Author Topic: Ordered my Magic pie KIT 17-11-2009 Netherlands  (Read 100152 times)

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
Re: Ordered my Magic pie KIT 17-11-2009 Netherlands
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2010, 09:18:02 PM »
Is it just me? or is there not a motor I can find on that bike?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Stealth motors
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2010, 09:59:27 PM »

That's because it's equipped with the latest GM "dual nano motors", so small they cannot be detected with the naked eye!
Yao, you really must keep up to date with your company's products!

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 06:16:14 PM by Bikemad »

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2010, 12:00:41 AM »

The motor is waiting for a new rim. And to be correcly centered :D

Offline Jazzjerry

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Carpe Noctum
    • Beeldhout
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2010, 09:39:06 AM »
LOL  :D

Hello Yao,
My Magic pie is getting respoked since the ofset was to much to fit my frame....

. _   _   __  __  ___  ____  ____  _     _   ____  ____
 ( )_( ) (  ) (  )(  _ \ (  _ \ (  _  )(  \/\/ ) ( ___) (  _ \
  ) _ (   )(__)(  ) _<  )___/ )(_)(  )      (   )__)   )    /
 (_) (_)(_____)(__ / (__)  (____)(__/\__)(____)(_)\_)

Offline Jazzjerry

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Carpe Noctum
    • Beeldhout
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2010, 05:23:48 PM »
Got my motor and rim in today...

Hooked it up (rest of the system was ready to go...... WHHHWHWWOOOOOOOOOOO000000000000oooooooooo.................

Cool...!!!!

Did not charge the bat since it came in... Drove at night 1..AM till the throttle bat indicator turned orange and last night had it charged. Today went playing. I live on a hill and I think it took me a couple of hours to get it empty again. Eventually the red led appeared so it shows up in time to get home. Not long after though full stop.......

Took a snowy mud trail as well... Now its all cleaned and warm in my shed getting a new charge.....

Foto,s and more will follow.

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2010, 05:26:28 PM »
Oh all right, must have been too much booze during the new year season. All I can see here are beautiful chinese girls and beer. Nothing else! Wait... am I having a hangover right now? why am I even posting this?

Offline Jazzjerry

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Carpe Noctum
    • Beeldhout
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2010, 05:28:36 PM »
Booze and girls.....

Whish I was there.....

Show off my new ebike and pick up girls......... LOL   :D

Offline Mabman

• Confirmed
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2010, 07:35:10 PM »
Booze and girls.....

Whish I was there.....

Show off my new ebike and pick up girls......... LOL   :D

Your girlfriend may not like that much and one that will allow you to work on your bike in the living room like yours is a keeper, so don't mess that up ;D

My new girlfriend, who in fact is a newer addition to my life than my MP, has her own shop and I have my Bumvee in there right now doing a rebuild on it. Her work is shown here: http://steelroseart.artspan.com/ I told her I was only going out with her for her shop space last night and she still cooked me stir fry ;D

Offline Jazzjerry

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Carpe Noctum
    • Beeldhout
First impression review..... Ordered my Magic pie KIT 17-11-2009 Netherlands
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2010, 05:54:10 PM »
Hello Mabman,

Had a look at your GF's website.
She is an artist.... nice work. One of my best mates and neighbour is a mettal sculptor as wel. His name is Arild Veld..

http://www.galeries.nl/mnkunstenaar.asp?artistnr=13499&vane=1&em=&meer=&sessionti=892697359
http://www.kropot.nl/openkw/index.htm Some photo,s of our artist colonie.

And let me tell you, one that you have tried to warn and push away, and still cooks stirr fry is a keeper......
Tried to push my love ages ago, scared that she would not be happy with me and my lifestyle....... Still together and have a beutifull son. And in sence of my lifestyle ..... wel she sometimes likes it, sometimes hates it and sometimes learns from it. But she is not trying to change me into something I am not.....

She is a keeper as well.. LOL

The Who42,

You are wright about the off center wheel. The rest of the problems I did not have. My sprocket fitted perfectly without washers. My Disc fitted the motor without washers too. The orrigional brake units I had (shimano) did not fit. But the cheap disc breaks from GM I also bought could be adjuste so that the brakes fitted perfectly on my frame.

The off centre wheel however is my biggest problem so far.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But now my personal first impression review about the PIE.

I think it is not as perfect as some of the specs I found on this forum show. Not that I think is crap, but it needs some more attention. My top speed for exxample is 35kph... Instead of the topspeed stated here in the forum of 45kph. I have not figured out yet what the cause is. Might be my battery. Stil in the proces of hooking up my cycle analyst. As soon as I get some data from that I will try to find out if my GM 48v 12ah battery is a monday morning battery or something. I noticed that even after charging the throttle leds go orange after 10 minutes when asking full throttle.

Next the PAS.

I can't seem to get it to work propperly yet. Thought it worked last night, but today I realy wanted to test the pedelic function and it did not work. I do hear a beep when I press the Cruise controll button twice but that is about all the action I get from the Pie. Peddeling foreward or backward, no active propulsion.

Last and Worst thing I found is the off center rim and bad spoke job. Why not have the rimm in the middle? And why do I have to readjust my spokes every ride....
Because of the big size of the motor (which I think is cool and nice) the spokes are putunder an angle that is not normal for a standard rim. This results in bent spokes and spokethreads and difficulties to even respoke the motor.

I think the only sollution here is to get a rim that has custom angled spokeholes to keep the spokes and spokenipples in a straight line towards the hub.

For the rest I thinke the washers that come with the motor should be in a selection of different diameters (so you can align the wheel better) and stainless.

Another nasty wobbly thing is the battery that does not sit tight enough on the rear rack. Ever stone peddle or bump in the road results in noise from the battery

Last the prommised anti theft setting........

Well what can I say... It does not work...

For the rest I think it is a beutifull looking well finished motor, with a lot of potention when the first designer flaws will be perfected. When you are handy enough to do some things yourself and don't expect wonders the Magic Pie is a good option, and a reasonable cheap option to convert your bike into a modern self propelled electric vehicle. The contolls all feel a little cheap and plastic but do their job as stated.

The regen function of the controller is a big plus+ in sence of thinking ahead and giving the consumer and the environment a bonus. I think this Regen function makes the Pie kit a very complete package that will guide  consumers towards the more advanced choise they can make in the world of DIY kits.

The real speed freaks and overclockers will go for other motors, controllers and battery,s but for a top of the line kit that does a lot of what is expected for a high end consumer.

THIS KIT IS GOOD. (and if they take out the design flaws stated above)the GM Magic Pie kit will be one of the best.

Best regards,

A happy consumer that tried the py and likes it....... Hopefully this revieuw will give GM a help in the wright direction, because they are not there yet but nearly....

JJ

« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 06:15:54 PM by Jazzjerry »

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2010, 01:55:48 AM »
I agree you with everything! I have some comments :D

I think the only sollution here is to get a rim that has custom angled spokeholes to keep the spokes and spokenipples in a straight line towards the hub.

For this series, yes, good and cheap solution, but they need to do the Pi 2.0, with a wider spoke section.

For the rest I thinke the washers that come with the motor should be in a selection of different diameters (so you can align the wheel better) and stainless.

FOR SURE, EVERYTHING. The shaft could also be made of stainless, mine is beginning to rust very superficially,  but is controllable with good care.

Another nasty wobbly thing is the battery that does not sit tight enough on the rear rack. Ever stone peddle or bump in the road results in noise from the battery

To me the Velcro solved it for good, could be standard with the kit, or use some Teflon spacer.

About the speed, I'm starting to have some problems, I'll do more tests next week with the watt meter, but my real max now is something close to 40km/h that meets some calculation I did and needed to be verified :D

I did some not controlled tests (my comute, with some peddaling and small hills):

Dist.      10910 meters
Ah      4,581
Wh      209,3
Ah/km   0,42
Wh/km   19,2

Av. max power inpt 1356,8W
Av. max amp. inp. 30,17A

Speed maximum, 45km/h but sure was downhill. The good speed is between 30 km/h and 35km/h, with maximum of 41 km/h. Pedaling with everything I got of renewable fat energy in plain terrain I can reach 48km/h (with the motor of course, with out in I could die in 25km/h :D).

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Problems with spokes
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
Last and Worst thing I found is the off center rim and bad spoke job. Why not have the rimm in the middle? And why do I have to readjust my spokes every ride....
Because of the big size of the motor (which I think is cool and nice) the spokes are put under an angle that is not normal for a standard rim. This results in bent spokes and spokethreads and difficulties to even respoke the motor.

I think the only sollution here is to get a rim that has custom angled spokeholes to keep the spokes and spoke nipples in a straight line towards the hub.

Jerry,

I fully agree with the spoke angle problem, which cannnot help to maintain an even tension on the spokes.

Due to the large angle between the spoke and the rim (See attachments below for more details), the nipples cannot seat correctly and as a result of this, the tensile force of each spoke is concentrated on one very small point of contact, instead of being spread evenly around the head of the nipple.

As the nipple tries to pull itself down to seat onto the rim, this single contact point will act as a pivot for the nipple, causing it to bend the spoke whilst trying to achieve the impossible (a fully supported and correctly seated position in the rim).

Unfortunately, the nipple will never be correctly seated in the rim, so it has no option but to spend the rest of its life under unnecessary strain waiting for something to eventually fail.

I suspect the loosening of the spokes is probably due to this:

Quote from:  Justin Lemire-Elmore (ebikes.ca)
A common reason for spokes to fail on hub motors isn't because the motor puts extra strain on the spokes, or because the spokes aren't a thick enough gauge, it's because of fatigue failure from spokes that aren't held snug against the flange. If the spoke bend radius is too large or too far from the head, then it can flex up and down at the bend with each wheel rotation, eventually causing it to crack and fail.

This problem has been legendary with overseas built hub motors, and we had some Crystalyte shipments where about half the customers would experience spoke breakage on a recurring basis. Ideally the distance between the head and the bend in your spoke will match the thickness of the hub flange, and you won't have problems. But if not, there are two ways to address the situation. One is to insert a washer under the spoke head. The second way is to lace the wheel in an over/under pattern, such that the spoke tension compresses the bend part of the spoke into the flange.

Quote from: Sapim.be website
Please note:
Ideal hub hole Ø equals spoke thread Ø + 0.1 mm (eg. spoke thread on 14G/2 mm measures thread 2.25 mm + 0.1 = 2.35 mm: max. hole Ø 2.50 mm).
- flanges which are too thin and / or hub holes which are too large in which case the spoke angle of 95° could increase to 120°

Correctly mounted SAPIM spokes never elongate. However, an incorrect hub can cause the bending angle to enlarge (elongation of the bend up to +1.5 mm per spoke) and buckle wheels.

- Oversized flanges cause extra pressure on the spoke heads. In consequence, the heads pop off.
- Consider spoke washers

Does anyone else have any thoughts or useful suggestions regarding this subject?

Alan

« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 03:03:36 PM by Bikemad »

Offline eric.nl

• Confirmed
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2010, 07:58:35 PM »
Hi Jeroen,

I am Eric, also from the Netherlands (Tilburg). I bought a Magic Pie at Devi Comfort. Had to wait for more than a month for delivery. And still waiting for the battery (48v 12Ah). I now use  4x12V SLA (7 Ah) to test drive my bike.
My PAS (pedelec) is working but its not nice. Its like on off on off and then at full power, I disconneted it. I am looking for an other solution.

I also bought a Cycle Analist (Stand alone version) at ebikes.ca, so I can limiet my speed en power-output for legal use.
I put in the  diode as discrypt in the CA manual, but that didn't work. So I removed (short cutted) the R6 resistor in the CA and now it's working, limiting my speed and amp's.

BTW: nice bike you have there.
My rim is also off center (about 1 cm) , but still clear from the frame.

I am looking for a 7 speed 11-28t freewheel, I now have a 6speed 14-28, I miss the little one. So if anyone knows a cheap address.........

Offline Jazzjerry

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Carpe Noctum
    • Beeldhout
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2010, 08:51:10 PM »
Hello Eric,

I have not tried the speed limit function of my Cycle analyst yet. I will have to wait untill I get a new throttle since mine is broken at the moment. If it works (with the diode) that I did put in as well I will let you know. Did you put the diode in the right way polarity wise?

Anyway I will tell you when everything works.

I also made a new case for the cycle analyst from a log (wood) Used a 8 pole waterproof connector to make it disconectable and 2 switches 1 speed limmit through variable resistor and 2 eco mode or current limmiter.

Offline Jazzjerry

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Carpe Noctum
    • Beeldhout
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2010, 10:30:09 AM »
Last photo by daylight

Offline Mabman

• Confirmed
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2010, 08:31:13 PM »
That CA case is pure art. You should make and sell them. I'll take mine made of Purple Heart please so it won't rot here in the pacific north wet ;D Oh wait, I don't have a CA, yet. The Turnigy is working fine for my needs as I just want the info and don't need to restrict power as I am good to go here in OR with 1000w and use 48v lifepo4 12ah.

Well, off on a 20 mile ride to Carol's shop to switch out the 49cc motor with a 31cc (35cc limit here) on my gas bike. Because at the end of the day, it is way more fun than the electric. Especially for long distance adventuring. But for in town electric works better. If I ever need both I can hook up my pusher trailer to the gas bike though and get the best of both worlds. Will be recabling and replacing the chain(s) the bike also as long as I have it up on the bench. Working on bikes is fun luckily ;)