Author Topic: battery question  (Read 5988 times)

Offline flyguy_helo

battery question
« on: February 09, 2010, 07:55:16 PM »
Hi all,
a quick question concerning the golden motor battery. I have a 36 volts 16 amp battery. I checked the voltage at the plug in and get 41volts when the key is turned on. when I plug it into the charger I still get 41 volts. Could it be already fully charged. When I plug it into the bike the control near the throttle gives me a red light. I left it charging for 4 to 5 hours and still only get a red light at the throttle telling me it empty (or just about). the wheel does spin when I increase the throttle. I did not ride it yet, to much snow where I am.
thanks,
Larry

Offline muzza.au

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: battery question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 08:48:51 PM »
Maybe you were given a 48v throttle?

Offline flyguy_helo

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 10:22:04 PM »
Arent those throttles standard and can receive 24,36 or 48 volts that change the speed. from the write up's I see no mention of changing anything but the battery. I am getting 41volts no matter what is happening, at rest, while charging, before the charge, after the charge it always show 41 volts. Hummm. the throttle light is red showing a discharged condition. Since I did not ride the bike yet its difficult to estimate if its fully charged or not.
larry

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 11:02:50 PM »
Your battery looks ok to me, and the throttle really could be a 48v one...

Mine is for 48v and when the battery BMS cuts the energy it still showing that the battery is half :D

It only really shows the red one when I speed up

Offline muzza.au

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 07:58:11 AM »
Arent those throttles standard and can receive 24,36 or 48 volts that change the speed.

Yes functionally they are the same, but the battery level led indicaters will be callibrated for a set voltage.

Muzza

Offline ccbreder

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 10:51:01 PM »
Muzza is right. I would not trust the idiot lights to be accurate.

Offline flyguy_helo

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 12:45:28 AM »
If the bike runs ok I guess I don't mind the light been wrong but it is nice to know when to start worying about turning back. LOL

On thing I will try this weekend is plug in the second throttle that came with it (the thumb throttle) and see if I get the same red light or if it corrects the problem.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
Larry

Online Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Battery status indicator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 01:06:55 AM »
Both the throttles supplied with my Magic Pie were 36V, but as I will be switching between 24 and 48 volt, a 36V battery meter is not really much use to me. ???

On 24V I get just the red light, and on 48V all three stay on continually (and the unit gets noticeably warm).
I might just wire it to the 24V circuit so the red light will indicate that I have power turned on.
(At least it should be better than nothing.)

I will be using a separate voltmeter so I can hopefully keep an eye on my battery level: ;)

The large LCD display should be easy to read in the sun, and the back-lighting should be good in the dark.

An audible battery monitoring unit will also be fitted for when I'm not paying attention! ::)

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 06:42:18 PM by Bikemad »