Author Topic: Monkeys bike with 'tassles'  (Read 40803 times)

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Monkeys bike with 'tassles'
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2011, 12:00:55 PM »
Howdy

Hey yeah when I bought the front wheel, I paid for another controller and only the rear controller has ever failed on me once. Both of the controllers are mx-318 I think from memory, I think the 1 before the current version. Anyways they are great on this size wheel !!

There is 2 x 5Ah Turnigy(3s2p) batteries strapped either side of the frame for the accessory batteries haha I should have made a switch to make it series and diverted to the front wheel for emergency 24v power!! Lol nahhh

I found this video of some hills, so I uploaded it on Youtube. I know they are not massive hills but it is still a good demonstration of how it performs I guess.

It was when I was running this build from memory: (single GM battery)

You needed to be very careful of potholes with the old pedal height!!

Youtube Video Link 2:47

The camera I was using there was just one of those keychain cameras, I have a 2ch dvr to record action on the new build now so I should have some better videos soon running the 2 batteries. Not sure how long the oldest one will last now I am not using the BMS..... But its really easy to swap over, or change to whatever so I'm not fussed.

I'll finish it this weekend I guess, no time really tonight I have a pretty bad case of cbf... ;)

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2011, 02:44:34 PM »
So close........ Its all coming together!!

I think I'll tell what's happened the last few nights another time, its funny but long story short I have only a small amount of tinkering the suspense is killing me :D

I'll get the camcorder out once I get it moving, I need to sort out a part of the throttle circuit. I made an adjustable throttle circuit, that goes to a little box for switching the front / rear throttle signal on/off. Anyways I didn't test that part out until now haha just my luck it doesnt work

So I gave up, to be continued tomorrow!!! Its good, everyone seems to be in a building mood lately, I surely am getting a heap done

Just so I could sleep, I tested both wheels again quickly using another wiring harness. Both of my wheels don't beep anymore?? Thats weird. They both go, but no beep.... guh??

Its pretty flashy though :D

I think once I saw it coming together more and more I'm so eager to finish it now. I need to weigh it, it is seriously heavy but it has 2 batteries and cast wheels on a steel frame!!!

There is about 3kg of extra crap other than the batteries. But even with 1 battery, no fairings and 2 cast wheels it was super heavy then. Cant really do much once you add another battery.

Lets wait and see if I get an extra km or 2 from the tyre size difference haha or lose 5 kg from magnetic field interference from the subwoofer lol

Should be sunny tomorrow, hopefully I can get this done and make a video for more detail

It is fairly rediculous that is has gone from this:

To what is is now..... I'm glad its nearly over :D :D

Spot the difference?? lol

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2011, 03:18:28 PM »
So, around 90 pounds?
Looks incredible.
Does the battery get in the way of your legs there?
Did you think about mounting it on it's side?

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2011, 03:37:58 PM »
So, around 90 pounds?
Looks incredible.
Does the battery get in the way of your legs there?
Did you think about mounting it on it's side?

Hey thanks alot, I reckon you are near spot on with 90 pounds (~40kg), I really am not sure if I can lift it and step on the scales will have to figure out another way lol

Before I changed the crank axle, the top battery was noticable when you pedal. After I changed the crank axle to I think 200mm now its perfect and doesnt feel like I was riding a pencil anymore. In actual fact, its really useful to 'hug' with your legs to corner. I have a few switches and a Turnigy plugs into a USB socket on top of the battery casing too where the keyswitch lock pin hole used to be.

I guess also keeping it mounted horizontal, you can bolt it up much easier. My GM rear battery rack did not fit so I cut it and bolted it to the inner frame to mount the battery on top. Plus I would not have clearance of the seat mounted sideways on top, you would need to bolt through the aluminum casing somehow with the batteries in there...

If you think about it, the battery casings are 145mm wide, so they are not too bad as long as your legs arn't especially close together :D

Cheers   :)

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2011, 07:30:09 PM »
Hey monkey, well done, complete at last!

It was worth the effort, it looks fantastic!  ;D

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Weighing the Monkey bike without 'hassles'
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2011, 01:08:19 AM »

I really am not sure if I can lift it and step on the scales will have to figure out another way lol

Here's a very easy solution Monkey: simply weigh one wheel at a time on the scales, and then combine the two readings!

Alan

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2011, 02:32:38 AM »
I agree. Super build.
Can't wait for video.

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2011, 06:32:36 AM »
Hey thanks heaps for the comments and tips guys.
I'll have to try and weigh one wheel at a time, I didn't think that would work! Awesome....

I believe I've located the throttle problem, it might even be the hall sensor inside the casing. I made each wheel work by removing the throttle switch box and connecting a 1K resistor from the front wheel 5v to each of the wheels throttle signal inputs. Both jerked and chirped my new rubber on the garage floor giving me that 'ohhhh so close now' feeling :D

I'll tell my story from the other night. Before I found the throttle problem, I was wiring all of the thick gauge power cabling for the front wheel.

I have ground connected from the wheel looms for the signal purposes. Anyway what felt like tense hours of soldering the thick guage cable, I tested continuity between the connections. Positive... beeeeep no worries, Ground...... No beep...... How could there be a break in 10awg cable???? I traced it down to the GM battery cable connector, I soldered way to high above the connector to remove it myself but the GND was not crimped/soldered inside the connector!!!!! I found this when the ground lead pulled out with ease from about 20cm of lead

Imagine, if I had not tested that continuity, and just wanted to go for a ride - I would have had a clean connection for Positive 48v battery, but the Ground would have been pulling through the GM wiring harness!!!!
I would have ridden with crappy power for god knows how long before I would have smoked the whole loom....

So lucky, that would not have been cool at all! :D

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Monkeys bike with 'tassles' >> Help ??
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2011, 09:50:36 AM »
Hey guys

Down to the nitty gritty of my problem..... I found that by removing what I believe is the ground connection to the throttle hall sensor, applying 5v to the power, I get the same output from the signal

So I think I've   damaged it somehow. Has anyone got any tips of what I have done wrong? I cannot seem to get any fluctuation even using magnets over the throttle

I'm just about to pull it apart which I think it needs.. But could I just use a 4v battery and test a hall sensor from a twist throttle I have? I think I can swap the hall sensor from the twist throttle into my custom thumb one.

I don't want to swap this thumb throttle out because it has the volume controls, kill switch and headlight switch all in the 1 unit!! I thought it was awesome but alas just the throttle part doesnt work, everything is fine :(

Also - I have found that my controllers do not beep when the throttle signal is not connected, but when I press the cruise button twice it beeps!! I assume enabling PAS.... Weird....At least I know the cruise control will work :)

Anyway I have isolated each throttle signal, I know that both wheels work by using a 1K resistor from the front wheel 5v signal. I assume that the twist throttle works similar to the thumb one, would my best bet to just swap the hall sensor from the twist to the thumb casing??

Any tips would be great :D cheers

Edit: >>  Hey does it matter the orientation of the throttle hall sensor inside the casing?

I found that all the connections were correct however, I had a 'flashback' of when I was assembling the throttle, 1 of the pins of the hall sensor broke so I soldered right on the hall sensor. I probably overheated it with the soldering iron...... That's all I can put it down to.

Anyways, I have a new hall sensor wired in there, but not 100% if it works just yet.... Fingers crossed !!!!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 06:22:42 AM by MonkeyMagic »

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Monkeys bike with 'tassles' - Success !!!
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2011, 09:11:58 AM »
It was the hall sensor..... I had to come and post here in my excitement haha I'm very happy I did not have to change the throttle completely! :D

So everything is getting put back together :D I think I'll make up some wire covers with some cutoff of the acrylic if there is enough. Here is a closeup of the throttle, I should have taken pics of the inside I neatened it up a ton in there

I kept 1 led window in the middle for the headlight switch to acknowledge power is there before the relay.

Finding the wires was so easy, I rewired the throttle completely with new wires, and just have to reconnect them back and I'm set!! :D wooo

Probably the best thing I did throughout the build was prepare my wiring, I always had a habit of forgetting cables then having to add them later on making everything less organised. Since I started wiring it up, I've kept an excel spreadsheet of all the wiring connections. All of the main cables are labled and its a sinch to find or add anything I need to now! Made it so easy to connect everything together.

I think Monkey might even sneak in a test ride tonight!!!! I'm pumped :D :D

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2011, 05:23:11 PM »
Okayyy update time :D

Well after such a long time of wondering if this thing would actually go, it was time for a test !

The very first thing I noticed, was the power compared to what it used to be like - it's now extremely touchy on the throttle. I took it for a couple of laps around a few blocks near my house.

So from the complete build here is what has not worked in the end:

-My speedo not working!! Lol hopefully its just the sensor too far away from the magnet
-Regen not working? I'm near certain I tested the switch before I connected but alas, no regen...
-Front brake definitely needs to changed, I'm looking at hydraulic kits now lol
-The chain was so tight it spun off the freewheel!! First I thought I broke it, but now I have to take the rear wheel off again!! So I am buying a 5spd freewheel and putting a derailleur on there to fix this
-It is LOUD, double what it used to sound like.... There are a few foreign things on the bike that could be causing this sound to amplify, I'll make a recording once I get another freewheel on there! haha

Coming off a footpath onto a road at speed, I think the front suspension is bottoming out so I'll see how that goes. It must be the extra weight on the handle bars

I think I'll leave the rear spring at minimum setting, it feels awesome to ride but just maybe a tad bit high but that's because I'm not really used to riding so high I think :)

Overall, none of the parts get in the way and for the small amount thats not working I'm pretty stoked! It is really awesome to ride, but scary without adequate brakes.

Does anyone have any tips for a front hydraulic kit and cheapish?? I assume I just need to remove my caliper and brake lever, and the hydraulic kit is all connected together?

Cheers

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2011, 05:43:55 AM »
Wooo another update time

I've taken some night videos in my initial tests, here are some recent uploads:

Video 2 -->>
(Gauging my voltage drop of the top battery, testing some functions)

These videos were taken in PITCH BLACK about 2am at night lol - the video quality although grainy is still incredible under such low light conditions!!! I have not even tried it in full night mode (B&W) yet, but pretty good results so far

1:56 - 2:11, I tested pedalling this bahemoth - my chain is both loose and I believe a bit out of alignment. You can hear my crank creaking under load. Can pedal around 15km/h with ease, probably not so easy uphill but still manageable. I was surprised at how easy this was considering the weight I am moving.

2:54 - I tested the car horn lol its awesome!!!! Airzound eat your heart out haha

Video 3 -->>

1:34 incremental speed increase - hear the wrath of my dual drive alerting people as I ride lol

3:20 I turned on the stereo (radio) it has some interferance from the DVR system, and also the microphone was turned up a bit too high yielding distortion. Quality is still somewhat noticable, you really need to hear it in person. Also - I am pretty proud of the microphone location, without little to no wind noise what so ever.

Notice throughout the videos, although the sound is very sensitive - there is not any wind distortion!! Woohooz

So last night I went out again, tires at proper PSI. I took my Garmin Dakota 20 with me and MAX speed is 39.0KM/h so it is actually 1km/h SLOWER now with 2 batteries and a bike full of accessories lol

Even the new tires weigh 4 to 6 times more than what I had on there originally.

I am not sure of my overall range as I am in need of repairing the top battery with some more faulty cells evident. I'll try and fix it first before most likely splashing out on a new 48v10Ah battery type.

As the front forks are stock - they will need to be replaced sometime real soon.

To ride this bike safely, and comfortably without wanting to complain I will need the following:

1. New battery to replace the top one
2. Front forks (probably Manitou or something)
3. Add a derailleur or fix the alignment of the chain so there is no noise/stress
4. Front + rear hydrualic brakes a must !!! I am barely stopping with 203mm rotor on front mechanical + regen I still had to put my foot down at times to completely stop this mammoth!!!
5. Need a stand to cope with all of this haha

With the tires now at the correct pressure, the ride is amazing - you just want to fix the above and it will be a fantastic bike with centralised weight, handling and the extra accessories make it even more fun to ride

Pretty pleased considering the above so far. I have the bike charging now, hoping to get some daytime video later on tonight.

Maybe take it back off road tomorrow, and try and fix this battery before working out what I'll do with the rest.

Monkey out !

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2011, 09:56:59 AM »
Looks like a blast Monkey! How about a "walk around" video of your bike and all the featrues.

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2011, 02:35:32 PM »
Looks like a blast Monkey! How about a "walk around" video of your bike and all the featrues.

Gary

Hey thanks - and good idea, I have my video camera pretty well sorted so I'll get around to doing that soon   ;)

I've been meaning to redo this PC and I'm well overdue for a new one, but I want to edit my videos so they are somewhat decent looking rather than bland plain uploads. What software do you use for your GM Canada vids?

Disappointed about the battery, and more so about the need for new front forks and hydraulic brakes that's another $1000 more all less all up! Would be better than a store bought setup anyways, plus I need the rest of the frame steel

I also still have not tested my "defensive" water jet that squirts out the handlebar lol so that will be good to include in the video

I'll get that walkaround and some daytime video while I source some parts.... :D

Cheers

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2011, 10:45:47 PM »
I just went all through this thread again and it really is an amazing thing you have built here! When I showed my son were counting the screens looking at the cameras the lights etc. When I showed him the defensive squirting handle bars he couldn't believe it.

I think you need more then a "walk around" video. I think you need a "building of" video showing all your pictures and a narated soundtrack with a spokes person describing the build and the final results. Hows your Morgan Freeman imitation :)

Gary