Author Topic: Magic Pie 4 software connection issues  (Read 5677 times)

Offline Pwd

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Magic Pie 4 software connection issues
« on: September 22, 2017, 07:54:29 PM »
Hello again,

I've been trying to get my Magic Pie 4 front to connect to the Golden Motor software but it doesn't seem to work anymore. I was able to program is successfully a couple years ago when I first got it. The motor operates fine. I've went through the connection process on YouTube and here:
https://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=5330.msg30521#msg30521

The USB drivers seem to be installed correctly because the usb-serial device is showing up in device manage using latest usb drivers I could find (3.3.2011.11).

I have successfully connected the controller in the past to change regen and acceleration settings. I have also recently tried on a few different machines without any luck. Three Windows 7 machines and two Windows 10 machines.

After I connecting the USB lead to the computer, running the software and clicking connect I get the "No response because of timeout" message. At that point I turn on the power to the controller but nothing happens. If I understand correctly, this is when the controller should connect.

I've also tried a couple different versions of the programming software:

v3.3.0.b150501
v3.1.3(b14-074)

I wish the software had more information about the connection etc... to better diagnose issues. A Linux option would be nice too.  8)

Do you have any idea what might be wrong?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie 4 software connection issues
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 11:06:44 AM »
Have you selected the correct COM port as shown in the device manager USB_SERIAL CH340 (COM*) entry?

It might be worth checking the pins on the connector to make sure none of the fives pins have been accidentally bent over inside the harness connector plug.

Try installing the USB driver for the VEC controllers from the GM website to see if it makes any difference.

Alan

P.S. I have attached the details of my driver on a Windows 7 Professional PC:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 11:16:34 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Pwd

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 08:48:30 PM »
Thanks for the reply Alan.

I still can't seem to get it to work. I've installed the USB driver that you suggested/linked to. That appeared to be the same one I was using but I installed it anyway. The five pins look ok on the harness. For what its worth, I've also tried to get the software to connect without the throttle and brakes connected.

I'm starting to lean toward a faulty controller (the USB part anyway) or a faulty USB serial adapter.  :-\

Offline Pwd

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 12:55:07 PM »
For the record, I've had someone test the USB cable and confirmed that the cable is fine.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 09:48:55 PM »
If you are not using a pedelec sensor, it might be worth checking that the insulation on the unused wires has not shrunk over time and is allowing any of the inner wires to touch each other.

On earlier controllers, if the blue reverse wire touches against the black or red wire, then programming can not take place.
I don't think that the MP4 and MP5 suffer from the same problem as they don't appear to share the blue reverse lead with the program data, but it might be worth checking, just in case.

A short between the red +5V wire and the black ground wire, could also prevent the programming function from working, but this would also prevent the motor from running as well.  ::)

Alan

Offline Pwd

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 10:47:51 PM »
If you are not using a pedelec sensor, it might be worth checking that the insulation on the unused wires has not shrunk over time and is allowing any of the inner wires to touch each other....

For the record, I have since checked the pedelec sensor wires and re-applied heat-shrink to each one to ensure they don't make any contact.

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 01:24:22 PM »
Hi pwd,

For me this generally this happens when...
1) Your communication cable is not properly plugged into the 5 pin harness connector.
2) Battery is not powering up the controller.

Tried to look into this further by trying to jump some connections and seeing the results. But it's so tight, just could do two at a time...
Error also shows when the below inputs are connected.
1) JUST 5 volt regulated power and battery ground.
2) JUST TX and RX.
3) JUST Battery + and battery ground are. Used my Smart Display for this one, shows communication error. Error 9.

Looking back on your controllers history, it may have been damaged by your direct shorting of the 5 volt regulated power during the brake switch wiring problem...?  :o Did you lose communication after this? ???

I would check for power at the controller communication 5 pin connector.

Pins 2 to 4 for 5 volt, 2 and 5 for battery.  Hopefully something will show. Last hope would be continuity between controller board and TX RX pins...with no shorts.
See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub E-Bike build  HERE.

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 09:00:14 PM »
After testing further with some custom made jumpers...

Found that all you need for communication is TX,RX, and Battery ground.   :)
See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub E-Bike build  HERE.