Author Topic: *resolved* Loud knocking noise coming from Brand New MP - then dies (again)  (Read 80021 times)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Loud knocking noise coming from Brand New MP - then dies
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2010, 10:33:37 PM »
Honestly I didn't check it for that but I'm sure it is pretty much the same. It's amazing I was able to do that test and video it on the day I returned from vacation. If this is satisfactory contact me in email and we will get it done.

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2010, 12:08:24 AM »
I'll see what videos I can come up with for examples.

I remember when I first ran the 16" cast wheel on a standard BMX with widened rear dropouts, when I went for my first ride there was an unbearable clicking/clunking/tonking sound that drove me bananas - on inspecting the wheel under load, the valve cap was hitting on my frame!! Bahhh annoying

Apart from that, the wheels are not 'silent' but present a bit of a groan, whir and whine noise I guess. I will say that riding down a street or bike track people will turn around from a fair distance as they can hear me coming. I like that though !!

Anyway good post :)

If the spokes are not seated properly I would expect some ticking noise and more of the 'creak' noise when under loud.

Mine groans and clicks slightly under huge load and it doesn't have any spokes! I don't want to do that to my special gal though... Shes too purdy :D

Offline Magzy

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2010, 02:23:23 AM »

So, an update on the loud knocking/ pinging noise.

Gary's sending me the motor that he tested in video along with a couple of extra bits I need.
I'm sending my defective one back to him along with the broken controller and bearings so he can use them at will.

Will take about 2 weeks to arrive here in Aus land.

So I'm cautiously optimistic that a resolution to this problem will manifest itself by the 21st Nov.

Check back then to see if it has...

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all who have contributed to resolving / diagnosing said issues in a positive way and a special mention to Gary who's been epic in his resolve to put right the issues I have faced.

Regards,
Magz

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 02:43:25 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2010, 06:51:31 AM »
Actually that video is a good one.  With all the background noise of the tire on the road and if there is any traffic in comparison to a brushed motor you could call this silent,  For want of a better term is ultra low noise high powered brushless motor.

The only thing that the video doesnt show is the clicking noise the MP makes at very low RPM one experinces during the initial stage in take offs..

One good comparison is a egg beater fishing reel when you get a big fish on the line it goes; "tick click tick", as the whopper takes the bait. When the big.fish hits the throttle the reel goes wizzzzzz.  Garys video shows when the big fish makes a run for it.  The MP goes wizzz,

Edit:

And this is not related to the gear freewheel sound either, it the MP or magic controller causing a magnetic resonant  sound,
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 06:57:14 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2010, 07:48:37 AM »

Gary's sending me the motor that he tested in video along with a couple of extra bits I need.
I'm sending my defective one back to him along with the broken controller and bearings so he can use them at will.

So I'm cautiously optimistic that a resolution to this problem will manifest itself by the 21st Nov.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all who have contributed to resolving / diagnosing said issues in a positive way and a special mention to Gary who's been epic in his resolve to put right the issues I have faced.

Regards,
Magz

It seems like we've both had to be patient on getting our pies sorted. I'm hopefully going to be test riding my conversion today after waiting a month from purchase on gettin ot all sorted. I will also make a video of the motor running and under load when I get a chance this week.  I think there will have to an 18 certificate rating on the photos I put up as the bike is so damn sexy.  :D

Andrew :)

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2010, 08:22:18 AM »

Regards,
Magz

As the bike is so damn sexy.  :D

Andrew :)

;D

Sounds classy.  These forums along with the GM design look do inspire excellent looking vehicles.

Bring it on

Offline Magzy

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2010, 01:22:59 AM »
A large package arrived from Canada today.

<large grin coupled with the feeling of badassery to ensue>

but alas - won't have chance to respoke and fit it this weekend :(

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2010, 01:04:24 AM »
Glad to hear it! How does the box look?

Gary

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2010, 02:21:29 AM »
A large package arrived from Canada today.

<large grin coupled with the feeling of badassery to ensue>

but alas - won't have chance to respoke and fit it this weekend :(

My favorite news, Good news :D.

I"d just swap the stator and face plates from my spare motor to save respoking them but you don't have the old motor with rim true anymore do you?

Having a spare working motor can be advantageous when the motor you use breaks down..

Oh well.

Respoking can be fun, take a seat, sit back and relax and spoke that Pie already..  :P
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 02:24:03 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Magzy

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2010, 10:41:44 PM »
Glad to hear it! How does the box look?

Gary

Box was tip top Thanks Gary !
Everything inside and packed up nicely.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2010, 12:51:04 AM »

I"d just swap the stator and face plates from my spare motor to save respoking them but you don't have the old motor with rim true anymore do you?

Actually Magzy still does have the old motor. But please don't do this though. Have the new one laced in. I really want to hear the end result with a new motor and not a half and half situation.

Gary

Offline Magzy

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2010, 04:43:46 AM »

Actually Magzy still does have the old motor. But please don't do this though. Have the new one laced in. I really want to hear the end result with a new motor and not a half and half situation.

Gary

agreed..

I'll video the result - probably this weekend now when I get the time.

Offline Magzy

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
RE: Loud knocking noise coming from Brand New MP - then dies
« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2010, 11:11:19 AM »
ok I respoked the wheel, aligned it up (after reading how to spoke a wheel on t'internet) and...

I have to say that pinging noise is still there albeit much fainter and non existent after about 10km/h -  I can most certainly live with this.
Also, there is a lot less drag and noise when coasting = bonus!

so, only 3 months from ordering to getting a resolution.

Thanks gary and others here for your great support!

e-biking is great

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2010, 12:29:10 PM »

It's good to hear you're finally sorted Magzy.

Assuming you've had chance to try it out more, how does the acceleration and power compare with the noisier motor?

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:16:05 PM by Bikemad »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: RE: Loud knocking noise coming from Brand New MP - then dies
« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2010, 04:24:16 PM »
ok I respoked the wheel, aligned it up (after reading how to spoke a wheel on t'internet) and...

I have to say that pinging noise is still there albeit much fainter and non existent after about 10km/h -  I can most certainly live with this.
Also, there is a lot less drag and noise when coasting = bonus!

so, only 3 months from ordering to getting a resolution.

Thanks gary and others here for your great support!

e-biking is great

WooHoo! ;D

Enjoy the Ride!