Author Topic: Disabling Regen Mode on BAC028  (Read 10326 times)

Offline bragu

• Confirmed
  • Chi va piano, va sano e va lontano
Disabling Regen Mode on BAC028
« on: August 09, 2009, 09:48:22 PM »

Somebody know how disabling the regen breaking mode (because I have a lifepo battery with a BMS) but still using the brake to disabling the cruise on the bac028 ?

thx for any help

Offline Gregte

• Confirmed
Re: Disabling Regen Mode on BAC028
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 07:52:39 AM »
This is not a very good solution but what I do is just unplug one of the brake lever wires. I have a front hub motor so I unplug the rear brake wires. Then I use the rear brakes to stop if my battery voltage is high, such as when I start out with a freshly charged battery. Once the voltage is lower after riding a few miles I can use the front brake also (it still has the regen braking) and it does not charge the battery hard enough to raise the voltage into the over voltage cutoff range.

Offline bragu

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 09:50:10 PM »
Do you use a LifePo4 battery with BMS ?
I read in the forum that regen could damage  this type of battery.
I would ask you if you notice some torque on the fork at the beginning of break,  I'm worried that all this  will at the end broke the dropouts of the fork .

I hope to read about you experience.

Sincerly

ps: In meanwhile I turn off the controller on long descending, or I use, me too, only the rear break because is a pneumatic Brake Brake (sorry for my english) without electric switch.

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 11:41:40 PM »
I have not heard of the battery being damaged by
regen.

The forum has been talking about the controller being
damaged by kicking the controller on in regen
while the bike is moving.

They said that a new Diode in the newer controllers fixes that.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 11:43:28 PM »
Do you use a LifePo4 battery with BMS?
I read in the forum that regen could damage  this type of battery.

I would ask you if you notice some torque on the fork at the beginning of break,  I'm worried that all this will at the end broke the dropouts of the fork.

Bragu,

Regen can cause damage to the speed controller not the battery.
(Turning off the controller on long descents is not recommended for this very reason.)

If your forks are starting to break you should replace them quickly before they fail completely.

If you are concerned that they might break (but have not started to break yet) you might want to fit some form of torque arm.

See this post for a cheap D.I.Y. option.

Alan

« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 03:45:53 PM by Bikemad »

Offline bragu

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 05:50:43 PM »
Hi e-lmer,

my english was not so good and may be I misunderstanding so I hope you are right and I will not have any problem: any damange on the LifePo battery needer on the BMS  ;-)

Hi Bikemad,

thank for the tips, I will look of it could be used on the Tora Rock Shock Fork.
Just one precision : the arm  is not starting to broke but when the wheel go in regen mode it make some forces on the arm and this may "shock" may Rock Shock.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 09:34:10 PM »
They said that a new Diode in the newer controllers fixes that.

Just to clarify the above statement, the diode was fitted across the switch contacts inside recent GM battery packs prior to the modifications made to the speed controllers.
(With the modified speed controllers, the diode is no longer required.)

Quote from: Yao Yuan (GM Representative)
We have recently enhanced the cruise controller to detect if the battery pack is in place. If the battery is switched off, or is not connected at all, the controller will check the back EMF voltage, if it exceeds the preset limit, the controller will disable the regenerative braking to protect controller from being damaged.

Quote from: Yao Yuan (GM Representative)
As of today, 22/7/2009, the day of the eclipse, all GoldenMotor controllers have a new function to deal with the issue of regen braking burning out the controller while battery is off.

Alan

« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 09:09:33 AM by Bikemad »

Offline bragu

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 08:38:09 PM »
I notice that if I disconnect the battery from the controller the wheel run free that means it's not in regen mode.
If I use the break I don't feel the wheel going in regen mode, so I suppose it will not damage the controller or I'm wrong ?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 12:16:25 AM »
I notice that if I disconnect the battery from the controller the wheel run free that means it's not in regen mode.
If I use the break I don't feel the wheel going in regen mode, so I suppose it will not damage the controller or I'm wrong ?

Bragu,

If you go fast enough with the battery disconnected and then use the brake it can damage the controller.

As the electrical energy generated by the motor during regen cannot be absorbed by the battery if it is switched off or disconnected, if you go too fast the voltage level will rise too high and can damage one or more of the components inside the controller.

for a more detailed explanation, read this post by Gregte

If the components fail it can cause the motor to behave as if regen is permanently on at all times making it very difficult to pedal the bike.

If this occurs, you would need to disconnect the three large motor wires from the controller so you could pedal the bike home again.

Alan

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 01:15:35 AM »
Golden Motor will add a function into the controller to allow rider to disable/enable regenerative braking by pressing cruise button 3 times. The new release will be available soon.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 09:19:10 AM »
Golden Motor will add a function into the controller to allow rider to disable/enable regenerative braking by pressing cruise button 3 times. The new release will be available soon.

Yao,

That sounds good, will this new function be included with the Magic Pie as well?

Alan

P.S. I'm still looking forward to some more pictures, a manual and a release date for the Magic Pie.

Offline bragu

• Confirmed
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 11:13:57 PM »
This sound good for me too but ... I just buyed this new controller so I would like to use it and I think I will disconnect the break ... losing the reset of the cruise control.

If I can make a wish is to have a controller that on going down hill I could decide how much could the controller "break" to recharge = controlling the down speed (ex max 40km/h if faster it will use to recharge)

Offline Gregte

• Confirmed
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 05:12:13 PM »
Another thing that I did, but have since disconnected, is that I used the otherwise unused headlight on/off switch on the handlebar to turn off the regen circuit or turn it on. It is just a simple single pole single throw switch which you can use to disconnect the brake lever switches. This  has the same effect as unplugging the brake lever switches thus turning OFF regen braking. This also means that the brake levers will not turn off the cruise function
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 03:42:45 PM by Gregte »

Offline bragu

• Confirmed
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 07:43:06 PM »
I'm thinking to use a rele and "build" my selft the cruise controll: see picture attached.

I will remove from my thumb throttler the spring so I stay in the posistion I set when I run.
To run I need to turn On the switch on the throttler (I don't need reverse function)  when I break the rele is powered so I turn off the power of the throttler.

To reset I need just to turn off/on the throttler switch.

Offline Phil

• Confirmed
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 12:36:48 AM »
Hi,
I've just installed my first motor, rear 750W, 36W 16Ah battery.
I don't want to have the regen braking at all as most of my riding is fairly flat & normal brakes work fine. Does disabling this by removing the wires from the controller damage the motor in any way?
Thanks,

Phil
250W 36V Mini Motor
Silverback Mercury2 26" MTB
Magic controler
Ping 36V 10Ah Battery
CA
Land of OZ