Author Topic: Braking of HBS-48V1000W Solid 16" wheel  (Read 42522 times)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Braking of HBS-48V1000W Solid 16" wheel
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2010, 09:34:41 AM »

I appreciate the reply Gary, but it really doesn't answer my question. I guess one of the things I am disappointed about the GM web sites is the lack of information. On this matter a simple chart showing what tires fit what GM supplied rims would provide the information I am looking for.

The link you gave does not cover what tire I need. Sorry to be so dumb, but I am not a tire expert, nor a dealer. I really would hope that dealers of GM products would have the answers to such questions.

I know what you are saying. I fight that battle everyday. That is why I come to the forum where the real experts are. I forward alot of people here and some think I am trying to brush them off. The reality is I am just trying to help them get the correct answers.

Any information I have on my site was either sourced at the Main GM site or here in the forums. There is little information I can get from GM directly other then price and availability and even that is a challenge at times.

Gary

Offline kent1956

« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2010, 10:40:47 AM »
Gary,

Thanks mate, and I do like your web site. So far it is the better GM site I have looked at. Keep up the good work.

Offline kent1956

« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2010, 10:36:53 PM »
Just a note to share my tire education. I have found out that 16 x 2.5 tire means three different things.

I did a google search and then making a purchase of tires and tubes listed as 16 x 2.5. When I received them I found them to have a 16" ID rather than a 16" OD.

In looking at tire sizing I found three different ways of sizing.

Tires are measured by:

A. Overall diameter, normally given in inches, but can be in mm. approximate diameters, so 16" could be 15 7/8" actual dimension.

B. Section width in inches or mm. Width of the widest part of the tire.

C. Normal rim diameter, normally given in inches but can be given in mm. Measure of the diameter of the bead width, or overall rim width. Different manufacturers reference differently.

D. Section height. Often given as a percentage of the section width.

So we have the sizing we see on automotive tires such as,

250/70-16

Which is (B)250/(D)70-(C)16 or the section width is 250mm, the section height is 70% of the width or 175mm and the rim diameter is 16".

Most motorcycle tires are listed in the same way as automotive tires. Example: 130/70x12 which is 130mm wide by 91mm high for a 12" rim.

Now bicycle tires are different. They most often are just measured by overall diameter and width. Example: 26x1 1/2, which is overall diameter 26" with overall width 1 1/2".

A x B x C    16 x 6.5 x 8

B/D-C     410/3.50-10

A x B      20 x 2.125

Now isn't that all so very clear? Yea, right!   

And to make it even simpler, every manufacturer can have their own specific sizing. They can be a few mm difference and a tire with the same size markings can be too loose or too tight for the rim you are trying to fit.

I see three real options here to properly fit your tire. One buy the exact same tire your bike came with. Accept no substitutes. Which may mean you end up buying low quality fast wearing tires all the time. On my bicycles I like using high quality, high pressure tires, so fitting can be an issue.

2. Always take in your old tire or rim into the store for proper sizing. Once you find a store that carries your size stick with them.

3. Get on the phone and talk to the people who sell the tires and know their brands. Have the actual dimensions of your rim and tire (if you have one). They should know their stock, if they don't go to some one else.

What I have found for the GM HBS 16 x 2.5 is that this is a common size for mobility scooters. And there seems to be a limited supply of them. In fact I am having to go to Canadian stores to buy them.

I would think that some stores that sell GM equipment would have at least a supply for these....just a hint  you GM dealers....People buying GM equipment want and need a store that can be our go to store for all things GM. Even if you just advertise the parts needed and set up a drop ship relationship with a supplier (a nice arrangement as you don't have to purchase inventory and make a sellers commission on each part sold through you...)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2010, 01:04:21 AM »
Stocking tires would be another large investment with little or no profit. I buy my tires at Canadian Tire, its simple and cheap. I appreciate your input but it would just be another avenue for complainers. How could it ever compete with Canadian Tire or Walmart on price or selection. Granted some of the odd tires are hard to find. But I have yet to have someone ask me for one.

Gary

Offline kent1956

« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2010, 02:46:48 AM »
Gary,

I understand about stocking items. Have you considered being a selling agent? I know of a tire seller that does that. They offer hundreds of tires for sale, act as an agent, place the orders for the customer and the supplier drop ships them. Here is one such seller I bought from before, http://www.everybicycletire.com they advertise that they can sell about 800 tires.

And yes, I looked there for the tire for the GM HBS cast 16" wheel. They don't have it. I ordered a Schwalbe 16 x 1.75 tire from them for my recumbent. I found out it was a drop ship direct from Schwalbe USA when I requested info regarding shipping.

All I'm suggesting here is that you as a GM dealer and other dealers could serve their GM customers by doing some of the leg work, or post what other customers find, such as myself, on your web site so other customers looking for the same product (16 x 2.5 tires) come to you first.

I worked at Home Depot for eight years in the electrical and fan/lighting departments. I am an electrician by trade. I had customers tell me that they always came to my store and to me when shopping for electrical items, because I always sold them the right product for their needs or if we didn't stock it, sent them to the correct supply house to get it. I think there is a grain of wisdom there for the GM dealers.

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
Hmm I would have to agree highly with Gary here...

Stocking tires would be pretty big problem considering GM do not actually stock tires for all of their models, and do not sell them.

All I'm suggesting here is that you as a GM dealer and other dealers could serve their GM customers by doing some of the leg work, or post what other customers find, such as myself, on your web site so other customers looking for the same product (16 x 2.5 tires) come to you first.

As for the 3rd part agent. Imagine if you had problems with your shipping of your tire. I'm pretty sure the first call would be straight to the dealer. Tire ranges and user preferences also vary so greatly that the extra 'leg' work going on. I think legs might end up broken lol

Anyways that's my thought. I can perfectly see where you are coming from Kent; however, I myself am in a similar situation trying to source a tire I prefer for my cast 20" wheels! So no offense mate :)

I want a slick 3" wide tire for these rims but will have to take the wheel to the shop as standard 20" wheels are too big for them. Also my front rim is slightly bigger than the rear so that throws in another variable haha I'm leaving the tire problems to the tire dealer the poor bloke

:D

Offline kent1956

Re: Tire suitable for HBS-48V1000W Solid 16" wheel
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2010, 03:38:36 AM »
I found a tire that will fit the GM HBS 16" cast wheel from a seller in California. No one at home has them, interesting, considering all the mobility scooters sold in Florida.

16" x 2.5" Tire and Tube Set

The seller is www.ehandygadgets.com Scott there was very quick to respond to my inquiry regarding inner diameter of the tire they have and they have a tire and tube set for only $21. Not the highest quality tire I am sure at that price, but a tire that will fit the rim properly.

It still would be great if GM listed all associated parts on their web site for each kit they sell.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 10:39:13 AM by Bikemad »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Tire suitable for HBS-48V1000W Solid 16" wheel
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2010, 02:15:38 AM »

It still would be great if GM listed all associated parts on their web site for each kit they sell.

I think another thing you maybe overlooking is there are no associated parts that go with our kits. Normally when someone buys a kit it is to go on an existing bike. So the conversion involves removing a wheel from the existing bike, taking the tire off and installing it on the new motorized wheel. Then installing the new motorized wheel and controls on the bike. There are no additional parts required.

Anyway Im glad you found a tire. Something else to think about is that if its this difficult to find a tire, then that shows how little demand there is.

Take Care
Gary

Offline kent1956

« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2010, 08:45:19 PM »
Gary,

thanks again for the reply. I think the matter of finding this tire is that it is a rarely used size. Most bikes today use the 26" tire, I think the next most used size would be 20". So I would also think that ebike wheels would be most common in those two sizes as well.

I have one of the least common bikes on the market, a lwb recumbent with a 16" front wheel and 20" rear wheel. I have found the only vehicle using the 16 x 2.5 tire/wheel to be mobility scooters an even smaller market.

Recumbents are a growing market, but still way smaller than other bikes. So I am used to having a hard time finding parts.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2010, 09:10:09 PM »
Hey Kent

Is there a picture in the forum of your bike? I would centainly like to see it.

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2010, 07:15:15 PM »
Hey Leslie, was that ride with those numbers on your 20" beast?

If not, the wheel size makes a massive difference don't you agree?

Offline alsoforum

« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2010, 05:04:13 AM »
I think they are still based on a bicycle-ish type frame, this is the model I am currently testing they are the same thing because those hub motors & controllers are part of a pretty standard line