Author Topic: Advise for my 5kw 72v engine transport motorcycle conversion.. [updated]  (Read 7891 times)

Offline Jop Amsterdam

• Confirmed
thanx, think I have the red and black right but there is a good chance I switched the e-lock and throttle wire, white and green indeed.

luckily i'm reasonably sure I haven't fried it yet since I have a completely separate 72v battery indicator elsewhere, so even if I wired everything in my throttle wrong there is little chance I put more voltage through it than it can handle.

fingers crossed this is indeed where I went wrong

Offline Jop Amsterdam

• Confirmed
Seems my throttle was wired fine (though indeed wrongly set in the controller software) but I messed up in the hall wires afterall.

The 5 blink now switched to a 15 blink. Not much else happening

Measurement results:

Black - red 4.94 so good
Black - green/white throttle 0.84 to 3.5

Hall sensors while turning shaft by hand:
Yellow 0.1. - 3.1
Green 0.1. - 3.2
Blue 0.1 - 3.03
White 0.17 - 0.18 and sometimes the engine starts to want to start spinning spontanues

So it seems my problem (now) is on white, any thoughts?

Sorry to bother you this much, you are a livesaver.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic

Black - green/white throttle 0.84 to 3.5

Now I'm confused, is your throttle signal wire green, white, or green and white?

At least your Hall sensors appear to be working OK.  :D

I think the white wire in the motor's Hall sensor harness is the signal wire from the internal temperature sensor within the motor (it also shares the same black common ground connection as the Hall sensors)

Is the spontaneous spinning related to testing the voltage on the white wire?

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what error the 15 flashes relate to, as the highest I have seen documented is 14.

I suggest you email Andy at GoldenMotor in China (andyzhang@goldenmotor.com) and see if he can help.

Alan

Offline Jop Amsterdam

• Confirmed

Now I'm confused, is your throttle signal wire green, white, or green and white?

green&white on the controller harness which connects to white on the throttle wiring (green is the LED batery status i'm not using). Delightfully confusing isn't?

At least your Hall sensors appear to be working OK.  :D

whoop! babysteps

I think the white wire in the motor's Hall sensor harness is the signal wire from the internal temperature sensor within the motor (it also shares the same black common ground connection as the Hall sensors)

ah, that at least explains the different reading

Is the spontaneous spinning related to testing the voltage on the white wire?

yes, if I test it it seems the axle spins a bit more freely and if I then give it a hard swing the engine seems to want to start running.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what error the 15 flashes relate to, as the highest I have seen documented is 14.

I suggest you email Andy at GoldenMotor in China (andyzhang@goldenmotor.com) and see if he can help.

will do, thank you!

[/quote]

Offline Jop Amsterdam

• Confirmed
No reply out of China yet but after putting the software back to the default settings (safe the throttle being hall) and dis- and reconecting all my plugs the 15 flashes thing is mostly gone, it sometimes returns when I push in my brakes.
But now I have mostly a 4 flash stall time warning, when I use my throttle I hear it wants to do something, if I give it a hand swing it starts to run, but the second time I twist the throttle it starts to run backwards and runsaway while twisting the throttle suddenly works as a break?

Is this because its at this moment not connected to the chain/rearwheel or is it still doing stuff its not supposed too?

Offline Jop Amsterdam

• Confirmed
Ok, that last problem of my throttle acting like a break has suddenly been resolved, now it runs seemingly like it supposed too except only it runs backwards (unless I switch it in reverse but then my brake doesnt work?!?)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Perhaps the 15 regular flashes indicate that the brake is applied (or brake switch/wiring fault)?
Are you sure your brake was not applied (or the brake lever not fully released) before?

As your Hall sensors are definitely working, it sounds to me like either the Phase wires or Hall sensor signal wires are not connected in the correct positions/sequence, and this could explain why the motor is simply stalling instead of trying to turn.
If the controller thinks that the motor's shaft is in a different position due to incorrect wiring, it could be applying a reverse voltage to the phase wires which would cause the stator coils to magnetically attract the closest magnets causing the stall protection to cut in (hence the four flashes) instead of repelling the magnets, which would force the motor to turn.

The only problem you will encounter with trying to run the motor with no load is that it might rev up to maximum rpm as soon as the throttle starts to work.
This is because the throttle controls the motor's torque (not its rpm) so until the controller registers some load on the motor's shaft (by using current sensing to determine the torque) it cannot control the torque.
When load is detected, it should then be able to regulate the motor's rpm by adjusting the amount of torque being produced.

Ok, that last problem of my throttle acting like a break has suddenly been resolved, now it runs seemingly like it supposed too except only it runs backwards (unless I switch it in reverse but then my brake doesnt work?!?)

To reverse the motor's default direction of rotation, the Blue and Yellow Phase wires must be swapped over on the controller terminals, and the Green and Yellow Hall sensor wires must be swapped on the Hall sensor connector.

The regenerative braking (and the cruise function) will only work in the forward direction, which is why your brake doesn't work in reverse (but it should still cut the power to the motor);)

Alan

« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 05:03:42 PM by spellchecker »

Offline Jop Amsterdam

• Confirmed
Went to the shop and then ran it for a bit and now it seems to run fine, so maybe there was just some metal dust in there somewhere.

And yes im an idiot, it runs obviously backwards for me because its not designed for a motorcycle conversion, the standard is clockwise and I need it counterclockwise im going to try swapping what you have said, thank you!

Offline Jop Amsterdam

• Confirmed
Yes, the phase and hall switcharoo worked, this weekend I should be able to put my chain on and take it for a test drive.
Probably still have to increase my gear ratio but it should at least be enough to make it through the DMV check.

Thanx a thousand again and I will report back with how it rides.

Offline Jop Amsterdam

• Confirmed
so new day new problems to ask advise about.

in the end I got a 4:1 planetary gearbox, obviously the 13t:70t gear ratio was now way too high so now I run it with 15t:42t. while still a bit slow from the spot without a push that seem to run o.k. enough.

i had to take the motor off for some changes to the gearbox connection though and now after putting it back today I had a new problem.

using the throttle seems to give only really short bursts of power and then cut out, is this likely caused by;

- my programming of the vec300? I have everything back to factory settings except increasing the "accelerate" and "decelerate" rmp's, was that a bad idea? I also tried both the "linear" and the "hyperbolic" throttle setting (that didn't seem to make much difference, but what is the correct one?)

- low battery? the battery was pretty low but no way near too low I would think, I left it to charge overnight to be sure.

- I repositioned the motor 90 degrees too better come out with my wiring, did this mess with my motor hall sensors vs those of the throttle?

hope you have some suggestions, if not I will just keep fiddling but I try to understand what i'm doing instead of happening into a working conversion by accident with no idea how I got there.

thanx in advance again!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Hi Jop,

Simply rotating the motor 90 degrees should not have affected its operation, therefore I suspect it is more likely to be a problem with one or more of the program settings, but without knowing what the default (and maximum acceptable) values are, it is difficult to say which values need to be entered to cure the problem.

If you are using a twist or thumb throttle, the "Throttle mode selection" should be set to 0:Linear and "Speed Throttle Type" would typically be set to 0: Hall Effect.

"Hyperbolic" is only used when you have a Forward/Reverse boat style throttle with Neutral in the mid position.

Alan

Offline Jop Amsterdam

• Confirmed
Seem it was just low voltage on the batteries.
It runs and it runs well, needs a small toe push to start from a deadstop but after that it goes to 45k/h comfortably.

16 juli I need to show it at the “make it road legal” place.
Hopefully I get an all clear (still a bit worried about my new weight together with my antique brakes) and then I can really test it longer distance and hopefully get an idea of my range.

Thanx again for all the help! Ill ad some photos from the set up now with the planetary gearbox. (Which is an Apex dynamics 4:1 with straight teeth)

Offline Jop Amsterdam

• Confirmed
Pictures of the gearbox set up