Author Topic: 5 Beeps? No Go  (Read 41488 times)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Faulty controller
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2010, 01:40:53 AM »

* controller 2 (the new one): 4.61V between H+ and H-. I can connect every wire, the voltage remains to 4.61V. Only
when I connect the red and black wires to H+ and H- the voltage drops to 4.1V.

4.1V is probably about right, I would expect it to be slightly lower because of the current being drawn by the three hall sensors. ;)

When turning the wheel (the front wheel for me) the voltage on Ha, Hb and Hc vary from 0v to about 5v.
That's a pretty good indication that the three hall sensors are all working correctly. :)

The battery voltage is above 56V for me.
56V is slightly too high, that works out at just over 4.3V per cell.
The end of charge voltage should be 4.20V ±0.05V per cell (54.6V ±0.65V), but it may just be that your meter is just reading a bit high.

I guess the next step deals with the wheel itself. Does it make sense to connect the phases to an ohmmeter ?

It certainly won't do any harm to check the resistances between the three phase wires, you could also check the resistance between the wires and the axle itself to see if there is any sign of a short circuit to ground. I'll be very surprised if there is a problem with the windings, as these motors do not usually suffer from winding problems (unless they have been severely overheated).

I'm expecting the three resistance readings to all be pretty similar and that no reading whatsoever will be obtained between the windings and the axle, but it would still be nice to actually have this confirmed.

I'm still puzzled as to how the second controller has become damaged, when the rest of your wiring appears to check out OK.
It would appear that at least two out of the six FETs inside the controller have for some reason failed in a short circuit condition, but I have no idea as to how (or why) this could have happened.

Alan

Offline ltalbot

Re: 5 Beeps? No Go
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2010, 05:10:27 AM »
Hi Alan,

ok, I'll check the resistance between the 3 wires and with the axle.
I forgot to mention that my battery is not a GM battery. So I guess the 56V measure is correct. But now I am wondering if a voltage above a certain value could damage the circuit or disable it... and therefore explain the 5 beeps at startup.
sorry I shoud have mentionned before but since I have another bike with a Magic Pie that works properly with this battery I thought it was ok.
Loic

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2010, 08:33:01 AM »
Hi all,

Sorry, have been busy for quite a bit now. It seems that the 5 beeps is a common problem. Could someone please summarize the entire problem, especially the "gm battery or non-gm battery" part for me so that I can come up with a test plan (email to yaoyuan@goldenmotor.com). Also include the voltage and AH of the batteries you used which caused that failure. Magic Pie is allegedly fail-proof. Warranty claims of Magic Pie is only valid if you use GM battery. It is advised on the website that you use GM batteries with a Magic Pie.

Offline ltalbot

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2010, 09:39:07 AM »
Hi,

thanks for the information.

Let me clarify the situation. The Magic Pie still works properly. I am not looking for warranty.

I have a problem with the 48V 1000W kit, the one with the separate controller. It has worked properly during more than 500 kilometers. Then, a battery wire was accidentally disconnected while running down a hill.

I thought I had burned the controller because of  the regenerative power.
Therefore I have changed the controller and now I have 5 beeps.

In my opinion the failure is not due to the battery because it was unfortunately disconnected when it happened.
I can buy a GM battery but I must be sure it will solve the problem!  8)

best regards
Loic

Offline ltalbot

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2010, 08:43:23 PM »
well

about 0.5 ohms between each motor wire, infinite between every wire and the axle.

I had a response from Tom asking more details,  I have replied and now I am waiting. But now I think something is wrong with the controller.

5 beeps must mean something.

Loic

Offline ltalbot

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2010, 01:54:01 PM »
Hi all,

I have found the problem: I have tried with somebody else's controller and it works perfectly.

The new one that GM has sent is just a bad quality item.

It should be added in the community knowledge that 5 beeps means out of order controller even if it's new

I hope it will help someone else   8)
Loic

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2010, 01:37:30 AM »
Loic, it's good that you've been able to prove exactly where the problem lies, but it's a shame that the replacement controller is faulty.

I hope you manage to get your bike back in action soon.
Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 08:01:48 PM by Bikemad »

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2010, 09:08:36 AM »
Ohhh seriously makes me scratch my head with my replacement controller lol

Never seen 5v in it and no beeps :( still sitting next to me laughing at me...
What on earth could cause this wheel not to work is beyond me. I'll be buying a cheap ebay controller to 'triple' check this now me thinks  ???

Alan - you would have to own the best collection of emoticons!! lol they are awesome

Offline semper_linux

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2010, 10:11:51 AM »
I also have a 2 month old ProKit 901 with a busted controller - 5 beeps.

An email to 'Tom' produced the reply - "controller broken" - that was it - nothing else.

I have sent emails requesting a replacement but no reply.

Does anyone know how I can get Golden Motor to send me a replacement ?

Offline skindoc4

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2010, 12:54:42 PM »
 :-\
I am pleased to advise the forum that Phillip Yao finally came through, only about 5 months after first promising a replacement controller. It arrived two weeks ago and am I delighted to report that it appears to be functioning flawlessly. All this angst could have been avoided if only they had responded in a timely fashion. I may well have even bought a second kit for another bike if the controller had been replaced promptly but I won't be rushing to send Golden Motors any more money for a while.

I hope Golden Motors is attending to others who have had faulty controllers.

Alex

Offline semper_linux

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2010, 04:20:53 PM »
well, I got a reply from Tom 2 days ago. He would have received my reply before getting up for work, so we'll see what this brings.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2010, 11:10:22 AM »
:-\
I am pleased to advise the forum that Phillip Yao finally came through, only about 5 months after first promising a replacement controller. It arrived two weeks ago and am I delighted to report that it appears to be functioning flawlessly. All this angst could have been avoided if only they had responded in a timely fashion. I may well have even bought a second kit for another bike if the controller had been replaced promptly but I won't be rushing to send Golden Motors any more money for a while.

I hope Golden Motors is attending to others who have had faulty controllers.

Alex

I do find it unfortunate that some warranty issues take along time for GM to come through. I as dealer find that them responding to warranty issues is a slow and painfulll process. But once again GM has come through and will be honouring several issues I had on the table. I just wish it didnt take weeks to do so.

Gary

Offline edu

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2010, 10:33:41 PM »
Hi everybody, and thanks for your nice info!

Seems to me Gm has a quality problem with the controler: Same problem after 1 month of normal use: 5 beeps, wheel hard to move.

The day it stopped the controller was quite warm -not hot. Temperature problem? I was driving flat and very slow.
Does anyone know
1. Other controller in the market fitting their motor? I read somewhere Gm one is a copy from Crystalite
2. A guide to replace the damaged part (if its a known one, mosfet or so)

I'm runnig minimotor kit, 250watt, 36v, 10Ah. Good results till now!  >:(

Thanks everybody

Offline luisgouveia

• Confirmed
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2010, 01:12:40 PM »
Hello guys,

Just like it happened to you, I had the same problem: 5 beeps, wheel hard to move.

I've used an ancient controller and the motor is fine. The problem really comes from the controller.

GM STAFF: Can you guive us a guide to replace the damaged part? I'm sure you already know the problem. I see that it's very usual.

My setup:

250W Mini motor
Magic controller (broken)
2*5S LiPoly batteries (37V)

Thanks for an answer,
Luís

Offline Husvarden

• Confirmed
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2010, 02:07:31 PM »
Hi

The same thing happend to me. There is a thred here: http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=2512.0

5 beeps, wheel hard to move,

Only used it for 50 km and 14 days. Used it normally!
Tom have told me that the the internal controler was broken.

1000w Magic Pie
Internal controler (broken)
48v battery from GM China