Author Topic: Video!  (Read 11359 times)

Offline PaintingLoft.com

• Confirmed
    • my flickr page
Re: Video!
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 11:01:10 PM »
so now I'm trying to contact GM and getting no response.  I have written twice now thinking that maybe he has so many emails that maybe he over looked mine.  It's day three and I'm starting to wonder if I will hear from them at all.  After all,  why would they want to let me return a controller for a cheaper one?  they would have to give me back some money. 

Offline Lanchon

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 06:31:49 AM »
hey I think you're confused, this is not Amazon, you can't be changing your mind! well of course you can, but all you're gonna do is piss phil into not talking to you ever again, IMHO.

> why would they want to let me return a controller for a cheaper one?  they would have to give me back some money.

ha, that was funny! you really expect them to pay for shipping too? :) look, I think these are your options in the place called Real World: a) exchange item for item the controller in this forum, maybe somebody wants to go from 36V to 48V. b) order a 36V from phil, if he still talks to you. c) hack your 48V to accept 36V.

the instructions for c) are probably somewhere around this forum, or maybe in the endless sphere forums (or they might be nowhere, I don't know). the actual modification probably involves replacing (or adding) a single resistor.

you probably have a 48V charger too, how are you charging your 36V batt? besides, if you're careful, you can test the controller and motor using the charger as a power source (taking the place of the battery). the charger and controller should be connected to each other before plugging the charger to the mains. also, keep the powered time to a minimum: the voltage will be unusually high and might overheat the digital power supply in the controller.

Offline Lanchon

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 06:38:57 AM »
let me add that, if you tinker with the charger, whatever happens -including frying everything- is going to be your responsibility, not mine.

Offline Lanchon

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 07:52:58 AM »
hey pLoft,

do you have the 48V non regen or 48V regen controller? what are you gonna do? do you think you got the nerve to mod it? it probably only involves soldering a resistor.

if you want to, open it up and check if it looks the same as this:
http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=341.0

if it does, see if you snap some pics of the board (high-res please! see that in mi pics you can clearly read the component codes and markings) and post.

Offline PaintingLoft.com

• Confirmed
    • my flickr page
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2008, 04:51:20 PM »
I have no knowledge of electronics and have no interest in tinkering with it after I have spent more than $800 so far.  I bought the 36v battery from Foxx Power.  I talked to them and I have decided to upgrade my battery.  They were VERY responsive and helpful!!  I would highly recommend them.  I did not opt for the Regen when I bought the kit.  does that mean the controller is different?  I thought I might add it on at a latter date but now you got me thinking that I won't be able to do that.

Yes.  I do have the 48v charger that came with the kit.  It is useless to me because the battery from foxx comes with its own which was of much higher quality.  If anyone is interested in a 48v charger make me an offer!

so now I am just sitting here waiting for my bigger battery to arrive. 

Offline Lanchon

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2008, 09:50:13 PM »
> does that mean the controller is different?

yes, there are regen and non-regen controllers. see them at GM's web in the hub motors tab.

well you're going to spend a lot on the batt. I hope you really need the big batt, cause if not for $38 (for the whole kit) you could get a 36V controller from GM.

also I'll say again that it should be very easy to mod, all you need is a pen style soldering gun (I guess you could get it for less than $5 if noone can lend you one). if you mess up, you can always get a new controller.