Author Topic: 1000 mile test  (Read 5216 times)

Offline shakkan

• Confirmed
1000 mile test
« on: April 18, 2009, 09:37:49 AM »
hi all, just completed 1000 miles on my golden motor ebike .I’ve had two standard controllers as the first burnt out when first connected. I’m still running on the original rim, spokes and tyre!!. I’ve never had a problem with the tyre in the wet so never needed to change it. I used sla batteries to begin with but the handling on the bike was to heavy so ordered a ping LIFE04 from china. The 36v 16amp battery totally changed the bike, lighter, better control, easier braking and 25miles to a charge. Top speed without peddling is 22 mph.I live on the west coast of the uk and it can be very windy. On one ride in winter the wind was about approx 40 mph and I maintained 14 mph(with peddling) in to wind, on the return trip I was doing 29 mph!.
I use a trailer a lot to transport my rc electric planes to my flying field, which is 5 miles with moderate hills and it takes me 17 minuets.
Very few bikes overtake me and never a ebike
all in all, golden motor has proved to be a good investment. I look forward to another summer of hassle free rides.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 09:41:46 AM by shakkan »

Offline Helgeo

• Confirmed
  • Norwegian eBiker
Re: 1000 mile test
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 09:13:25 PM »
Great story Shakkan,
I have had my mini-motor (250W 36V) powered eBike running for about a month now. I ride it to work a couple of times per week. I have about 18 km each way, takes me around 40-45 minutes with moderate pedalling. Very happy with it  ;D

I too fly RC-planes, they are really very closely related to eBikes. I use an Eagle Tree data logger originally intended for RC-planes on my bike. It can be fitted with an optional display that will show all kinds of useful information like current draw, voltage and accumulated mAh. I like the idea of bringing the planes on a trailer behind the bike.

Cheers,
Helge from Norway

Offline shakkan

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 10:06:32 PM »
hi helge, had a quick look at the tree data logger and it looks good.Can you tell me more about it- the display unit and the information that you can download-how usfull,is it better that a wattmeter(rc type).have you used it on your planes and did you find anything interesting whilst in flight.designing a blohm&vos 215 for pusher prop at the moment- http://www.luft46.com/bv/bvp215.html -nearly finnished. do you find your 250 w motor is powerfull enoth

Offline Helgeo

• Confirmed
  • Norwegian eBiker
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 07:20:17 AM »
Hi,
The logger is really nice, it can be fitted with all kinds of extra sensors for measuring rpm, air speed, altitude, temperature etc. They even have a GPS for it. I like to use it to find out how the planes perform in flight, some of the hotter set-ups will behave very different in flight compared to static tests. After the flight (or ebike ride) you can transfer all the data to a PC for graphing. With the optional display it does everything the Watts Up meter does + all of the above. So it is a great tool.

That Blohm&Vos model looks mean, I had never seen that plane before.

I find the 250W powerful enough for my use, I do not have too many steep hills between home and work so it performs quite well. I do have to pedal a lot, but I do not mind getting some exercise :) I believe the 250W motor is 250W @24V and that it will be closer to 400W on 36V. It seems to be the same motor.

Offline gunner

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 04:26:32 PM »
Helgeo

Just send you a PM