Author Topic: 36V controller LED resistor values...  (Read 8432 times)

Offline Supatrike

• Confirmed
36V controller LED resistor values...
« on: August 27, 2011, 02:09:50 AM »
Does anyone have a 36V thumb controller, that they could open and tell me the resistor values of the two non-SMD resistors?  If you don't know what I mean, could you post a photo similar to this one?  (maybe less blurry)  ;)

THANKS!!!

Offline FalconX

• Confirmed
Re: 36V controller LED resistor values...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 06:40:28 AM »
Supatrike,

You need only the two resistors values? I have several 36V thumbs. I'll open one and get a picture for you. The one you have in the picture is 48V? Do you think that changing those two resistors you can convert it to higher or lower voltages (24 - 36 - 48)?

Offline FalconX

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 07:28:49 AM »
This is the 36V thumb throttle. The values on the photo are measured on the circuit without any power or else connected. Expecting your results.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 07:30:34 AM by FalconX »

Offline Supatrike

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 07:34:36 PM »
Thank you VERY MUCH for this!  I've had such a very hard time trouble shooting my problem.
Unfortunately, my problem just got much more weird.  

My GM 36V battery is only putting out 29V!  which is a problem I reported a while back.  Then, inexplicably, it began putting out 40V, but my thumb throttle still read empty.  So, I thought the problem was the throttle... or that I had gotten a 48V instead of the 36V charger.

I just charged my battery.  The charger led indicator is green, and the charger is putting out about 42V, but the battery is only showing 29V - both at the terminals to the motor and at the terminal for the charger.

Help?  Later today I will take apart my battery and take pictures, then repost the problem.

As always, thanks.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 12:58:34 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Supatrike

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 11:35:56 PM »
Alright, so I have the right controller, the right charger, the right battery.  I think I have finally found my problem - sorta.

I have a 36V battery that is only putting out 29V!!!  I opened it up (since China doesn't return my emails, I figure there's no warranty) and I didn't find anything obviously wrong...  FYI, the charger is putting out 42V and the controller is correctly wired and reading the V from the battery.

HELP???

Here's some pics of the guts.  I tried to take multimeter reading where possible - each section of batteries measured 4.1V and wherever I measured all of them it only came to 29V

Please, if anyone has advice, let me know.  Otherwise I am done with this... Which is a shame because I built a very cool and expensive bike.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 11:49:27 PM »
I have a 36V battery that is only putting out 29V!!! 

Wrong, you have a 24V battery that is putting out 29V!

According to your photos, there are seven groups of four paralleled cells, which makes it's a 24V 16Ah pack.
Each of the seven groups of cells should charge up to 4.2V giving a total of 29.4V (7 x 4.2V) for the pack.

It looks as if you have been sent a 24V battery, not a 36V one.

Can you post some pictures showing the voltages marked on the charger and the battery?

Alan

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 05:55:25 AM »
It would have clearly said it on the Silver GM sticker next to the Anderson socket....

Offline Supatrike

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 04:37:06 PM »
Hi All,

If this is true then... well, then I'm just a little ticked.  I surely hope GM China can remedy this!

Any advice on how I can proceed?

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 05:01:27 PM »
Photograph every sticker you see, the assembly with as many cells as possible.
Include your order confirmation.

Say:
I ordered a 36V12Ah pack.
I was sent a 24V pack in the
Wrong case.
Please send correct battery to: (address)

And email to sales@goldenmotor.com
cc: tom@goldenmotor.com

Offline Supatrike

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 06:37:14 PM »
Thanks e-lmer,

I'm nervous that they won't write back.  I even asked a Chinese friend to type the letter in Chinese for me... so I KNOW they will understand!  So how do I know if my motor is 36v????  it's been working with the 24V battery.  I think I am going to change my user name to supascrewed.  :-)

Bart

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie Battery Voltages
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 08:40:46 PM »
So how do I know if my motor is 36v????  it's been working with the 24V battery.

Bart, all Magic Pie's are multi-voltage capable and can be run on 24, 36 or 48V! The standard factory setting for the Magic Pie's controller is 24V, which allows it to run on any of the above voltages. If the motor voltage setting is altered by using the usb programming interface lead and software, it should only really affect the Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC), which is only required to prevent batteries that do not have their own built in LVC from becoming overdischarged.

The GM batteries have a LVC incorporated into their Battery Management System (BMS). Some users have found that the motor is more powerful if left on the 24V setting when using 36V or 48V batteries. ;)

Alan

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 09:59:43 PM »
I guess the real question comes back to is it
a 1000W, 500W, or 250W motor.

I have only seen the 48VMP, but the motor only wheels
are different diameters for the different power.

Is this true of the Magic Pie hubs too?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Power figures
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 01:49:04 AM »
I guess the real question comes back to is it a 1000W, 500W, or 250W motor?

Elmer, the short answer is all three!

Unlike the HBS motors, the Magic Pie's all have the same width motor ring, magnets and stator assembly, but the stators in the 16" wheels are apparently wound differently to produce a higher rpm, but with reduced torque.

The stated power figures apply equally to all of the Magic Pies, but the exact power figures obtained in use will obviously be dependant upon the battery voltage being used, and the controller's maximum current setting.

My original Mk1 Magic Pie was limited to around 20 Amps max, regardless of the voltage being used.
On a 7 cell 10Ah pack LiPo pack, it would use approximately 570 Watts of power, but on a 14 cell 5Ah pack LiPo pack, it would use nearly 1100 Watts of power.

Since I modified the shunt, it now draws around 60 Amps max. and my highest recorded power consumption figures are 1630 Watts on the 7 cell 10Ah pack, and 3108.2 Watts on the 14 cell 5Ah pack. :o

The recorded power figures would be even higher on 14 cells if I had used a 10Ah pack instead of the 5Ah one, because the extra capacity would also mean that the voltage would sag less under load, and therefore remain higher at the same high current, resulting in more Watts. ;)

Alan