Author Topic: Bike Friday electric conversion  (Read 20493 times)

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Bike Friday electric conversion
« on: August 11, 2007, 10:18:41 AM »
Here is my Bike Friday with the Golden Motor kit and parts.

The first item I encountered was that the flat sides of the shafts were not parallel
for which I had to file the slots in the forks a little wider so the shafts would fit.

The width of the forks on the Bike Friday were too wide so I had to add washers.

To add washers I had to remove the connectors. One needs to be careful in doing this
because when putting the pins back in they don't necessarily flare back out and have a
tendency to slide back out when putting the connectors together.

The finished product

36 volts, 18 aH, 16 mph, about 20 miles without peddling with a 260 pound rider.

Soon there was a loud noise that sounded like two drum sticks beating together that would
intermittently appear and then became consistent. After taking the hub apart several times
and replacing the bearings I finally found that some sort of misalignment would occur when I
tightened the nuts on the forks. I managed to stop the noise by sanding out the bearing seats
in the outer casing and putting some oil between the bearings and the seats.

It maybe the luck of the draw but the quality control of the hub motor kit I received was not good and I had to
do several adjustments.

The price is quite good but be prepared to do extra work.

I didn't use the brake levers with the power cut off switch, or the idiot lights. I bought a cheap volt/ohm meter
to monitor the batteries.

I have more pictures if anyone is interested.

Dale

« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 01:31:07 AM by Dalecv »

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: Bike Friday electric conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 12:05:41 PM »
Looking at the ruler laid on the wheel the wheel size appears to be 18" instead of 20"  ??? Also did that tire come with the wheel? And why did you not go with a 26" wheel?

Offline emzed

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 12:38:02 PM »
Well it looks to fit  and that aint no 26" wheel in the first photo. Is that the only comment you have? How about a compliment?

Nice work Dale. btw, what capacity batteries are those? Is that the multimeter on top of the battery mount with the yellow ends?

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 12:51:06 PM »
Sorry, I only had one compliment left in me, and... oh yeah, I gave that one to you.

Actually I like the look of the finished product, especially the way the batteries are attached, but I'm just not sure  :-[ about the small tires and the tall seat.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 12:53:38 PM by myelectricbike »

Offline emzed

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 01:12:59 PM »
yeah, not my personal choice either, but thats the way they come http://www.bikefriday.com/

The small wheels would give better pull for a larger load. May sacrifice top speed, but hey if it gets you up the hills, gravity can get you down them.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 06:12:46 PM »
Oh a hill reason... perfect for the regen controller, if you don't mind a top speed of 12 instead of 16 MPH and 30+ versus 20 mile range.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 07:21:03 PM »
  Nice bike Dave, especially the batt. mounting. Can you sent more pics and description of how you made the mount?  :)

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 08:25:29 PM »
Humm... a folding bike you can put into a standard suitcase... and maybe at your destination turn the suitcase into a bicycle trailer... Perfect for that last train trip to Seattle where I had to roll a 40 lb suitcase 11 blocks to the hotel and was unable to take in all of the sites using only the city bus and avoiding that contraption wizzing overhead.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 11:53:28 PM by myelectricbike »

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 10:20:26 PM »
 This bike is sounding better all the time, especially for vacation usage!!  ;D :)

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 02:31:42 AM »
Bike Friday is a fold up bike that fits into a suit case and the suit case can
be used as a trailer. I bought the bike around 1996 but after one trip with it
I haven't used it much because it didn't fit me well and was uncomfortable
to ride, and expensive mistake. Those are 20 inch wheels.

I mounted a cheap volt/ohm meter on the controller. I tried the LED indicator
that came with the kit but I wanted better information and the voltage reading
gives me that. I only use the voltage reading of the meter.

The batteries are 18 aH and weigh about 42 pounds. I didn't want to add more
weight to the rear of the bike because of my fat butt and I would like to carry
other things in saddle bags. I think with the SLA batteries it might be a bit much to
transport in a suit case so the bikes flying days are over. I did take it with me on a
camping trip and it did just fine on gravel and dirt roads. I had the thermal protection
cut in after going up too many steep hills.

This picture is of the bike before mounting the batteries. I used the mounting
points of the water bottle holders to secure the battery holders. Since all of the
weight is on top of the main tube the screws only have to hold things in place.

Here are the aluminum battery holders that I made from flat aluminum I purchased
from a local metal scrap dealer, cost $14 US. I used a vise some angle iron and
hammers to bend the aluminum.

The battery holders mounted without the batteries

Wiring the batteries together. I used 10 guage wire with soldered connectors
that I covered with amalgamating tape. Amalgamating tape is great stuff, you
cut a piece off and remove the cover stretch it out and wrap it around the connection
after a few minutes it is like solid rubber that has to be cut off.

This picture shows my hammer marks on the aluminum and the connector I used to
connect the batteries to the controller. I used a 50 amp circuit breaker which can be
seen on the positive terminal of the lower battery.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 03:33:05 AM »
Wow!  :) That's really quite a job. Since I take my bike with me when I ride the City/County bus I had to mount my batteries in a toolbox and then mount the tool box behind the seat with various strapping systems like metal clasps and "D" ring straps and bungee cords so I could dismount the tool box and carry it with me on the bus. Also there is no way I can lift bike, motor and battery pack onto the bus bike rack. I tried mounting the batteries lower in saddle bags and in rear side baskets but to my great surprise the lower center of gravity actually makes the bike harder to control. I'm still looking for a better mounting system and was looking for a way to populate the center triangle and still be able to remove the batteries and take them with me on the bus. With a cover so the operator can not see the batteries (funky bureaucratic transit rule: so long as the operator can not see what's in the bag you can bring the bag on the bus.) Very good job. I have two 20 inch kits I was going to sell but now...

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 03:40:30 PM »
I take this bike with me on the bus and I know what you mean about getting it into the rack. Before putting on the kit it weighed around 26 pounds, now it is hard to lift the bike into the rack with batteries and all. No good hand holds at the correct balancing point.

I know it would be tough to explain to a bus driver but SLA or AGM lead acid batteries are the one kind of lead acid that it is okay to ship or carry around because they don't present a leakage problem.

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 04:29:27 PM »
How many miles do you put on your bike friday on each trip before and after the bus?  If it's short enough you could consider using a few DeWalt packs instead of the SLA's to lighten the load.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 05:38:10 PM »
  For the price of 3 DeWalts(3.2 Ah ea. x 3 (@$100+ea. plus shipping)=9.6Ah) plus a charger($20-30) you could have a Foxx 10 Ah Battery pack w/charger and it only weighs 7100g or 15.62 lbs(the performance is equal a 20Ah SLA) The other upside is you don't have to bother with Dewalts fussy BMS that known to go out if you accidentally cross wires and the Foxx pack is only one pack vs three or more Dewalts.  ;D

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 06:01:20 PM »
You're right.  Anyway, converting to an appropriately sized lithium battery (LiFePO4) can shave the weight quite nicely.