Author Topic: Question concerning goldenmotor 28" rim, price without it?  (Read 4975 times)

Offline Julez

Question concerning goldenmotor 28" rim, price without it?
« on: August 14, 2008, 05:46:59 PM »
Hi guys!

I am thinking about building an eBike later this year, and I want to use the goldenmotor.
I have read some negative things about the rims provided, so I think it is better to order just the motor and let a local bike dealer lace it into a quality rim. Are the spokes that need to be used standard ones?
I don't know much about spokes, how is the length graduation?

Do you know the price for just a motor without anything else?. I plan to use another controller, too.

Thanks in davance,

Julian

Offline ahend

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Question concerning goldenmotor 28" rim, price without it?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 07:27:31 PM »
Check with your local bike shop mechanic regarding the spokes. They will most likely have to cut some down and run a die over the end to establish new threads. This is what I had done when I found a broken spoke.

My spokes are 0.101" (2.57mm) in diameter, this is probably a 12ga. (British/U.S.). There are 36 in total.

The late Sheldon Brown put out some very good information regarding spokes and wheel building here. The link include some spoke length calculators based on your wheel and hub size.

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Question concerning goldenmotor 28" rim, price without it?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 09:57:39 PM »
The spokes are not very standard I was told by the local bike shop like a 13 gauge and not a standard length.  Still when I measure them they were the same as the 12 gauge I put on the front rim. Spoke threads are rolled not cut.  Cutting will reduce the strength of the spoke as per the Sheldon article spoken of in an earlier post but sometimes we do what we must to stay on the road.  The spokes, supplied in the GM kit, can be removed from the rim and re-used without problems.  They do stretch quite a bit so see you check them often for the first few hundred miles after that they will be fine. I prefer the 12 gauge stainless but they are hard to come by in some lengths. A decent double walled rim is advised if you want them to stay straight and be low maintenance. The link Ahend gives is to a very good article and the one I used to build my first wheel. I found a motor only on the endless sphere forum a week or so back.  A few motors are sold with just the wheel but from my experience they are mostly with the kits.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 12:54:58 AM by biohazardman »