Author Topic: Cycle analyst  (Read 25012 times)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Cycle analyst
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2010, 10:57:38 AM »
While out riding today, I decided to note power usage cruising at various speeds. I learned quickly that the slightest wind resistance really altered results. Specs are:

25 kph- 200 watts

This is close to the power consumption on my new protype solar powerd e-bike.

I have 36v 60 watt worth of panel.

It takes me 4 hours  to my stuff and get home, (1 hour ride) on a regular trip and 60 watts X 4 is 240 watts.   This is assisted by the solar panels and may at times be able to run solely on solar panels once I get it together properly. 

This would be interesting on the cycle analyst and maybe I should purchase one of these gadgets to properly interact within this thread and give some stast.

Any pictures of this setup, I am very interested to see this!

Gary

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2010, 03:20:16 AM »
Oh dear its a mess of solar panels and welded pipes ATM...  I am not a very good arc welder either.  I am getting better though.

I am building a better trailer thats closer to the ground as the panels made it a little top heavy and I would roll the trailer around turns, no damage to the panels either.

Solar panels are electrically and stronger and superior than a switch mode buck and built very strong.  They will last 25 years as long as I don't get hit by a car or fall on top of them drunk or something.  They still are very strong.

I am building it in the process and should do some photos.

The last trailer which I will post today only supported 2X10 watt and a single 20 watt.  I Put each panel outputs over each terminal so I could get the most out of the 20 watt..  
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 03:23:56 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2010, 03:59:50 AM »
Here ya.

I just put the protype quickly "back" together for this picture, just resting the panels ontop. I used bungy cords to keep them down.  This again was only temporary for the tests.

The second trailer being built is designed to hold 4X20 watt panels, 80 watts all up for a 48v system.  Most two amp 48v chargers are lucky to give up 90 watts anyway.

I am going to fasten the panels to the top frame and allow it to hinge to allow access to the storage box and to allow the user to adjust the panel during rests to get the most of them.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 04:53:02 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2010, 04:08:50 AM »
The panels in transit will and must remain flat, none of the tilting crap is going to be worth anything unless the trailer is still.  Any added wind resistance will render them useless or even impractical while the trailer is motion,  The trailer is needed for cargo food and stuff so the even with the added weight of the panels is still a win win situation.  They are very light for the power they actually produce so it is a viable pursuit.

Preliminary test have indicated on a sunny bright day with max exposure they can double your range of a 12ah 36v pack in a 4 to 5 hour charging period in winter Queensland Australia.  

Battery voltage did drop after a long run in my day but would soon enough bump back up to around 12.8v in 20 mins or so per 12v SLA.  The panels are always assiting when the bike is in use.

In series my panels provide 66v and at battery terminal voltage of 39v produce 1.4 amps of current up to 51v. A regulator is needed but I havent run into this situation where panels will over charge the pack yet.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 04:42:14 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2010, 05:02:26 AM »

See here, at any decent speed, the wind resistance from the speed, or any wind at all on the panel when throttle is engaged, IMO can take more from the pack than the panel provides. A CA is going to help here to discover the WR (wind resistance) VS power produced.

If I was to build a such a trike it would be recumbent and have the panels flat overhead.  I would make it so the panel tilts forward only to retain good aerodynamics.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 05:07:53 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline muzza.au

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2010, 11:11:30 PM »
If I was to build a such a trike it would be recumbent and have the panels flat overhead.  I would make it so the panel tilts forward only to retain good aerodynamics.
You mean something like this:

From: http://www.solartrike.com/ from a quick google search.

Or Leslie, you and your Mrs could both go shopping and bring a load of groceries back with you, and keep your head dry if it rains:

Muzza.au
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 11:13:01 PM by muzza.au »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2010, 02:49:26 AM »
You mean something like this:

From: http://www.solartrike.com/ from a quick google search.

Or Leslie, you and your Mrs could both go shopping and bring a load of groceries back with you, and keep your head dry if it rains:

Muzza.au

Yes yes yes.  He knows what he is doing, although the one on the bottom almost technically classes as a road train and scares me a little.

My welding skills are not that good,  People are telling me to go DC welding but I really want to master AC first.  I have my own idea how the AC should be and it inst anything like what I am using.  I was thinking of controlling the pulse width on both active and neutral of the AC so I can retain some of the surface draw off the arc and get plenty of stick throw..   Thats another life time I think.

I do need and metal inert gas welder or something like that.

Bring it on

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2010, 01:16:34 PM »
Here ya.

I just put the protype quickly "back" together for this picture, just resting the panels ontop. I used bungy cords to keep them down.  This again was only temporary for the tests.

The second trailer being built is designed to hold 4X20 watt panels, 80 watts all up for a 48v system.  Most two amp 48v chargers are lucky to give up 90 watts anyway.

I am going to fasten the panels to the top frame and allow it to hinge to allow access to the storage box and to allow the user to adjust the panel during rests to get the most of them.

I noticed one of your pictures is gone from photbucket. You know I really like this idea. My mind has been going all week thinking about this, I think I may try making a motorized push trailor with batteries and panels all in one. Only problem is when would I have the time. Maybe this winter.

Gary

Offline jusamaphonic

• Solar Recumbent Trike
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2010, 06:36:12 PM »
Sorry for the bump. Looking into a CA for my Pie, and the recent solar pics are forcing my ego to chime in on my own project:

More at http://solartrike.freehostingcloud.com/

Recent foible: SLA batteries going dead after ~2 months (Probably under 100 cycles). Perhaps it is related to different charging conditions (solar after the morning ride, wall charger overnight, add in regen braking and the poor electrons start getting vertigo). Looking into LiFePO4 batteries as a replacement for more long-term cost effectiveness, but I'm trying to work out how to kick up the voltage from the solar charge converter (no internal pots present for simple adjustment). Sorry, I'm drifting off topic now, I'll repost elsewhere if I get stumped.