Author Topic: Need settings and software for Magic Pie4, please  (Read 17649 times)

Offline Maya

• Confirmed
Need settings and software for Magic Pie4, please
« on: September 13, 2018, 04:35:51 AM »
Hi there:

Someone have the settings for a battery 24V 20AH and the software to set it, is for Magic Pie 4 ( I'm trying many things to recover my bike) .

thanks a lot.

Maya

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Need settings and software for Magic Pie 4, please
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 11:14:11 AM »
Hi Maya,

If you are using the 5 pin USB programming cable, you will need to download the PI800 software for use with a Windows PC.
You may also need to install the USB Driver if your version of Windows does not recognise the controller.

Follow the connection technique described in this post and set your parameters as shown below:

Set the battery voltage first and then adjust the other parameters as required before saving them to the controller by clicking on the icon highlighted in the above screenshot.

The EBS Peak Phase Current (A) affects the amount of regenerative braking and has four options; 20A, 40A, 60A or 80A (80A setting produces maximum braking force).

Setting the Maximum Forward Speed (rpm) to 190 rpm should produce a smoother throttle action as this is the maximum motor speed that a 24V battery is likely to produce.

I have shown the Main Battery Current (A) set to 25 Amps, but you may need to reduce this if your bike has to comply with maximum power legislations.
25A @ 24V will draw 600 Watts from the battery, but his will only produce a actual power output of 480 Watts @ 80% efficiency.  ;)

Adjusting the PAS Ratio (0.1 Times) setting should affect the amount of pedelec assistance, but it is unlikely to make any difference to your trike as your pedelec is not currently working. :-\

Alan

Offline Maya

• Confirmed
Re: Need settings and software for Magic Pie4, please
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 05:09:42 PM »
Hi Bikemad:

Sorry but your software is not the same I have, I downloaded PI-800 but the menus are not the same. Look at very well your version is V-3.1.3 and mine is V-3.3.0 why if it is PI-800, I don't understand?
Please when you explain me something , don't forget that I'm newbie in this subject...sorry  :-[

thanks a lot.

Maya

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 12:26:55 AM »
There are many different versions of the PI-800 software (I have shown 5 versions in the screenshot below) but they are all very similar in operation.
As this is used for programming different controllers, it caters for many different parameters, but only displays the parameters applicable to a particular controller once it has connected to it.

Here's what version 3.3.0 looks like before it connects to my Magic Pie controller:

And here's what it looks like after the correct COM port has been selected and it has connected and uploaded the available parameters:

I suggest that you take a look at Gary's video on programming the controller for more information.

Alan

Offline Maya

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 01:09:54 PM »
Hello again:

Thank you very much Alan.

Maya

Offline Maya

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 05:25:48 PM »
Hi Again:

well, I installed the controller wire I get all well until " error because of time out" then I put the battery on but the message "...because of time out " doesn't disappear and I can't get the settings  :'(
driver and port are well installed
What could be wrong....?
it is possible the controller is out of order? anything else? please help me! :'(

thanks

Maya

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 07:03:20 PM »

If you would like to look over post # 37 of my build log. You can see what worked for me.  ;)

Direct link to post...

Regards,
T.C.
See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub E-Bike build  HERE.

Offline Maya

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 07:15:52 PM »
Hi Tommycat:

Thanks , but I can install the USB driver, the wire ,etc all ok till " ...because out of time" when I put the battery on nothing happens.... :'(
it's always ....because out of time...maybe I can't explain very well

any idea else?

Maya

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 11:17:46 PM »
For me the controller is powered up and ready a minute before pressing the connect button in the software.
Did you set to the correct com port in the software as indicated in device manager for the communication cable before trying to connect?

Offline Maya

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 09:19:33 AM »
Hi Tommycat:

Yes, the com port is ok, all is ok until "....because of time out" and I put the battery on and nothing happens. ( of course I tested the battery with the screen led and all is ok)
By the way the wire that I connect is the one connected to the screen led? ( there isn't another with the 5 pin anyway)

Thanks a lot.

Maya

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 02:13:05 PM »
From your description and to clarify, you need to have the battery turned on before you try connecting. If the battery is off you will get...

I think that is the problem, but just to make sure where I'm not missing something...
Your on the right cable (display disconnected) that I know...  And your cable connector is being recognized by device manager? And your connection software is set to the com port that you saw in device manager? Then with your battery plugged in an 'on'... you hit the connect button which is just to the left of the com port selection box.

Offline Maya

• Confirmed
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 03:27:43 PM »
Hi Tommycat:

I will do it and I'll tell you....

thanks

Maya

Offline Maya

• Confirmed
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 04:42:36 PM »
Hi There:

Unhappily it doesn't work, always " no reponse because time out" I did all that you indicate ( tommycat) but nothing change.
strangely it's all ok but I only have power with hand throttle and  pedaling back not forward.  :'( :'(

another idea or maybe the controller is out of order?

thanks.

Maya

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 08:59:17 PM »
Try this first...
For communication testing I would remove all wiring to the pedelec sensor and make sure they are kept separated and insulated as that is not the correct operation. Will get back to that problem. So just eliminate for now.

I know that 3 wires of the 5 coming from the controller are need for communication. TX,RX, and battery ground. Using the pin-out diagram below, check the connector pins for damage, and continuity to the controller if possible. (easy for the battery ground, check at battery connection. Not so much for the other 2...)

You are using the correct communication cable? Specifically for Magic Pies? Sorry had to ask as our options are dwindling.  :-\

UPDATE: 9-30-2018  I verified that the only two things that will cause that error box is...
1) No power to controller
2) Communication cable not properly connected to controller.

And that it communicates even if you unplug the upper harness to eliminate any possible issues in it.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 01:29:34 PM by Tommycat »

Offline Maya

• Confirmed
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 05:48:58 PM »
Hi Tommycat:

Thank you very much for all, If I don't bother you...could you show me the diagram in the wires' photos in the wheel .

I can't understand which wire is every single wire in reality, sorry for that  :-[.

Maybe you can show me the diagram with the photos of the wires, I wish I can explain well my idea.

Thanks a lot.

Maya