Author Topic: Over volting the Magic Pie 5  (Read 3150 times)

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Over volting the Magic Pie 5
« on: December 06, 2015, 06:14:55 PM »
So I am a little confused here.  I have two bike's set up- 36 volt MP5 front wheel drive; and 48 volt rear wheel drive.  Can I hook the 48 volt battery to the 36 volt front wheel bike and overvolt it for extra power? Or do I change the controller settings.  I noticed that the throttles are marked 36 or 48 and wondered if they could handle it?

Thanks

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Over volting the Magic Pie 5
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 01:29:41 AM »
All of the Magic Pie motors and controllers can be used with 24V, 36V or 48V batteries, but you will need to set the correct battery voltage in the controller parameters for the controller to work properly.

The 36V throttle will work on 48V but all three battery gauge LEDs will probably stay on all the time (even though the 48V battery may be almost completely exhausted) and the throttle housing will get noticeably warm.

Over the past few years I have regularly used 48V batteries with 36V throttles and have not experienced any problems, apart from the occasional inconsistent regen operation if the battery voltage and the voltage setting in the controller were mismatched.

Please Note: If you have 24V or 36V LED lights powered from a 24V or 36V battery they might not appreciate being fed with 48V:

The 10-30V 18W LED Light shown above died instantly when I accidentally knocked the light switch by mistake while testing the Smart Pie with a 48V battery. ::)

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:04:34 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Over volting the Magic Pie 5
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 12:34:09 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I had problems with my first MP5 which was programmed for 48 volts, but my throttle used to get hot, and the power indicator lights would blink and not stay lit.  I wonder if I was using a 36 volt throttle?  I will mess around with this, as I want to see if my Townie can handle 48 volts on a front wheel drive.