Author Topic: Programming the Magic Pie 4 with the Vector controller  (Read 14174 times)

Offline Abe

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Programming the Magic Pie 4 with the Vector controller
« on: March 07, 2015, 08:42:14 AM »
Hi Alan,

I have a few questions on the settings(I have a 26" Rear hub Magic Pie 4 with the Vector controller).
(Let's say that I know to connect the controller to a laptop and run the program)
I am using it with the 48V 20AH Lithium battery pack.
I don't have PAS connected.

How can I program the controller to achieve?

1.       Input voltage  48V 500W.

2.       Input voltage  48V 750W.
** Which parameters in the Green table should be changed and what new values have to be insert Instead.

Battery Information
Nominal Voltage                      48 V
Nominal Capacity                    20 Ah
Max Discharging Current        30 A ( BMS SET 1000W )
Maximum Charge Voltage   ?  54.6 V
Discharge cut-off voltage        36.4 V

Rated Discharge Current (A)  :                              20A
Instantaneous Maximum Discharge Current (A):   40A
 Maximum Continuous Discharge Current (A):       25A

Thank you very much,
Abe
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:56:06 AM by Abe »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Programming the Smart Pie 4 with the Vector controller
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 11:28:34 AM »

How can I program the controller to achieve?
1.       Input voltage  48V 500W.
2.       Input voltage  48V 500W.
** Which parameters in the Green table should be changed and what new values have to be insert Instead.

Hi Abe andto the forum.

You will need to adjust the "Main Battery Current (A)" or "Battery drawn current" setting to control the maximum wattage (These are both the same but named differently according to the controller and software used).
The required value can be worked out as described here:

I haven't been able to find any info on programming the controller?
(No pdf instruction sheets) Just a couple videos, that doesn't explain much.
Also, the videos are older versions of the software.
Also wondering what kind of settings will need to be changed to keep the 1000w motor within the legal range?

Hi Chris,

Check out the Programming the Vector Controller thread for more information on programming the vector controller along with Gary's video.

The settings will depend upon the specific legal requirements in your particular country, and the main settings affecting legal compliance will be the "Maximum Forward speed (rpm)" and the "Battery drawn current" which will need to be reduced to the required levels.

The correct rpm setting for the "Maximum Forward speed (rpm)" can be determined with the aid of this spreadsheet. Simply enter the maximum permitted speed in the highlighted cell under "Required Speed" in the lower section and then read off the "Wheel rpm" for your particular wheel (tyre) size in the relevant column for either mph or km/h.

The "Battery drawn current" can be calculated by dividing the permitted wattage by the battery voltage and then multiplying the result by 1.25 to allow for the difference between the consumed power and the actual output power at a typical 80% motor efficiency.

The following example uses the ludicrously low UK limits:
Maximum permitted Speed = 15 mph
Maximum permitted Power = 200 Watts
Wheel size = 700c
Battery Voltage = 48 Volts

"Maximum Forward speed (rpm)" = Wheel rpm @ 15 mph  for a 700c wheel = 187 (Result obtained from spreadsheet)

"Battery drawn current" = (200/48) x 1.25 = 4.17 x 1.25 = 5.21 Amps

You can double check the power results like this if you wish:
Power Output (Watts) = Volts x Amps x Motor Efficiency = 48 x 5.21 x 80% = 200 Watts

So in your case, the "Battery drawn current" (or "Main Battery Current (A)") = (500/48) x 1.25 = 10.42 x 1.25 = 13 Amps.

Power Output (Watts) = Volts x Amps x Motor Efficiency = 48 x 13 x 80% = ~500 Watts

Alan

Offline Abe

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Programming the Magic Pie 4 with the Vector controller
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 12:18:11 PM »
Hello Alan,
So simple, so logical,
Bless you,
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:53:39 AM by Abe »

Offline Abe

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 06:00:46 AM »
Hello Alan,
Is there somewhere in the user guide for the program PIE 4 which explains the meaning of all the fields that you can edit / change, as in PIE 3, I add a Attach File MP III Program New.EXE ...
Thank you,
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:53:57 AM by Abe »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Programming the Smart Pie 4 with the Vector controller
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 06:39:34 PM »
Abe, that User manual included with that MPIII program is not suitable for the Vector controller software used with the Magic Pie 4 and Smart Pie 4.

The correct program for the vector controllers looks a bit like this:

Except it should only have a single column for the stored parameter values instead of the three columns which I used to illustrate the different default voltage settings.

If I can find some spare time, I will try to put together a similar style guide for the vector controller explaining in more detail what each of the settings are for.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 09:13:29 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Abe

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 07:50:08 PM »
Hello Alan,
Thank you, the example of software that I sent is only an example and does not relates to PIE 4.
This was exactly my intention, to hear that someone intended to write very soon User Guide contains the most significant fields / parameters of the green table, of course, at this stage there is no intention to explain all the parameters / fields but only the most important.
In addition, describe what the values that update the same fields.

** I think that person will have many rights especially now that more people are buying the new PIE 4 which will make it easier for everyone.

Thank you,

Abe
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:54:32 AM by Abe »

Offline Abe

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 08:17:25 PM »
Hello Alan,

The marked in red on the right column, Are those really the values that need for a battery of 48V?
Thank you,

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:54:44 AM by Abe »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 02:12:10 PM »
Those figures are the default values for the Magic Pie 4 vector controller:

The Smart Pie 4 vector controller settings are shown here:

You will notice that the voltage settings are the same for both controllers, but the current settings are much lower for the Smart Pie, and the default maximum forward speed is also slightly lower (360rpm instead of 380rpm).

The "Decel level 1 (rpm/s)" parameter is wrongly named as it should be labelled "Maximum Reverse Speed (rpm)" because that's what the setting actually adjusts.
The 65rpm default setting is approximately 5mph (8km/h) with a typical 26" wheel.
Although Reverse is enabled by default within the controller, you would still need to wire up a suitable switch to allow the reverse option to be physically selected. If you are definitely not going to use the reverse function, it might be better to disable it using the programming software to prevent it from being instantly engaged if the exposed copper wires protruding from the end of the Black and Blue wires on the motor harness accidentally touch against each other.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:37:54 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Abe

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 03:39:33 PM »
Hello Alan,
Thanks again, What is the advantage if there is any to use the reverse function?
What is the meaning of  function "Max EBS phase current" ?
Alan, you are asking to use the following software in the current version: Revised GM_v3_1_1(201406231)_GED
However, there is a more advanced version lbmc gui V3.2.0 (b14.....) what is desirable for me to use?
Thanks,
Abe

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 01:30:42 AM »
Hi Abe,

The reverse function is sometimes used on trikes (and four wheeled vehicles) to make it easier to reverse.

On certain bikes it is sometimes necessary to fit the front wheel with the disc brake on the right hand side instead of the more commonly accepted left hand side. When this happens, you need to permanently reverse the direction or the motor to make the wheel rotate in the correct direction as the wheel is actually fitted backwards.

The "Max EBS phase Current (A)" affects the level of electrodynamic braking force produced when regenerative braking is activated. The higher the setting, the stronger the braking force will be.

There are several different versions of the programming software for the Vector controllers:

I use the LBMC_GUI_v3.1.2_GoldenMotor.exe program for the very early vector controllers and the Revised GM_v3_1_1(201406231)_GED.exe program for more recent vector controllers.
Please note that the program revision numbers are confusing as V3.1.1 is actually a more recent revision than V3.1.2. ::)

The following versions should also work correctly with later vector controllers:
LMBC GUI V3.2.0(b14-1112) From the Golden Motor Website and LBMC GUI V3.1.3(b14-0704) from the Golden Motor Canada Website.

If you have a recent vector controller you have a choice of three programs, all of which should work fine, but if you have an early vector controller you must use the V3.1.2 software with the dropdown box for the acceleration setting or it will not work correctly.
If you use the wrong software with an early vector controller you should see a value of 5 for the Acceleration when you load the default settings.

Alan

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 10:25:58 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Abe

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 06:50:43 AM »
Hi Alan,

So, because my bike are standard, there is no need to use this function ("Decel level 1 (rpm/s)"), right?

Thanks,
Abe

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 03:46:27 PM »
If you don't have the black and blue wires on the motor harness joined together to use the reverse function (either through a switch or permanently) then the value in "Decel level 1 (rpm/s)" will not matter as it will not be used.

Alan

Offline Abe

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 06:07:54 PM »
Hi Alan,
As usual a pleasure to read your explanations.
Thank you,