Author Topic: what size torque arm do I need?  (Read 8094 times)

Offline alsline

• Confirmed
  • older than dirt
what size torque arm do I need?
« on: June 29, 2009, 04:36:53 PM »
Hi hello everyone newbie here. Could anyone tell me what size torque arm I should buy and where to get one from? I have on order an 1,000 watt front motor kit from g/m, thanks Al.

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
Re: what size torque arm do I need?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 10:18:34 PM »

This is the first one I found online:
http://contact.ebay.com/ws1/eBayISAPI.dll?ShowEmailAuctionToFriend&item=310147938134

I asked at a local machine shop, and they can make me something similar
for around the same price out of stainless steel.

stl_recum

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 02:00:12 AM »
The key to a good torque arm is the fit on the motor shafts. Any play will allow the axel to turn and eventually either damage the dropouts or the motor wiring.

search out the endless sphere forum on google. it is another e-bike forum. There you will find many threads on torque arms / fit and size.

Offline jjggbb

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 03:37:28 AM »
I got mine from Sears for $6.59.  I think most hardware stores carry them.  If you want to go cheaper you might try an estate sale or a pawn shop. I went with Sears because if it ever breaks Sears will replace it for free.  Also, the hardened forged stainless steel won't rust so much.   Two important notes: First, they come in a variety of sizes, so make sure you get a snug fit.  I have 48V/1000W rear motor and the 10mm size is a nice snug fit.  Second, most places don't call them torque arms, they call them wrenches.

Picture of my torque arm installed using a hose clamp and piece of old bicycle inner tube:

http://s619.photobucket.com/albums/tt276/jjjgggbbb/?action=view&current=torquearm.jpg

Offline jjggbb

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 06:06:32 AM »
I had a forehead thumping moment when I realized that I my cargo bike has over-sized axles.  Wrenches might not work on a normal axle size  Well, if you have enough meat in your dropouts, maybe you can drill out the slot some so you can rotate the axle as needed.

Offline kostelacj

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 01:26:18 PM »
Brilliant! Outside the box. Thank you!

Offline alsline

• Confirmed
  • older than dirt
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 08:59:12 PM »
Wow, thankyou very much for the links and the home brew version that really is very clever  8) Thanks again, Al.

Offline TheKid

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 04:15:35 AM »
I got mine from Sears for $6.59. 

Now that's what I call a torque ARM. All the others seem to be torque tabs.