Author Topic: Recumbent Bike E project  (Read 11801 times)

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Recumbent Bike E project
« on: August 31, 2007, 06:40:41 AM »
This is my second electric bike project, my first was with a GoldenMotor kit. http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=99.0

This second project which is on my Bike E that has a 16 inch front wheel and when I started I don't think there was a GoldenMotor kit for a 16 front wheel.

I used ebikes.ca , http://www.ebikes.ca/index.shtml , for all of my parts except for the charger and batteries. ebikes.ca has a very informative site and the best prices I could find for the parts I purchased.

On this project I used;

Crystalyte 16 inch 404 Front Wheel..~0.93 kph/V
Crystalyte 36V 35A Start Immediate Controller, can be used up to 48V with connector for Cycle Analyst
ebike.ca Direct Plug-in Cycle Analyst
Crystalyte Thumb Throttle
30A Anderson Powerpole W/pin connectors
Soneil 48V 3.5A Constant Current battery charger, http://www.batterystuff.com/
4 UB12220 SLA batteries (12 volt 22 Ah for a 48 volt system)

Cost for these items with shipping $969 plus about $30 for battery mounting parts, so about $1,000 total.

Bike in the rack before I started.

All of the aluminum brackets built, with all-thread and nylock nuts for holding things together.

Everything painted and ready for batteries.

Old 10 MM open end wrench for axle lock.

Controller mounting.

Cycle Analyst mounting.

Project ready to roll.

Broke kick stand while mounting axle wrench on front wheel.

The results;

I used a Garmin GPS to calibrate the Cycle Analyst speed. Using actual wheel circumference input into the Cycle Analyst resulted in higher speed readings.

Top Speed = 29.45 MPH (tested on flat road no wind, one mile in both directions and averaged speed from each direction 29.6~29.3)

The Cycle Analyst setup allowed me to set low voltage cut off at 42 volts and I can set the maximum speed, which I have set at 19 MPH. At this speed I can peddle assist, at a higher speed I have to rotate the pedals too fast. In my testing on the flat course, 1/2 mile out and back, the Cycle Analyst showed that at 19 MPH I used about .66 Ah per mile with no pedaling.

I spun the axle in the wheel drop out slots so I added the box-end wrench. The washer that came with the motor to lock the axle into the slots was very thin and wouldn't work on these forks so I didn't install it. Opps

The controller came with Anderson 30 A connectors for the battery connection. I replaced these with some 50 A connectors and used the 30 A connectors for the battery charger connection. I used 10 gauge wiring for connecting the batteries.

Other than spinning the axle everything has worked very well, the bike runs smooth and quiet. IMHO riding a recumbent is much more comfortable than an upright bike.

The Cycle Analyst is an outstanding product, it makes adjusting the system very easy. The Cycle Analyst back lit display shows three items constantly in the default setting, BATTERY VOLTAGE, SPEED (KPH, MPH user adjustable), WATTAGE, and in one spot it alternately shows DISTANCE TRAVELED/AMP HOUR USAGE. I am sure the display can be customized but I haven't tried yet.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 08:13:40 PM by Dalecv »

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: Recumbent Bike E project
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 02:00:13 PM »
Very impressive and well done project with a very clear and detailed account. Thanks.

I have 2 questions. ...back in a minute...

Did you use the open or closed end of the box wrench and if you used the closed end how many faces does it have, i.e., is it hexagonal or (12/2) star?

What are the weights of the bike, batteries and rider and is the bike fast or slow to turn, i.e., agile or not?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 05:12:35 PM by myelectricbike »

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 07:26:39 PM »
I described the wrench incorrectly in the original post and have edited the post.

This is the 10 MM wrench which had a socket on the opposite end that I cut off after I heated the wrench up and bent it so when the open end was on the axle the wrench shaft would parallel the fork arm.

I weighed the motor before installing it and it was 11 lb, the batteries according to spec, I didn't weigh them, are 56 lb. total, I didn't weigh the controller or Cycle Analyst.
Here are the weights as the bike is now.
Front wheel weight 60 lb, back wheel weight 60 lb, total bike weight 120 lb
Rider weight 265 lb
Total bike and this rider weight 385 lb.

I haven't noticed any change in the handling of the bike from what it was like before putting on the electric powered system. Bike E recumbents don't have the small turning radius of a standard bike, it took the width of a two lane road to do an 180 degree turn around before the project and it still does. Riding around town is easier with the electric motor because getting the bike going after stopping is easier with the motor than it was with pedaling. I now accelerate about the same as the cars I am next to.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 08:15:41 PM »
I was wondering that too.. how hard a 2 wheel recument would be to start, especially in a challenging situation like traffic. If motor power completely resolves that then I would be willing to do a dual instead of an etadpole. (Not really...  ;D)

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 08:30:16 PM »
Some years ago I tried out a friends custom made recumbent with the handle bars under the seat configuration. I think it was built at the CAT (Center for Alternate Transportation) place here in Eugene.

I found it very difficult to get rolling from a stop and I didn't feel confident of its handling once underway. I will stick with the Semi Recumbents.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 08:42:13 PM »
Such issues are why I am taking my time to make a commitment, plus the fact that in my head I think I am living on a remote island and can only use whatever I find that has washed up on the beach.

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 06:53:07 PM »
Some years ago I tried out a friends custom made recumbent with the handle bars under the seat configuration. I think it was built at the CAT (Center for Alternate Transportation) place here in Eugene.

I found it very difficult to get rolling from a stop and I didn't feel confident of its handling once underway. I will stick with the Semi Recumbents.

The under-seat steering can take some getting used to, especially at low speeds. The higher handlebars are a bit more challenging to engineer into a recumbent, but are a lot more user friendly for new riders.

Anybody ever ridden a rowbike, like the VogaBike (link)? Seems like they are pretty rare Stateside; more popular in Europe. I'm working up plans to build one this winter, leaning toward a tadpole wheel arrangement, but my sons are pushing the two-wheel style.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 08:28:13 PM »
Just saw the video of the tadpole but have not yet seen the dual. My idea is to build some sort of inflatable deal that I can carry with me to waters edge, inflate and put on my life jacket. ;D

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 10:12:39 PM »
I like that Vogabike. It is a different  type of bike with a heavy dose of cardio vascular exercise built in. It's not for me  but I can see where it might appeal to other people who feel cycling is not "real" exercise. ;D

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 12:11:49 AM »
I like that Vogabike. It is a different  type of bike with a heavy dose of cardio vascular exercise built in. It's not for me  but I can see where it might appeal to other people who feel cycling is not "real" exercise. ;D

What I like most about the rowbike idea is that the rowing motion gets the legs, back and arms into the act, and I'm thinking the result can be a lot more potential torque to the rear wheel than just pedaling. Of course you lose a fair bit with the return stroke, but done right such a machine could leave a standard bike in the dust. Add an electric motor with the proper gearing, and look out.