Author Topic: Cycle analyst  (Read 24947 times)

Offline Gapy

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Cycle analyst
« on: January 27, 2010, 07:37:34 PM »
Hello everybody...

1.)
I have tried to set up my CA SA, to max speed 20 km/h and max Amp 10A in setup, but it does not work-it alway goes with a max throttle! Anybody tried those functions?

2.)
Does anybody knows what the second button does(if installed)

Thanx
Rear GoldenMotor Magic Pie
External Infineon 12fet Lyen edition
48V 20Ah LiFePo4
top speed: 48.6km/h
range: 55km at full speed

Offline Jazzjerry

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Carpe Noctum
    • Beeldhout
Re: Cycle analyst
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 08:48:06 PM »
Did you solder the throttle wire up to the cycle analyst?

The Th on the print?
. _   _   __  __  ___  ____  ____  _     _   ____  ____
 ( )_( ) (  ) (  )(  _ \ (  _ \ (  _  )(  \/\/ ) ( ___) (  _ \
  ) _ (   )(__)(  ) _<  )___/ )(_)(  )      (   )__)   )    /
 (_) (_)(_____)(__ / (__)  (____)(__/\__)(____)(_)\_)

Offline Sangesf

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 03:03:50 AM »
How about...

Does anyone know if you can use one Cycle Analyst for 2 motors, or do you have to buy 2 of them?

Currently I'm using 2 of the Turnigy Watt Meters, and would LIKE to use Cycle Analyst for the speed / amp limiting function, but 2 of them would be $300 as opposed to the $50 I spent on the two Tunigy's

Offline Gapy

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 11:33:04 AM »
stupid me...  :-X I thought that the throttle override and current/speed limiting is a diffrent function and you don't need to connect the throttle.... What about second button function-what is it?
48V 20Ah LiFePo4

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Using one Cycle Analyst for two motors
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 11:43:16 AM »
Does anyone know if you can use one Cycle Analyst for 2 motors, for the speed / amp limiting function?

Frank,

If you are using a single battery and single throttle device, it can simply be wired as per the instructions to control the speed/current limit of both motors.

If you have two batteries (independently wired to each motor) the wiring will need to be slightly different, and it will only be able to monitor the current drawn by one of the two motors.
If the motors are identical, I would suggest fitting the shunt on the Rear one.
If the motors are different types, I would suggest fitting the shunt on the most powerful one.

If you are using separate throttle devices, each will require its own diode and resistor to be wired in as per the standard instuctions, before they are joined together.
I would recommend they are joined externally to a single wire, which will then go to the "Th" connection inside the Cycle Analyst.

I can post a modified a wiring diagram if you need it.

Alan

Offline Jazzjerry

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Carpe Noctum
    • Beeldhout
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 03:12:52 PM »
I don't understand what you mean with second button..... Could you explain more?

Offline Gapy

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 03:22:14 PM »
Upper left corner on the attachment "B2" connection-manual says it is optional 2nd button input (not implented in V2.1 firmware)-any ideas?
B1 is primmary button input...
48V 20Ah LiFePo4

Offline Jazzjerry

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Carpe Noctum
    • Beeldhout
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 05:01:10 PM »
I think this means you can ad an extra button to be positioned somewhere else. I asume it has the same function as the button already on the cycle analyst.

Offline Gapy

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 05:23:24 PM »
Ok, you got a point, but why would someone plan a 2nd button "soldering place" if you could simply go paralell with the one wich is allready implanted!
Maybe it shifts down on the menu!?

Well I guess I will have to try it...
48V 20Ah LiFePo4

Offline Jazzjerry

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Carpe Noctum
    • Beeldhout
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 06:54:04 PM »
Dont realy know, I have the 2.1 version.

Did not read the other guide......

Offline Sangesf

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 08:10:28 PM »
Unfortunately Alan,

I have two motors, two controllers, both 36v, and both motors are capable of speeds above 20 even speed limiting one of them... Even if I were to limit the amperage on both, to lets say 15 amps, 15 amps would propel the small 20" motor to faster than 20 mph.

The whole reason for having two motors was to allow for my bicycle's amperage usage to be much lower for both batteries, than with a single large battery/motor, hence giving me more range.

While I'm doing 20mph, the current (pun intended) usages are...
The Front battery{15ah}/motor to use only 4.5 amps and the rear battery{30ah}/motor (at the same time) to use only 9 amps.

Hence giving me 3 hours (4.5 amps x 3 =13.5 ah on front batt) and (9 amps x 3 = 27 ahm on the back batt) for a total of 60 miles distance, with some room to spare...

If I cut it down to 3.5 amps on front battery and 7 amps on back battery, that will give me a speed of 18 mph and lets me go for 4 hours for a total of 80 mile range (plus giving me a reserve of 1ah for the front and 2ah for the back which translates into lower DOD and saving a little of recharge cycling.

Since I'm keeping the amps low (hence, using less 'c' rate {i.e. even if I used 5amps for front and 10amps for back, that would still be 1/3rd 'c' rate.)

I charge the front with 3amp Charger ('c'/5) and back with 5amp charger('c'/6)

I have used about 1000 recharges on 'em and they are still 100% soc..
They both read 43.2 when fully charged.

My best mileage has been 111 miles total round trip (while doing approx 17 mph) with wind behind me most of the way, to BMS cutoff to both batts at the EXACT same time. (first time i've even had them go even CLOSE to BMS cutoff - Most of the time, I do about 65% of DOD)

Thankfully, I was literally 200' away from my front door.

Offline MasterCATZ

• Confirmed
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 07:11:35 AM »

If you are using separate throttle devices, each will require its own diode and resistor to be wired in as per the standard instuctions, before they are joined together.
I would recommend they are joined externally to a single wire, which will then go to the "Th" connection inside the Cycle Analyst.

I can post a modified a wiring diagram if you need it.

Alan

I have not ordered mine yet but I will be using dual throttle

what would this re wireing consist off ?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 07:24:11 AM by MasterCATZ »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 12:55:31 AM »

I have not ordered mine yet but I will be using dual throttle, what would this re-wiring consist of?

This should be all that is required for the GM Cruise (and/or Magic Pie) Controllers:

After some experimentation, the recommended 3-5K resistor needed to be replaced by a 330 Ohm resistor for correct operation with the GM Cruise and Magic Pie controllers.

This also required the shorting of resistor R6 on the Cycle Analyst's circuit board, which can be done by putting a jumper on J6 soldering a small piece of wire across R6.

The switch is optional, but would provide a quick way to turn on a pre-set speed or current limiting function on the Cycle Analyst.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:10:54 PM by Bikemad »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 09:20:35 AM »
stupid me...  :-X I thought that the throttle override and current/speed limiting is a diffrent function and you don't need to connect the throttle.... What about second button function-what is it?

I have dealt directly with the people at CA. The second button implimented in version 2.2 does nothing other then allow you to control your settings easier. It functions mainly as a "go back" button. The other difference between version 2.1 and 2.2 is if you use the VI advanced hookup method for cruise on version 2.1 there was a bug that gives the wheel a sudden short lived quick burst of power when you turn on the key. This bug was corrected with a firmware update for version 2.2. Keep in mind though the GM cruise button does not work with the VI method, you must use the diode/resistor method for your cruise to still work. The other changes from v2.1 and 2.2 are buttons on front instead of side and wires come out back instead of side to give it a cleaner looking instalation. I have both manuals and there are no other changes, none that are documented at least.

Gary

Offline Dennyb123

• Confirmed
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 04:14:01 PM »
I think I may be starting to actually loose my mind. I took the casing off my CA. I can't find J6 on my 2.2 motherboard. R6 is clearly marked. Do I just solder a jumper on that? Can someone point it out to me? Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 04:16:50 PM by Dennyb123 »