Author Topic: replacement battery  (Read 24896 times)

Offline Natloz

replacement battery
« on: August 15, 2007, 02:10:37 PM »
one of my golden motor SLA batteries won't hold charge anymore (I think it was defective when I got it). It is the 6 DZM-10, 12 volt battery. I wrote to "sales@goldenmotor.com" if I can purchase a new one but I got no reply. Does anyone know where I can puchase one?

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: replacement battery
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 03:50:18 PM »
Are you looking for these in the USA, or another country?

There is nothing special about the 12V sealed lead-acid / absorbent glass mat batteries that were sold with your kit.  You just need to find a dealer with a 12V, 12Ah SLA/AGM battery you can buy.  There are a lot of possibilities.  I have had my eye on Rage Battery (www.ragebattery.com) but I haven't bought from them, so I can't comment on their reliability, customer service, or warranty support.  They are currently selling a case of four (4) 12V, 12Ah batteries for $69.88 shipped [edit... prices and shipping policies may have changed since this post, post up if you are charged a shipping fee], with a 2-year warranty against manufacturer's defects.  http://www.ragebattery.com/power-sonic/D5775case.html

One thing to remember about warranties on batteries.  If they are limited cycle batteries, such as NiMH or SLA, you shouldn't expect to be able to replace your batteries under warranty service after you have run them through more than 100 or 150 cycles.  Also, deep discharges should be considered warranty voiding.  Batteries are a consumable and have a limited cycle life.  The main point of the warranty is to protect you against DOA and extremely short lived batteries.  Thinking you are going to ride a set of SLA batteries hard for 2 years of free replacements is wishful thinking and is out of the realm of reasonable expectations.

-Mike
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 04:49:08 PM by OneEye »

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 06:56:22 PM »
... I have had my eye on Rage Battery (www.ragebattery.com) but I haven't bought from them, so I can't comment on their reliability, customer service, or warranty support.  They are currently selling a case of four (4) 12V, 12Ah batteries for $69.88 shipped, with a 2-year warranty against manufacturer's defects.  http://www.ragebattery.com/power-sonic/D5775case.html ...

Thanks for that tip, Mike; that is a good price for those batteries. And free shipping too? Almost gotta ask, "what's the catch?"

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 07:07:34 PM »
Can't say that I know what the catch is.  For all I know they are a fly-by-night Nigerian scam operation. 

As I stated when I posted, I don't have any direct experience with the company, just found them during some internet searching and have been keeping my eye on their prices for a month or two.  Their other prices have been in line with expectations until just recently when I found this 4-pack deal.  It might be as simple as they get them in a box of 4 already so they just slap a new shipping label over the manufacturer's label and ship it out, reducing their handling time and packaging costs.  I have only been able to find 1 customer review online, and that was a simple "ordered it and they shipped it fast" type comment (http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Rage_Battery).  The batteries in the 4-pack are manufactured by Universal Power Group, which is supposed to have a decent reputation as an SLA/AGM manufacturer.

-Mike
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 07:17:36 PM by OneEye »

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 08:44:49 PM »
Of the 3- 12AH and 4- 18AH SLA Universals I've purchased I've had to replace 4 under warranty within the first month or two due to a dead cell. This is after maybe 20 to 30 cycles max with minimal stress errand use at 5.1 miles per trip and I have kept them on trickle charge between trips at 13.8 volts standby after initial cyclic charge of 14.8 volts.

The article I stumbled on about ground water pollution in the Philippines as the result of battery re-manufacture being a cottage industry there may explain the high rate of failure.

According to the article when old batteries are received they are opened and the cells removed and load tested. Any that pass are recycled directly by putting then into a new case which is then sealed. In some redistribution cases the fact that these batteries are recycled may not be clear and they eventually end up being sold as new. Bad cells are thrown in a pile and latter melted down to extract the lead.

Battery "manufacturers" like Universal then have adapted to this scenario by offering a long warranty period under the guideline that OneEye suggests - replacement of dead cell batteries within the first few months and forget replacement periods longer than this or for batteries that will no longer hold a charge.

THE BASEL BAN AND BATTERIES
lead - China
battery recycling
expert panel
Recycling in the Philippines (power point presentation)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 02:26:41 AM by myelectricbike »

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 05:49:29 PM »
Can't say that I know what the catch is.  For all I know they are a fly-by-night Nigerian scam operation. 

As I stated when I posted, I don't have any direct experience with the company, just found them during some internet searching and have been keeping my eye on their prices for a month or two.  Their other prices have been in line with expectations until just recently when I found this 4-pack deal.  It might be as simple as they get them in a box of 4 already so they just slap a new shipping label over the manufacturer's label and ship it out, reducing their handling time and packaging costs.  I have only been able to find 1 customer review online, and that was a simple "ordered it and they shipped it fast" type comment (http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Rage_Battery).  The batteries in the 4-pack are manufactured by Universal Power Group, which is supposed to have a decent reputation as an SLA/AGM manufacturer.

-Mike

I just looked at the batteries in the link you first provided and noticed that the price jumped by about $2 a battery over the weekend. Don't know if that adds to their credibility or not, but... Even with the price jump, $20 a piece for a 12A battery isn't bad, especially with free shipping!

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 02:55:21 AM »
  On the Rage website, they have a BBB online certification listed. Simply check with BBB for any problems or complaints the company may of had in the past. :D

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 05:18:49 AM »
I just purchased 4 UB12220 SLA batteries from www.BatteriesInAFlash.com and they arrived promptly. On the UB12220 batteries their prices are better than the other sites mentioned here.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 05:40:47 AM »
 How much each? Free Shipping?

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 06:09:14 AM »
$39.95 US for each battery shipping for all 4 batteries $40.33 US, total $200.13.

I didn't notice the case quantity price when I looked at the Rage site earlier. Their case quantity price is $30.60 per battery so depending upon their case shipping price they might be cheaper. So much for my good deal.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 08:05:48 AM »
ebatteriestogo, which became eproductstogo, now sells stuff you can buy at a thrift store, but at the original price of the item! ???

Things sure happen fast on the Internet. Looks like now they switched back! ??? ???

D5775 UB12120F2 F2 12V 12 5.95 3.90 3.70 $27.95 w/free shipping over $50, i.e., 3
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 09:28:01 PM by myelectricbike »

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 05:00:58 PM »
The rage battery case deal has gotten worse again.  They no longer ship case quantities for free, before they were shipping orders over $50 for free.  The current price is $80.35 for the 4 batteries, with a $24.56 shipping charge (to northern California).  This brings the set to $105, or $26.23 each, delivered.  This is a lot closer to what I've heard is the going rate on 12Ah 12V SLA's, which is ~$25 to ~$27 delivered for a decent deal.

I hope someone was able to get in while the prices were in flux.  It was a bargain for about a week or so.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 08:16:54 PM »
If you go to the "battery finder" on the website and  put SLA in the first box, then eletric bike, then warrior model, it takes you to SLA17-12(12volt 18Ah) for $24.05 each. I do not know what the quirk is here, but we should exploit it fast beofore it changes. The site also say free shipping except case quantities. 3 batteries do not equal a case! Good Luck  ;D

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 09:37:29 PM »
If you go to the "battery finder" on the website and  put SLA in the first box, then eletric bike, then warrior model, it takes you to SLA17-12(12volt 18Ah) for $24.05 each. I do not know what the quirk is here, but we should exploit it fast beofore it changes. The site also say free shipping except case quantities. 3 batteries do not equal a case! Good Luck  ;D

What site are you finding that on? Got a link you can post?

Thanks!

Update: Never mind. Found it. Link
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 09:39:42 PM by Dave »

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 09:54:21 PM »
 That was on the Ragebattery website.  hear is a screenshot to prove it:

Code Product Quantity Price/Ea. Total
  SLA17-12 SLA17-12     $24.05 $120.25
      Total: $120.25