Author Topic: Connecting the Magic Pie 3 controller to the controller Program via usb problem  (Read 6402 times)

Offline MagicJacob

• Confirmed
Hello again :)
I would like to know that I am doing everything right.

My windows is 7 64bit.
I have downloaded the controller Program form goldenmotor.com "eBike DIY" page, file name is PD_282_speed

I have installed the program.
I unplugged the controller from the battery and concerted it  to the usb cable and then to the PC
my pc found the driver without any problems(named it as USB device).

Next I activated "MP Programming.exe"

the thing is the program doesn't react in any way to the controller, in all the pictures and youtube videos I saw a red description(of the status) in the lower part of the program , In my program I see nothing.
I tried press the connect in the program but nothing happened, no red status.

I tried activating the program as an admin, I set a comparability mode for it(win xp service pack 3) but nothing helps.

What am I doing wrong?

I correctly have problem with the controller(it stops the wheel from spinning when I connect it to the battery) and maybe it is related I just want to make sure I am connecting the controller to the program in  the right way.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
It sounds like you are doing it correctly. From my experience I feel confident saying the following.

Read these statements carefully as they are different.

1- I have never successfully used the USB cable and had it connect to a failed controller. That being said I should also mention I have not tried connecting with every failed controller I tested.

2- I have been unsuccessful at using the USB and having it connect to a good controller. The vast majority of the time it connects without issue.

So from that you can not judge if the controller us failed just because you can't connect.

You stated the battery is unplugged when testing. That is correct. The most common mistake people make is trying to connect when the controller is powered.

When you supply power to the controller and the wheel locks up in most cases it is the controller that is failed.

Gary

Offline MagicJacob

• Confirmed
Thank you very much for the information, it really helps.

"When you supply power to the controller and the wheel locks up in most cases it is the controller that is failed."

Could you explain why is that?

Basically all my problem is described here
http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=5182.0

By the way , is it possible to damage the motor itself(and the hall sensor in it)?

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Thank you very much for the information, it really helps.

"When you supply power to the controller and the wheel locks up in most cases it is the controller that is failed."

Could you explain why is that?

No, sorry I'm no expert. Only a trial and error type guy. If changing the controller works for me "yay". Why, I don't know...

Basically all my problem is described here
http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=5182.0

By the way , is it possible to damage the motor itself(and the hall sensor in it)?

Possible I guess, but unlikely. I have found through experience that any short of the 5 volt wires no matter how slight kills the controller instantly. I think this May gave been what happened in your case.

Gary

Offline MagicJacob

• Confirmed
I really appreciate  all the info, especially because it is based on experience.
Going to get me a new controller soon.

Offline Bwizz

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
I can adjust my mp3  with the usb cable but I don't get any now connected icon ,or anything to give me a clue that it is connected.

Offline Marsbar

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
In my case it was the programming cable. Maybe you can borrow someones cable?

Offline Bwizz

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
As my cable seems to work , not  really a big issue! It just adds to my other niggles on the mp3 , No one around here "Cornwall UK", with one to try