Author Topic: A solution for Bluetooth APP Magic Pie5 on Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100  (Read 6651 times)

Offline Asterix

• Confirmed
I have a Magic Pie5 with the android bluetooth APP version 1.32.
We read here
http://goldenmotor.com/apps/
that this app is for "Android 4.4 or upper versions".

Well, yes it worked for an Android version 6.0.1: I can start it, connect to the controler, display the actual speed and current, and read the settings.
But I cannot change those settings: there is no "write successful" message after pushing the button "write to the controler".

So goldenmotor suggested me to use the APP under Android 4.4.4.
I had an old phone Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 that was on Android 4.1.2 where the APP did even not install...
So thanks to pokemon go, some guy did an interesting tutorial how to upgrade that phone to Android 4.4.4 and CyanogenMod cm-11-20141115-SNAPSHOT-M12-i9100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-75axEUphU

Ok, did that and installed again the APP version 1.32 on it.
Well, same behaviour: APP works but no luck for changing parameters.

Then recontacted goldenmotor that gave me an older version : 1.31.
Same problem on both Android versions : 6.0.1 and 4.4.4

Then recontacted goldenmotor that gave me an older version : 1.30.
=> BINGO! It worked on Android 4.4.4 (not 6.0.1)

So this combination is a working combination for the bluetooth APP:
- APP version 1.30
- Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100
- Android 4.4.4
- CyanogenMod cm-11-20141115-SNAPSHOT-M12-i9100

After that I was offered an automatic update to Cyanogenmod 12.
Did that and...no luck APP could again not write to controler.
So reverted back to cm-11-20141115-SNAPSHOT-M12-i9100.

The only disadvantage of that CM-version, is that battery consumption is higher than at beginning with old 4.1.2.
So discovered cm-11-20150905-Lanchon-NIGHTLY-i9100 that should correct that bug, flashed it...APP continues to work...but no change about battery consumption.

Those are the results of my ressearches: at least there is one working combination with a quite common smartphone.
There seem to be a big mess in the bluetooth implementation of this APP.
I have even sent a Bluetooth-log(nice feature of CM) to goldenmotor, but do they really care?

It seems that this APP is very very similar to another, look at bottom of page:
http://www.dongdianebikekits.com/support.asp?lx=1

So I gave a trial to
http://www.dongdianebikekits.com/xiazai3.rar
It is version 1.5 and the date is june 2016...so is it more recent version than 1.32?
It detects the controler, but it cannot connect to it.
The settings are exactly the same, so may be it is not goldenmotor that develops the APP but may be some other company.

Offline OneBadWolf

• Confirmed
Re: A solution for Bluetooth APP Magic Pie5 on Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 09:06:43 PM »
es not have one or more serious bugs with the GM app. 2 nights ago, it was somewhat working, I was trying to get the app tro save the config file for my controller, and I noticed that it had taken one of the values I changed, and written it to the bluetooth passcode change box.

I tried to change it back to the default 0, but the app locked, and caused the cell to reboot.

by a combination of using every cell I had, it eventually connected. On the default passcode....During the previously fun filled 4 hours, on any cell I own, it would bring up the password prompt, then crash. So much for any security on it.

I'm not prepared top keep buying random phones hoping to luck out.

Considering what an absolute horrorshow of an app this is, and a complete absence of any apparent development, I think GM has an obligation to place a repository of ALL versions on this, (with change logs) or their site, and fix their stuff. Or, in the alternate, release your source code and protocols, and let some people who know what they are doing, and have some pride in their code create something better, and open source.

It is going to happen eventually anyway, might as well be respected for helping others fix your shameful app.

This migt seem a little harsh, but I was not exactly gifted this system, I paid for it.

It does not do everything advertised. It does some of what is advertised some of the time.

Having to uninstall, install, and reconfigure the app every time I want to go for a ride, is a PITA.

I will not spend more buying phones, I'll spend the $ on an Adaptto if I cannot get this POS to function properly.

I'd be willing to try every version of this app, including Betas, in the hope of salvaging some of the $ I spent on it.

I've already had a quick peek under the hood of both the PC, and Android software, and it would be a great effort if it represented a grade 7 class project, but as a product to sell to the public? How a company can sell this, and then stop development is beyond my understanding.

If whatever particular glitch had locked me out, I'm going to bet that GM would not have accepted my explanation, and replaced it. It's very difficult to trust that this won't happen in the future, or that there will be an upgrade for Android, that will be incompatible, and with no word of any development, to fix it, GM starts looking as solid as a dollar store socket set.

If I wanted another project, I would have built something from scratch. I don't need any more projects, just an eBike that does not require a 1 in 400 chance of the software connecting.

Thus endeth the rant.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 10:52:14 PM »
I'd be willing to try every version of this app, including Betas, in the hope of salvaging some of the $ I spent on it.

I have just been doing some tests with a slightly newer phone and have just encountered the write problem which some members have previously mentioned.

Both phones are Samsung Galaxy Core Primes but the older one (SM-G3608) is running Android 4.4.4 and the newer one (SM-G361F) is running Android 5.1.1.

All five versions of the GM App worked on the older phone, but V1.30, V1.31 and V1.32 could not save the parameters to the controller on the newer phone.

I installed the latest GM App (V1.32 from the GM website) onto the newer phone, which is running Android 5.1.1. It connected to the GM Bluetooth dongle and would read all the parameters and live data etc. but it was unable to write to the controller.

I then uninstalled the GM App (V1.32) and installed an earlier version of the GM App (V1.13) and it saved the parameters to the controller correctly.

I then uninstalled the GM App (V1.13) and installed an earlier version of the GM App (V1.1) and it also saves the parameters to the controller correctly.

As the earlier versions of the App are no longer available on the GM website, I have saved copies of them in a Dropbox folder (along with the latest version 1.32) for easy access.

Unfortunately, none of the versions I tried would save the parameters to a file on the phone, as the App simply crashed each time I tried to save.  :(

All five versions of the Android Bluetooth App that I have tried (1.1, 1.13, 1.30, 1.31, and 1.32) can be found in this thread.

I have only tried them on Android 4.4.4 (KitKat) and Android 5.1.1 (Lollipop), so it will be interesting to know which ones work with your phone. (It would be useful to know the make/model of your phone, and also which version of Android.)

Hopefully you will find a version that works better than your existing setup.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:54:24 AM by Bikemad »

Offline OneBadWolf

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 06:16:47 AM »
Thanks for the link, cannot seem to download them. I still do not understand why the manufacturer does not have a library with every version, and change logs.

And no manuals.

Are the drop box files password protected? 2 different browsers, and they will not download.

Offline Asterix

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 08:28:09 AM »
there is no password protection. I am still able to download the files through the link, but I had some dropbox blocking issues last week, so I have put the files again in another public directory:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8lgsy9i70x0hvd9/AACMdsVubj_YIprY_qhyJG3Wa?dl=0

Offline OneBadWolf

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 03:13:43 AM »
That worked! Thank you.

Offline Standartuser

• Confirmed
Hi everybody, I am new here and a proud Owner of the Magig Pie Edge Kit...

Unfortunately I am not so lucky with it. I have the same Problem like Asterix.

I tried to download the older APP versions from the Link, but nothing there...

Is here anybody, that has it still downloaded, so I would like to get it.

Please feel free to send me PN or helping Answers.

Best Regards

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
I tried to download the older APP versions from the Link, but nothing there...

I have attached the files in this thread as Dropbox are still preventing access to the shared folder:

Quote from: Dropbox.com
Traffic limits
Links and file requests are automatically banned if they generate unusually large amounts of traffic.
Dropbox Basic (free) accounts:
20 GB per day: The total amount of traffic that all of your links and file requests combined can generate without getting banned
100,000 downloads per day: The total number of downloads that all of your links combined can generate

Dropbox Plus and Business accounts:
About 200 GB per day: The total amount of traffic that all of your links and file requests combined can generate without getting banned
There's no daily limit to the number of downloads that your links can generate

If your account hits our limit, we'll send a message to the email address registered to your account. Your links will be temporarily disabled, and anyone who tries to access them will see an error page instead of your files.

There is no way that I have exceeded 20GB per day (or 100,000 downloads per day) as I am only sharing ~20MB of files in total, and I haven't even received an email from Dropbox either.  ::)

A quick Google search reveals that I am not alone, as they don't seem to want Dropbox Basic (free) users and are probably doing this to force us into upgrading to a Dropbox Plus or Business account so they can extract money from us.
Unfortunately, I don't agree with these tactics and have no intention of upgrading when they are obviously unable to provide even the basic services that they offer.

I will try and send you the Bluetooth.Apk files via email if I can.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:45:52 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Standartuser

• Confirmed
Hey Alan, thousand Thanks again for your fast Help.... It really works with Version 1.3 with my Galaxy S5

I am very happy  8)