Author Topic: Running a 48v controller and motor --- on a 60v system. Doable?  (Read 20955 times)

Offline OCD

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Running a 48v controller and motor --- on a 60v system. Doable?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 01:53:59 PM »
The GM 48 volt controllers have a internal parts with a voltage limit of 63 volts as your 48 volt battery is actually 54 v when fully charged it gives a safety margin. You will likely cook your controller on 60 volts. You need to use a 72 volt controller. What made you think you could put 96 volts through a 48 volt system? The motor will likely be okay but the extra heat generated will eventually fry the motor winding unless you vent the side covers or put a small amount of Auto trans fluid inside to increase thermal transference. All this info is available on endless-sphere.com

(the other) Alan

Offline Rayhaque

• Confirmed
    • My Zap Urbee Sightseeing Thing Blog
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2015, 01:00:27 AM »
What made you think you could put 96 volts through a 48 volt system? The motor will likely be okay but the extra heat generated will eventually fry the motor winding unless you vent the side covers ...

Actually, the specs for the motor (on this site) say the 48v motor takes up to 120v. I don't trust that either. I placed my order this morning and I went with the 72v motor and controller. I figure at 63 volts I will be around 85 percent. Which for a 5k motor should be pretty good.

I am doing the liquid cooled motor using a radiator and fan off of a motorcycle. Should be a fun project. I just hope I get the speed I am after.

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2015, 01:21:11 AM »
By the way, you do know that gear ratios also affect speed at a given motor RPM, right?

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline Rayhaque

• Confirmed
    • My Zap Urbee Sightseeing Thing Blog
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 06:57:58 PM »
Now that this project is complete I feel I should post an update. I was just finally able to put my motor and new controller in. I did the 72v 5Kw BLDC VEC300 from Golden Motor and it's gone pretty good.

All that worrying about voltages probably didn't matter, because there was a drop down in the controller configuration for 48/60/72. Selecting 60v also set the upper and lower settings for amperages, etc.

I do have some questions about some of those settings, but I will start a new thread for that.

Thanks to all the folks that offered me help and advice all that time ago!  :-)