Author Topic: HPC100B -72V-300A- MOTOR CONTROLLER will work with a 1.5 kW hubmotor?  (Read 6831 times)

Offline Scooterdude

Hello,

I'm buiding a electric scooter with several parts. It was originally performed with a CVT, but I found it to noisy. I bought also second hand hubmotor with all components, but the controller doesn't work well.

Also for a better performance I wonder if the GM HPC100B -72V-300A- MOTOR CONTROLLER will work well with the 1500 W bushless DC hub motor. Or do I have to looking for a other hub motor?

I know this controller is more expensive, but this is the first pilot project I do and maybe I can use this controller in the next one. 

Jeroen

Swap scooter
Agm electric scooter
6 x 50Ah 12 V batteries
[/size][/size]

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: HPC100B -72V-300A- MOTOR CONTROLLER will work with a 1.5 kW hubmotor?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 02:17:30 PM »
Also for a better performance I wonder if the GM HPC100B -72V-300A- MOTOR CONTROLLER will work well with the 1500 W bushless DC hub motor. Or do I have to looking for a other hub motor?

Hi and welcome Scooterdude,

I think this controller would probably be a bit too powerful for a 1500W hub motor:
300A burst @ 72V = 21,600 Watts
100A continuous @ 72v = 7,200 Watts

This amount of power would probably damage the motor if full throttle was used under heavy load. (Pulling away on steep hills etc.)
If you were able to resist the temptation of twisting the throttle to much, the motor might survive for a while.

For the best performance, you would be better off with a high power motor which could make use of the extra power available from this controller.

Alan

Offline Scooterdude

Re: HPC100B -72V-300A- MOTOR CONTROLLER will work with a 1.5 kW hubmotor?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 05:55:36 PM »
Hi Alan,

Thanks voor your reply.

I guess I need a heavier hub motor, use the original 48 Volts or looking for programmable controller.

I read the GM's hub motor MW 16c doesn't perform very well and it's noisy. (If I'm wrong (or right) I gladly hear it.)
Here in Europe is it very difficult to get another brand than GM. I'm a bit concerned when I'm order from far away, they don't deliver what's promised.

But maybe I'll give it a try the HPC 100b with the 1500 W hub motor and be carefull toutching the throttle   ;D . At last, it's a pilot project!!

Jeroen