Author Topic: 3 lights nogo  (Read 16418 times)

Offline timbizz

• Confirmed
3 lights nogo
« on: August 24, 2010, 12:53:52 AM »
i have a Magic Pie rear wheel 1000 watt with a internal controller.worked great for one day.then this problem started.turn on key 3 lights come on red green yellow turn throttle wheel starts to spin then stops lights go off and thats it . I checked battery volts 48 checked all connections I have a  spare throttle I also checked as well .with no resolve can someone help.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Low Battery Voltage
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 11:29:01 AM »
i checked battery volts 48 checked all connections I have a  spare throttle I also checked as well.

Hi andto the forum Timbizz.

If you have a GM battery and you're only getting 48V, I would suggest you recharge it fully before testing again, because 48V is pretty low.
48V equates to only 3.69V per cell (48V/13cells) which is almost fully discharged (97%):

After fully charging the battery, recheck its voltage, which should be around 54.6 volts fully charged (4.2V per cell), if the voltage is considerably lower than this, it could be that you have a charging problem.

If the voltage is correct, but the fault still persists, try and measure the battery output voltage while the fault is still apparent (while the battery indicator lights are still off).

Let us know what readings you get.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 08:03:26 PM by Bikemad »

Offline timbizz

• Confirmed
Re: 3 lights nogo
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 12:53:29 PM »
thank you for your reply I have been going crazy with this .only 48 volts after 6 hours on charger is all I am getting on the battery. I tested the charger output and got 51 to 54 volts what should the output voltage be

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 02:07:11 PM »
thank you for your reply I have been going crazy with this .only 48 volts after 6 hours on charger is all I am getting on the battery. I tested the charger output and got 51 to 54 volts what should the output voltage be

Around 52v and it should charge to 56v then sit on 52v while still in float mode. 

How is it going?  You riding yet?

Bring it on

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 02:33:57 PM »

If your charger has a switch to select the correct mains supply voltage, make sure it is set to the correct voltage.

If you only have 110V supply and the charger is set to 240 it will not be able to charge correctly.

Alan

Offline timbizz

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 10:28:14 PM »
Thanks guys for your help.just got home from work and back to trouble shooting.now im looking at the charger I have model #hp8204l li-ion battery charger with  red led on for power and when I plug the battery in led turns steady green right away but the battery voltage is only 48.4 volts. I opened battery messured voltage on input side with charger connected 45.9 I messured voltage from charger only with no battery 54.3 don't know why this is ?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Charger mains voltage switch
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 12:03:09 AM »

OMG I THINK I FIXED IT!!!!

On the back of the charger, you have a switch 230 for Europe and 115 for USA...

I had it on 230 the whole time, as soon as I changed it, the charger fliped from a green (done charging light) to a yellow light! now my volts jumped up to 49.5

Vapid had a HP8204L3 charger.

Have you checked your HP8204L charger for this switch yet?

Alan

Offline timbizz

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 12:07:09 AM »
sorry , yes I checked the switch it is set for 110 volts

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Charger voltage
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 12:23:03 AM »

Vapid had 53.1V on the 230V setting with 110V supply, which is similar to your 54.3V.

Try moving the switch to the other setting and see what happens, I'm just wondering if the switch has somehow been wired or fitted the wrong way around. It could be as simple as a dirty switch contact, and moving the switch a few times might help to clean the contacts.

Let us know if the charger output voltage drops, increases or stays the same.

Alan

P.S. Do not try this if you have 240V mains supply!

Offline timbizz

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 12:38:28 AM »
tried moving switch back and forth even tried setting charger on 230v same output voltage

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 12:51:49 AM »
tried moving switch back and forth even tried setting charger on 230v same output voltage

It looks like you may have a faulty charger. :(

If it came from a local dealer, contact them direct and see what their procedure is.
If it was purchased from GM in China, you will need to contact Tom (zhourenli@goldenmotor.com) and briefly explain that your new charger does not seem to have enough output to charge the 48V battery.

Alan

Offline timbizz

• Confirmed
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 01:06:44 AM »
thanks for your reply, Iwill contact tom about the charger. do you know of any other charger that would work. I would like to have 2 chargers for the bike . I looked at GM web site I didnt see a # or a way just to order the 48 volt charger alone

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 01:17:12 AM »
I looked at GM web site I didnt see a # or a way just to order the 48 volt charger alone

I think you'll need to email sales@goldenmotor.com.
Tell them exactly what you want and where you live, they should be able to quote you a price.

Alan

Offline timbizz

• Confirmed
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 02:03:08 AM »
Thanks for all your help. I sent Tom an email about the charger.hope he gets back to me.I would buy a aftermarket charger if knows of one that will work  just to get my e bike on the road.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Warranty issues
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 01:26:14 PM »
Thanks for all your help. I sent Tom an email about the charger.hope he gets back to me.I would buy a aftermarket charger if knows of one that will work  just to get my e bike on the road.

I expect there are many chargers around that could be used to charge your 48V battery, but as GM have recently said that using a non GM battery will invalidate your motor's warranty ???, I wouldn't be too surprised if GM turn around and say that you will also invalidate your battery's warranty by using a non GM charger.

Hi all,

I know some of you have been suffering from a lack of response syndrome caused by us.

If you have:

1)No response within 5 working days.
2)To check whether your warranty claims are valid.
3)Issues with the MAGIC PIE or DUAL DRIVE.
4)A problem to complain about any forum member.

Please email me at yaoyuan@goldenmotor.com

(N.B. I must say first about those who have not bought a complete set from GM. If you have used GM batteries with other Motors and Controllers, your warranty claim will NOT be valid UNLESS it is a mechanical failure of the motor. If the PCB burns or FETS fail or anything of that sort, you must have used a complete GM kit, and proved that the failure is caused by something from GM, then you'll have a valid warranty claim and GM will replace/repair your product in the fastest way possible.)

You might want to check with Yao whether another charger can be used without invalidating your warranty.

Alan