Author Topic: PAS issues with SmartPie  (Read 2630 times)

Offline Lcltech

• Confirmed
PAS issues with SmartPie
« on: August 01, 2014, 11:29:11 AM »
Hi

I have connected the PAS sensor in a attempt to make my bike legal. PAS mode on the SmartPie seems to work very poorly. I have two issues:

1. Even in low setting the motor is very agressive and why there is only three levels instead of procentage scale is beyound me. It may ignore the acceleration limit I made?

2. It seems to ignore at least the speed limitations configured by the software. Currently the speed limit is set to 50% which gives approx. 20kmph with the trottle. With PAS the speed goes way beyond 28kmph. I didn't dare to try to go faster(it is a 3 wheeled cargobike).

It is an 24inch rear wheel with 48V battery.

Does any body have any solutions on how to solve this?

Offline Lcltech

• Confirmed
Re: PAS issues with SmartPie
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 08:02:04 AM »
Just an update:

It seems that I am not the only one who has this problem:
http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=4241.msg24711#msg24711

It seems that GM have not implementet the PAS function correctly, if you want it to be legal in EU(or at least Denmark). So basically you cannot legally use Smartpie/magicpieIII in EU!

My solution is to put an arduino in series to interpret the signal the may they should >:(

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: PAS issues with SmartPie
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 01:12:52 PM »
The operation of the GM pedal assist has never been very nice to use, which is why I ended up removing it from my bike completely. ;)

Ginge fitted a pedal sensor which produces a variable voltage output wired through a Cycle Analyst, but it might be possible to connect it directly to the throttle input instead of (or even as well as) the throttle to ensure the maximum programmed speed is not exceeded.
So unlike the pulse pedelec, this one can be manipulated, either by the cycle analyst, resistors, potentiometer for speed limit etc.

The more expensive option is to fit a torque sensing pedal spindle linked to a Cycle Analyst to provide fully adjustable assistance.

Alternatively, if you had used a 24V 20Ah battery instead of the 48V 10Ah battery the maximum speed would have been a lot lower and would probably have been low enough to comply with the required maximum pedelec speed, and the 24V battery would have been cheaper too. :)

Alan