Author Topic: Led Lights 24v 36v 48v  (Read 38923 times)

Offline muzza.au

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Led Lights 24v 36v 48v
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 10:40:26 AM »
Actually I found a ready made dc-dc converter that is fairly cheep. Its input is 18-75v and has 2 output of -12v and +12v at 170mA. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DC-DC-power-converter-18-75V-in-12V-dual-out-6W_W0QQitemZ160361429369QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item2556493979

I'm also looking at http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Super-Bright-48-LED-Car-Interior-Dome-Door-Light-A201_W0QQitemZ380072299852QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item587e130d4c at 48 led interior car light to be made into the front light for the bike.

Muzza.au

Offline Jazzjerry

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Carpe Noctum
    • Beeldhout
. _   _   __  __  ___  ____  ____  _     _   ____  ____
 ( )_( ) (  ) (  )(  _ \ (  _ \ (  _  )(  \/\/ ) ( ___) (  _ \
  ) _ (   )(__)(  ) _<  )___/ )(_)(  )      (   )__)   )    /
 (_) (_)(_____)(__ / (__)  (____)(__/\__)(____)(_)\_)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Led Lights
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 04:42:55 PM »
I'm also looking at http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Super-Bright-48-LED-Car-Interior-Dome-Door-Light-A201_W0QQitemZ380072299852QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item587e130d4c at 48 led interior car light to be made into the front light for the bike.

Muzza,

I'd forget the car interior lamp idea, as they tend to use wide angle leds to displace the light over a wider area. On a bike you want a narrow, more directional beam which will project the light much further in order to light up the road ahead.

One of these would be much better (and a lot cheaper) than the interior lamp you were looking at:

You could simply use it as it is on your head/helmet or modify it to fit your bike

I have one very similar to this fitted to my bike at the moment and it works great.
In the dark you can easily see where you're going, or if it's not quite so dark, the oncoming traffic will definitely see you!
(Especially if you use the flashing mode)

Alan

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 05:16:53 PM »
G'day Leslie,

I would be interested in building this kit of yours for myself to be run off anywhere from 24v to 60v. I'm considering putting one of a pair of LED car driving lights onto my bike for its brightness and look. See attached picture. Could you give a list of components needed and how to build and tune it.

Muzza

Yeah sure.

LM2576HV 5 pin simple switcher IC. Data sheet<<<<

I got 10 of them here for about $16

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/10-pcs-Switching-Regulator-LM2576HVT-ADJ-LM2576-TO-220_W0QQitemZ160390583126QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2558061356

Make sure you gets the HV and they are good to up to a nice 3 amps.  You could run a set of 3v crees on one without going series..

Thats 60v to 3v with 75% efficiency.  9 watts.

At 12v you could pull 36 watts out of her.  :P

There are 5 pins to the switcher.

1: Input
2: output.
3: ground
4: feedback regulation
5: ground and or standby switch.

This diagram I altered should get you an adjustable DC to DC conveter from 11.5v to 16.5v.

Best at 12.6v 600ma for max efficiency.

If you want more current take the inductance down and use a beefier schotkky diode.

The feedback works on a voltage divider from R1 and the 10k base resistor and series trim fro adjustable voltages.  You could use a 50k variable resistor and make the output voltage swing all the way.

For around 12v use a 1.2k resistor for R1 it doesnt matter much about the output.

The  10k resistor is there so you don't blow that sh!t up and with the 10 turn 5k VR adjustable should be a smoother adjustment of the output.  

Stick to the above circuit and she should be dandy.

And the 5k Variable resistor is for adjustable voltage. 10 turn variable resistor pots are the way to go.

Feedback voltage = 1.23v

The equation is for 12.6v

R2=1.2k(12.6v/1.23) - 1.2k

R2 =11k

R2 = the 10k and variable resistor in my circuit above.

The input filter cap I used a 63v 100uh

The output filter cap I used a 25v 2000uh to save space, but when practising use a 63v cap so you don't have any accidents or of cause desire voltages higher than 25v.

The schottky diode I used is from Jaycar. IN5818 40v 1 amp.  Its good for up to 37v output @ 800ma.

The inductor by the data sheet has a chart.

Use the equation (Vin-vout)*vout/vin*1000/switch frequency 52khz

Say

52v input - 12.6v output =  39.4

39.4(12.6v/52v) = 9.54

9.54(1000/52khz) = 183.

The figure 183 is used on the vertical axis on the chart above and go along the bottom and choose desired amperage.

I came up with a H1500 for 600ma in between 700ma and 500ma output and improvised it to 1600uh by looking where my 183 figure ran up to.

For a 9 watt cree lamp like the one in you picture, use a 1000uh inductor rated at 1 amp. A 950uh if you want to do a rear light as well.

Choose an inductor suitable for 52khz switching. I bought a yellow one from Jaycar. Both L and H inductors are uh however they size differs.

http://www.thierry-lequeu.fr/data/PC500_51.pdf

I used the above site to gather the dimensions.

My inductor is

27mm outside diameter
15mm inside diameter
11mm high

You want the same size.  I bought mine from jay car and rewound it to suit. You should be able to wind your toroid with .5mm enamel wire and just squeeze it in a single layer for best results.  ermm maybe a quick 2nd layer around the toroid..

God knows how many turns I put on it but if you get this far I can work it out for you.  I just used an inductance meter and kept winding intil I got over 1500uh.

I used 3 layers.

Its still going very well and Ive used 3 auto leds on the front now and one on the rear.

Honestly it took me some time to be able to build these DC to DC converters in an afternoon.  Sourcing parts and stuff. I do have spare toroids and ICS to boot.  And the multimeter that measures inductance I bought from Jcar takes all the guess work out of the winding of the toroids.

I love learning and doing this stuff but it would be easier to buy one.  But heck I would learn jack doing that.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 07:03:31 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Jazzjerry

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Carpe Noctum
    • Beeldhout
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 06:51:09 PM »
Wow, This looks like you can shine back at cars that blind you with their main light, and blind them even more... LOL  ;D

If you go to the beach and light that thing up people will start sunbathing...  :D

Nice

Offline muzza.au

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 09:49:05 PM »
This looks like a nice one ....

:D

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-91-LED-MARINE-FLOOD-LIGHT_W0QQitemZ270509376065QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Boat_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3efb9d8241
Thanks Jazzjerry,

Its funny the seller said:
THESE WERE GOING SO FAST WHEN I BID FOR THEM A YEAR AGO IT WAS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GET THEM FOR UNDER $75 EACH, I COULD BE WRONG BUT I CANT FIND THEM ON EBAY ANYMORE
but I did a quick search and found almost 50 of them on auction with some starting at 99 cents. I am concerned that these might be too bright. I don't wont to blind the car drivers so that they end up losing control and crashing into me. The aim is to be visible and to see whats up ahead also without going overboard.

I'm also considering going with some ready made ones from: http://www.ebikes.ca/lights/, but if I can do it myself for cheaper, then thats what I'll do.

Thanks all for your suggestions, I will consider my options. I am an electronics tech so building my own might be more fun.

Muzza.au

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Bright DIY 24Watt LED Headlight
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2010, 12:09:01 AM »
I am concerned that these might be too bright. I don't wont to blind the car drivers so that they end up losing control and crashing into me. The aim is to be visible and to see whats up ahead also without going overboard.

Is this what you meant by "too bright"? Not bad for 24Watts! (8 x 3Watt LEDs)

It would certainly make a fantastic high beam, but you would need to have a toggle switch and a low beam light to go with it.

The construction details can be found on this webpage but unfortunately it's all in Finnish. I didn't have a problem interpreting the pictures, but I found the text to be slightly more complicated as I don't understand Finnish. ::)
I couldn't find a Finnish online translater that would accept the webpage URL, so I had to copy and past it into this link a bit at a time to translate it.

It's a very interesting article though.

Alan

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2010, 02:47:38 AM »
Awesome bike light.  :o 

Maybe a little too awesome. But hell yeah, Id love to burn the eyes out of some cars that refuse to dip their high beams.  :P

My dc converter could run 4 of those 3 watt cree at 4v .  Thats at least 12watt and over 1000 lumens, not quite as bright as the Bikemad light.

If you were to put 4p2s 3 watt crees you would yield the same lumen as that Bikemad picture.  I don't like to run too many series leds with out balancing and that can take away efficiency.

The LM2576 is internally limited to 3 amps so its safe to run them at max.

My humbled bike light runs at around 3.6 watts.  Its plenty bright for a bike that travels under 40kph.

The faster the bike I guess the more lumen you need.

I tried messing with the 3 watt crees but had trouble heat sinking them.  I almost got them going but I used a plastic reflector to hold them onto my sink and it melted both the reflectors and leds.  :(

The 3 watt crees get so hot if you cant get the heat off of them they even melt the solder.

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Led Lights
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2010, 11:02:10 AM »

You could simply use it as it is on your head/helmet or modify it to fit your bike

I have one very similar to this fitted to my bike at the moment and it works great.
In the dark you can easily see where you're going, or if it's not quite so dark, the oncoming traffic will definitely see you!
(Especially if you use the flashing mode)

Alan

Even on your head those are handy.  I have one but not so many leds, I like where you turn your head it lights the area your looking at.

Bring it on

Offline Electrobent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2010, 11:47:40 PM »
I built a bike light out of headlamp I got at Target for $10.  It was originally powered by two 2 lithium 123 cells.  I went to Radio Shack and got a 4 AA holder for $1.98 and soldered a length of wire (Scrounged) between it and the battery terminals inside the head(band) lamp.  I went to 99 cent store and got 4 AA alkalines for $1.08 after tax.  So now I have a 5W LED Bike Light for under $15 with 2 123 lithium cells thrown in and they usually cost about $4 each. 

I have triple redundancy on my headlights and double on my tail lights.  My worst headlight is the only one that was actually sold for bicycles:  it is probably 2W.  The middle one is the post Rodney King LAPD flashlight that replaced the 5D MagLights the cops beat him with.  The new one is covered in rubber and takes two of the lithium 123s. It was designed to be light so that they could not do any damage with it.  I got it at Sears on sale for $30-$40.  A couple of O rings allow me to redundantly attach it to my bike.

Offline Jazzjerry

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Carpe Noctum
    • Beeldhout
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2010, 04:14:55 PM »
Could you show us some photo's?

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2010, 04:51:29 PM »
i've got this light, the beam makes the road, 100m long and 15 meters wide, shine like no other light i've ever seen.
not even car lights get close to this

http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30864

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 04:13:32 AM »
Just one of those would be great.  $82 for a one time out lay is acceptable.

Bring it on

Offline muzza.au

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 10:07:37 AM »
How's this one:
Ultra bright 3-LED waterproof spotlight
3W each LED of total 9W output
55mm (2.15") diameter x 66mm (2.6") in length
Working voltage from 12VDC to 30VDC
Aluminum light housing and mounting clamp
Comes with male and female waterproof connectors
Easily clamp to any 22~26mm tube or handlebar
Without using bottom clamp, can bolt on a flat surface

from: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/12V-24V-Waterproof-9W-LED-Spotlight-Bike-Car-Truck-ATV_W0QQitemZ180459359035QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2a04374b3b

muzza.au
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 10:10:38 AM by muzza.au »

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 08:14:22 PM »
my magicshine is brighter :P