Author Topic: Magic Pie II Updates  (Read 69968 times)

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
Magic Pie II Updates
« on: March 16, 2010, 01:58:21 AM »
Hello All,

In the making of the Version II, I've somehow managed to convince Philip to increase the Volt limit of the Magic Pie to 90V (happy?). We will be testing to see if it's stable enough for the spokes/rims etc. Once that's finished, then it would be put on the website for sale.

Magic Pie II
Changelog:
1)Max volts accepted increased to 90V (accepts 24V, 36V, 48V and 72V)
2)Controllers are upgraded to programmable controllers of which the controller's parameter settings can be edited using a PC with optional interface cable with USB port.
3)Major spoke pattern upgrade to increase reliability of the spokes (Re: BikeMad spoke diagram)
4)USB-MagicPie II Cable is optional for those want programming features.
5)motor ring and axle upgrade to relocate the center of the hub, aligning it to the center of the bike frame.
6)16", 18" cast MagicPie, and 24", 26", 700c and 28" spokes MagicPie wheel will be available to adapt most exsting bicycles

I've somehow also managed to convince Philip to do another round of promotion. As well as an approximated 190USD offer to those that have bought the first Magic Pie. (I'm not sure about the cost price of this new Magic Pie)
This section of the forum is dedicated to this product and useful complaints/discussions of this product will be taken into consideration.
Thanks to all the members of this forum.

Yours,
Yao Yuan
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 06:45:52 AM by Yao Yuan »

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Magic Pie II Updates
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 02:09:11 AM »
Hello Yao!

Nice and very good! That is exactally why I chose to be a dealer for Golden Motor  in Brazil (I'm Bruno F. Porto, the one who is negotiating with .....) You hear your costumers and this is very, very good!  ;D

I should close the deal this week, but I was planning to buy 10 Magic Pies and I'm concerned with the actual known problems, mostly the off center rim with is the only serius problen I had so far. When do you think that the MPII will be available?

You could call it Magic Pi (? greek) with is a very nice name.

I would like to give you an idea for the battery meter - PUT IT IN THE BATTERY as they do with notebooks batteries, that type that shows you the battery level when you press a push button, there is no need for that big and not so precise battery metter inside the throttle. This should be really nice.

*Edited
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 08:03:11 PM by GM Brazil »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 02:03:27 PM »

Yao,

It's good to know changes are being made, how soon do you think before they will be available?

1)Max volts accepted increased to 90V (accepts 24V, 36V, 48V and 72V)
I'm not so sure the throttle mounted battery gauge will be able to cope with 90V, as my 36V unit already gets very warm on 56V.
Don't forget 60V for those still using SLA batteries.

5)motor ring and axle upgrade to relocate the center of the hub, aligning it to the center of the bike frame.
I thought the rim was being realigned to the center of the bike frame.

6)16", 18" cast MagicPie, and 24", 26", 700c and 28" spokes MagicPie wheel will be available to adapt most existing bicycles
No mention of a 20" wheel option?

Any chance of Variable Regen being implemented on the version II?

Is the Reverse option going to be made available on Version II?

What's the latest on the anti-theft and alarm function?

Can the LVC be lowered to 18V so that 22.2V 6cell LiPo packs can be used?

Alan

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 06:25:07 AM »
I can only answer one question at the moment, Volt range of MPII is 0 to 90V

Offline addicted2climbing

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 11:57:38 PM »
Hello,

I just started researching in converting a bike to Electric and found the Magic Pie.  I see you offer it in a 28" version.  Is that to convert a 29er mountainbike?  I am trying to decide between 700c & 29er.  When will the new version II be available?  Rough guess is fine?  I am not in any hurry and would be willing to wait since I am a heavier rider at 240lbs and may be able to use the added voltage ability.

Take care,

Marc

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 06:11:07 AM »
Q: No mention of a 20" wheel option?
A: In the process of making. All the 20" will be Magic Pie II.

Q: Any chance of Variable Regen being implemented on the version II?
A: If you are talking about changing the level of Regeneration, then it would be available by just using the software provided by us. If you are talking about something else then I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Q: Is the Reverse option going to be made available on Version II?
A: Reverse Option is too dangerous to be considered for implementation, however, such a function exists in the controller.

Q: What's the latest on the anti-theft and alarm function?
A: ... Brainstorming...

Q: Can the LVC be lowered to 18V so that 22.2V 6cell LiPo packs can be used?
A: Magic Pie II's lowest voltage limit is now 18V.

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 08:04:23 AM »
Q: Any chance of Variable Regen being implemented on the version II?
A: If you are talking about changing the level of Regeneration, then it would be available by just using the software provided by us. If you are talking about something else then I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Variable regenerative breaking means: be able to control the level of the regenerative WHILE you are breaking. An example:

When you just breaks, the regenerative will works at a standart (or set by usb) level, but if you use the throttle togueter you can set it up to brake softly, in such way that you can keep a high speed, controlled speed, down hill while the regen recharges the battery OR you can set up a low level in such way that you can pedal the bike and recharge the battery a little.

It would be nice if the CC do this automatically - let me explain the idea - For example, now my pie set the CC level by the throttle, not the speed. But if the controller is intelligent enough it will control the speed! Acelerating uphill to keep it and using VARIABLE REGENERATIVE BRAKE downhill to keep the same speed even in a very step down hill. This will be VERY SMART.

And if in the case I use the bracke+thottle to set up certain level of regen and press the CC button, the bike will keep that regen level (no aceleration, juts a small breaking effect) in such way that peddalling will give the battery some juice, want some example??? Here it is!

http://www.epluselectricbike.com/TidalForce_M750_x2pt0_Electric_Bike_Features.php

Check this from that link:
1.*  Through the E+ Advanced LCD display unit, the E+ can be  set into one of nine different "fitness" modes which turns the motor into a generator and charges the battery as you pedal.  Basically, the higher the resistance the more you charge the battery - become your own human electricity generator!

2.*  Each time either brake lever is pressed, the motor is used to help slow the vehicle down through regenerative braking.  The energy created by the motor spinning is used to charge the battery as the vehicle slows down.

So, this is what VARIABLE REGEN means and can do, besides the smart CC, smart downhill max speed control, etc - this would be new and never seen in the market!!

I'm sure that the Golden Motor would be much more smart - the LCD could be a bluetooth wireless one, so it will show speed, set up the regen level, or the "fitness level", show battery voltage, Ah consumption, etc. Why I would need to plug my bike to a pc with such a device?  ;) Or even wired to be cheaper and it can be sold separeted, and use the same wires that the usb connection will use - I can chose to have an nice "ebike computer" or to set up this things using the cheaper usb cable.

Just some ideas!!!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 08:21:14 AM by GM Brazil »

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 08:19:05 AM »
To summarize the possibilites of the Smart Regen (a trademark of Golden Motor!!!?  8) )

1- Set up a maximum downhill speed
    example: If you set up 45km/h when you are at a very inclined dowhhill the regen will automatically works to keep that maximum speed and of course recharges the battery

2- Smart CC
    example: When you press the CC button it will be based on the SPEED not the throttle position, so when you press the CC at 30 km/h the pie will automatically acelerate increase power uphill and use the smart regen to keep it at 30km/h downhill

3- Charge the battery while peddaling, or "Fitness mode"
    example: You use the cc button+throttle or set it up by the ebike computer to apply a very low level of regen so you will pedal your bike and recharges the battery, and grow some muscles :D In this case, when you use the brake again it will activate the standard regenerative brake level and then goes back to the set "fitness level" and to turn this completely off you can accelerate using the throttle or press just the cc button again.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 11:05:35 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Variable Regenerative braking
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 11:16:38 AM »
It would be nice if the CC do this automatically - let me explain the idea - For example, now my pie set the CC level by the throttle, not the speed. But if the controller is intelligent enough it will control the speed! Acelerating uphill to keep it and using VARIABLE REGENERATIVE BRAKE downhill to keep the same speed even in a very step down hill. This will be VERY SMART.

Bruno, have you been reading my posts again? ::)
Variable regen suggestion

Alan

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 11:36:16 AM »
LOL!  ;D

Someone told me some time ago that great minds think alike!

8)

Offline gf3

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 04:37:07 AM »
You said there would be a discount for current Magic Pie owners. Would I be able to get this discount from your dealer  Davinci Mobility in Liverpool? I would like to be able to take it back if the new one is slow like the first one. Or if there is any other warranty problems.  Still a good motor though and I love the way it pulls up hills.

Offline malkowski

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 01:59:23 AM »
Another nice feature would be increased space around the brake disc mounting area. I've got two sets of brakes and neither fit out of the box, I had to dremel a little material away from the MagicPie in order for the disc to screw down properly. (The inner material that "sticks up" closer to the axle was too close to the screw holes.)

Also, my brake didn't have enough clearance between the disc and the motor, it took very precise adjustment to prevent it from scraping on the "jet engine" pieces that stick up a bit further. (Or just lower the raised surface which would work too...)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 02:36:22 AM by malkowski »

Offline windego

• Confirmed
Re: Magic Pie II Updates.....wheel offset?
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 02:26:40 PM »
Hi Guys

This is my first post but I have been lurkingfor a while  ;)
I have the 1st gen pie but am just building a bike for it. What have you guys done to get a good alignment from the offset of the rim? It seems to be around 15mm off. I am building a composite frame and rear forks so I can widen the spacing and put an offset on one side. I was thinking to put a torque arm on the offset side.

Cheers
Stan Woodman
Wolfe Island
Canada

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie II Updates.....wheel offset?
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 01:36:39 AM »
What have you guys done to get a good alignment from the offset of the rim?

Hi and welcome Stan.

This was my solution to the offset rim, but definitely not recommended for the faint hearted.

Click the photo if you'd like to see more details:

Alan

Offline Dennyb123

• Confirmed
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 01:11:28 PM »
Another great idea would be to clean up all the wiring that comes from the front of the bike and bottle necks into a single cable near the Magic Pie. Instead of having to run four separate cables for the handle bar components all the way to the back of the bike, where they connect to a single cable anyways. You can create a connection point near the bars in possibly a small junction box or something that could be wire tired somewhere up front. Then from there the same cable provided currently (just longer in length) would run down to the hub motor. Creating the need for just 1 small cable running from the front of the bike to the rear.  For people who will be hooking up accessories like lights or a horn, may have to run some extra wire to the back of the bike. The end result would still be cleaner and more professional looking setup right out of the box.