, 07:20:56 PM »
Hello,
sorry for my bad english.
I have a problem, I have the BAC-02?? controller and PI-0200E
external interface.
My Question: where do I socket for PI-0200E in the BAC -02?? Controller.
Have a picture or a guide?!

best regards
chris

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2010, 12:56:53 AM »
My Question: where do I socket for PI-0200E in the BAC -02?? Controller.
Have a picture or a guide?!

Welcome to the forum Chris.

The lead should plug straight into the controller as shown in the attached picture below.
The picture quality is pretty poor, but the connection will hopefully be obvious.

Alan

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2010, 11:53:27 PM »
Could not have put it better myself.!!!!!!!!
in other words BANG.
Pete

Geeez okay well I'll install 3 transistors inside the hub casing, there's plenty of room in there anyway. That will stop any exclamation marks flying around ;) You could even put 3 latching relays in there if you want to get clunky.

Quick thought of code to go like this:

1.switch off controller battery power
2.delay
3.switch off fets
4delay
5check for voltage on fet emitter
6.if voltage exceeds X then goto 5. else continue
7.program wheel with desired settings
8delay
9.switch on fets
10.switch on battery power

go baby go

I'll connect the base signal wire to my unused PAS wiring. BANG

I can always just set my bike to 'power/economy' mode before commuting anyway. Or I can ride and think "hmmm my regen is not strong enough" then next set of lights or stop I can adjust it. I don't adjust it that often, but would be good to have this option with a weekend worth of work once I understand the comms.

If/when I get pulled up by the cops I can also set it to snail mode at the push of a button via an interrupt, when if I had a push on/off switch somewhere that could be found it may be a different story.

Not really sure what the worry is, I'm sure you have ridden your bike with the battery connected/disconnected to the wheel at speed. It's still connected to the controller right?

You guys and your AC scare tactics trying to put a stick in monkeys spokes!

hehe

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Switching between Delta, Star and Neither
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2010, 02:24:17 AM »
You could even put 3 latching relays in there if you want to get clunky.

If you used 6 latching relays you could then switch the windings between Delta (high speed), Star (high torque) and Neither (100% disconnected from the controller to allow programming).

Although it could cause a major problem if one of the relays became stuck in the closed position, because you could end up shorting together two of the phase wires on the controller, and I'm guessing that would encourage really big exclamation marks to start flying around in there.:o

Alan

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2010, 04:39:53 AM »
Ahhh cool yes good thinkin that can be thrown into the recipe too

You could also check the state/configuration of the relays through the code, but knowing my initial testing experiences I would have that happen for sure lol

Offline Ramses

• Confirmed
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2010, 05:01:27 AM »
Hey, I am from germany, new in this forum. Who can exlain me "reverse mode"?IsnĀ“t that the same as "regen brake"?
Thank you! :)
ramses

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: The difference between Reverse and Regenerative Braking
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2010, 01:59:27 PM »
Hi Ramses andto the forum.

Reverse is not the same as Regenerative Braking, Regen can only be used while moving, and it's usually operated by the switch on the brake lever while braking to give an additional electromagnetic braking effect which also recharges the battery at the same time.It can be wired to the horn button as well as the brake switches, to allow Regen to be used without touching the brakes

The Reverse option simply allows the direction of the motor to be changed by simply operating a switch, which would then allow the throttle to be used to power the bike in reverse to assist in manoeuvring the bike backwards up slopes etc.
The software setting for the reverse scale speed should be set reasonably low to ensure the bike does not try to go too fast in reverse should you accidentally apply too much throttle.

A suitable switch would need to be wired up and Reverse would have to be enabled in the software settings before the Reverse function can be used, some Magic Pies with internal controllers were pre-configured in the software (and also pre-wired) to allow Reverse to be operated using the square red switch on the throttle body, but not all of the internal controllers were wired to allow the Reverse function to be used. :(

I think it should be possible to use reverse with all of the external cruise controllers if a switch is wired between the "R" and "Z/0V" connections on the controller.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:16:59 PM by Bikemad »