Author Topic: Battery charging  (Read 26337 times)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Battery charging
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 09:48:07 PM »
My main concern is that the voltage reading in the multimeter is rising quite rapidly, Now I have 2.61 volt and raising every minute and a half.
I will keep watching, I hope it wiil stabilized at a given voltage. 
Roberto,

The initial rapid rise is to be expected as it should follow this sort of curve:

I'm not sure whether your cells are 3.0V or 3.2V nominal, although it's labelled as a 36V pack (3.0V/cell), it could actually be a 38.4V pack.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 05:30:05 PM by Bikemad »

Offline robertozm

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2009, 12:57:27 PM »
My main concern is that the voltage reading in the multimeter is rising quite rapidly, Now I have 2.61 volt and raising every minute and a half.
I will keep watching, I hope it wiil stabilized at a given voltage.  
Roberto,
The initial rapid rise is to be expected as it should follow this sort of curve:
I'm not sure whether your cells are 3.0V or 3.2V nominal, although it's labelled as a 36V pack (3.0V/cell), it could actually be a 38.4V pack.
Alan
Hi Alan:
I thought it could be because of that, but when it went up to 3.0vlt it was rising as fast as at the begining, so I decided to conect a small lamp of a MagLite torch and I had to stop charging because I went to bed.  I read the multimeter and was 2.99 volt at 23:56h.  This mornig was 2.97volt at 07:30h, and now is 2.96volt at 14:53h.  Is this discharge without load normal? or it is just the voltage stabilitation of the cell? 

I will start again to recharge, and I will stop charging when 3.6volt is reach.  ¿is that correct?

Thanks for your advice, I will have to look for your help when I start to repair the hall sensor fairlure the controller has detected.

Roberto

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2009, 03:22:05 PM »
I read the multimeter and was 2.99 volt at 23:56h.  This mornig was 2.97volt at 07:30h, and now is 2.96volt at 14:53h.  Is this discharge without load normal? or it is just the voltage stabilitation of the cell?  

I will start again to recharge, and I will stop charging when 3.6volt is reach.  ¿is that correct?

Roberto,

The voltage will initially settle when taken off charge, so I wouldn't worry about the voltage drop you have noticed.

You are not fully charging these cells, you're just getting them up to approximately 3.25V (to match the rest of the cells in the pack).

This should be adequate to prevent any further damage to the cells while you wait for the new bms to arrive.

You must fully charge the complete battery when the new bms arrives and has been correctly fitted.

Alan

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 03:31:03 PM by Bikemad »