Author Topic: More power Scotty  (Read 14697 times)

Offline scott

• Confirmed
More power Scotty
« on: January 16, 2010, 12:26:50 AM »
Can I mount a GM 48V12AH, “sideways” key pointing down? Will it take the stress?

Currently I am running with ,qty1, 48V12AH.I would like to set up with 3 of these. Two on the cross bar ,one  the rack(unless someone can suggest a different configuration).

Setting up batteries on the cross bar has some obvious problem (are my knees going to hit the batteries when I pedal?).
.Eye balling before modification ,I think the keys will be the only problem.?

P.S. I have one  battery now, I’m picking up one more on Sunday (from Gary Salo ``GM Canada ``the best company rep on the plant earth).It will happen, I am resolved.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: More power Scotty
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 01:06:19 AM »

P.S. I have one  battery now, I’m picking up one more on Sunday (from Gary Salo ``GM Canada ``the best company rep on the plant earth).It will happen, I am resolved.

Thanks for that Scott,

I was thinking you should try wrapping them in cloth and duct taping them in various orientations and going for brief rides to see what the best fit could be for you before doing a more permanent mount.

Looks like one on top and one under the bar on their sides would be the best fit. Theres also front racks and baskets to consider. I usually put my second battery in a backpack. I find the rack is solid with one battery but wobbly with two.

Gary

PS Looks like above zero on sunday, 4 degrees in Mississauga. Bring your bike lets go for a ride! I think I can put together a 4 bike ride. We could shoot a video, You could become famous  ;D

Offline scott

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 03:07:52 AM »
I hate the idea of the front  carrier . Duct tap ,,,hate it .But if that what needs to be done .

P.S. I have told my girl friend that all the money has gone to "strip joint girls and beer". If she finds out the truth ,It will be a week of grief!
Scott

Offline muzza.au

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 07:45:26 AM »
G'day Scotty,

I think you might be able to fit them into the frame triangle. The GM website says the batteries are 149mm wide which I think is just norrow enough to avoid the pedals. I have a converted toolbox with my 2nd battery in that area and my peddles just miss hitting it. See below for a concept picture of how you might mount the batteries. I hope they fit like that as I just did a copy and paste of the battery on your rack.

Muzza.au

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 01:20:29 PM »
I hate the idea of the front  carrier . Duct tap ,,,hate it .But if that what needs to be done .

The duct tape suggestion is just to find a position that works for you before you attempt a more permanent solution.

P.S. I have told my girl friend that all the money has gone to "strip joint girls and beer". If she finds out the truth ,It will be a week of grief!
Scott

Quick thinking on your part there!  :D

Gary

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 02:35:17 PM »
if I may ask, why do you want 3 batteries? range, or something else?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 03:33:12 PM »

I’m currently running GM 48v 12 AH Lithium Iron Battery Pack .I’m looking to increase my range .
Any suggestions?
I live in Canada.It would be nice not to have to order from China.

Thanks Scott

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 04:32:15 PM »
tnx for the reply, but at 48v I can get 40km/h average, on full throttle and I can get about 30km on full throttle so it would be 90km range, this means you gotta ride more than 2 hours, my next question is,

What trip do you make, Km?

Offline scott

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 08:10:32 AM »
I live near the Grand River in Brantford Ontario. The biking trail system is extensive and travels threw multiple small towns. On the weekends I take off in the mornings and travel either north or south .Unfortunately because the system run north and south only, to add new destinations I have to add rang .Currently at 30 KMH with pedaling I get about 55KM. I’d like to have a rang of closer 150KM.This would allow an all day adventure.

Thanks Scott
P.S. I like to stop in at each town for a beer and my capacity for beer has out stripped my 55 KM rang.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 08:39:48 AM »

I had to look closer at the picture.  He means concept.  He doctored the picture to look like he has three batteries there.

Yeah more range and longer life span of batteries would be awesome.

If they were connected in parallel they would push a mighty powerful motor too.

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 08:50:37 AM »
Like Muzza has suggested I would definitely put any extra packs into the triangle.  Too much weight in the back including motor makes for bad balance.

To add I would put one on the top cross bar on the triangle and one on the bottom in order to distribut the weight evenly across the turn sway pivot cenre of gravity.  Too much weight too low behaves like an anchor and makes for sluggish leaning into turns. And too much too high make the bike top heavy and puts too much weight via leverage onto the typical bike stand.

I estimate one pack on each triangle bar would help to at least make the bike feel very similar to a normal bike. 

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 09:07:45 AM »
different configuration).

(are my knees going to hit the batteries when I pedal?).

When I was using 36v. No knees ever hit with this setup.

For one extra pack I would put them on the top bar near the seat post tube between my legs.

Something to consider anyway.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 09:10:27 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 09:15:14 AM »
Ohhh!

Edit.

Another way

Position the battery so the key faces down or up not out to the side.

For two batteries. you could have them face down side by side along the top bar.  This is only going to be less than 10mm wider than my SLA's.

My current bike has a lower cross bar than yours, almost like a girls bike. My SLA's have to fit just in between the pedals.  They hang down over 170mm from the top bar.  

The bike in the above pic had the batteries clear the pedals acceptably.

You may be able to fit them in side by side between your legs..  It depends on how long your frame is and the aspect of the triangle.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 09:36:56 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline scott

• Confirmed
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 07:50:08 PM »
Second battery .
[Bolted ¼ inch hard board to the cross bar and used bungee cords to secure it. A little leg rub when peddling. I need to cut down the width of the hard board.

Balance is fantastic! I am surprised at the handling. The bike feels more secure and seems to handle a lot like a normal bike.

Three is going to be tough.

Good Day

Scott

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
RAK-001 Times 2
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 06:02:20 AM »
Hey Scott

I know you always said you hate the front rack idea. But I was looking at my bike and the rak-001 and thought "hey that would fit on my bike pretty good". Here is the result, I have to clean up the wire and wash the bike. But you get the Idea...

Gary

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 06:05:46 AM by GM Canada »