Author Topic: Noisy Spokes!  (Read 7042 times)

Offline Kodza

Noisy Spokes!
« on: September 12, 2009, 11:46:11 PM »
I wonder if anyone had a problem that I am facing- my friend just tried to ride my e-bike (1000W rear wheel with 48V/12Ah battery) and he is quite heavy person. After he tested bike, once I started driving, I noticed that I can hear some noise from back wheel, and I believe that is comming from spokes - like series of cracking sounds. I wonder if it is possible that spokes are bent and started making noise, and I wonder what can I do about that. Is it possible to change just a few spokes or it would be required to change them all?
I just assembled the bike and I used it for first 30km and this happened.
I would appreciate any advice that you might have.

Thanks!
Dejan

Offline muzza.au

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Noisy Spokes!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 07:48:19 AM »
Did you assemble the wheel straight out of the box? I've heard that some kits (not just from GM) come with loose spokes so they need to be tightened once installed on the bike. Just a few turns should do until they feel tight in your hands.

Muzza.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 10:24:33 AM »
I noticed that I can hear some noise from back wheel, and I believe that is comming from spokes - like series of cracking sounds. I wonder if it is possible that spokes are bent and started making noise, and I wonder what can I do about that.

Dejan, Hi and welcome.

Muzza is correct, as from your description it does sound like loose spokes. It is not uncommon for spokes to stretch and become loose, especially if they have been subjected to a heavy load. ;)
Make sure you tighten them evenly to ensure the wheel still runs true, but do not to overtighten them or they may brake.  
Keep an eye on the spokes as this may happen again if they are not fully settled in.

Alan

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 10:26:21 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Perbear

• Technical Officer
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 09:30:35 PM »
The spokes used by GM are quite thick and might lack some elasticity. It is wise to use double or tripple butted spokes of good quality that handle high tension so that the spokes never get fully relaxed even at severe loads. More about bicycle wheel spokes and tensioning can be found here in this nice article by Sheldon "Wheels" Brown: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#tensioning