Author Topic: I chewed up my wires.  (Read 5972 times)

Offline Todd75

• Confirmed
I chewed up my wires.
« on: September 17, 2014, 05:26:47 PM »
 Yes.....I did. My fault, I should have put more thought into securing them to the forks. The tire chewed away the black covering and into the bundle of 8 wires, down to metal on a few. I didn't know this until turning the bars all the way left, causing contact with the rim. The resulting light and smoke show was the first indication that there was a problem. The power lights on thumb throttle went out, but I still had power. Now, after soldering all 8 wires, the power lights still do not function, but it has power. I mean the throttle works, just no lights. I still need to test drive it, but I think everything else works. Is there a fuse in the throttle housing or somewhere else. The unit in question is a Smart Pie 4  48v. Any help or thoughts greatly appreciated.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: I chewed up my wires.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 10:13:40 PM »
Unfortunately there is no fuse to blow, I suspect that the thin wire supplying battery voltage to the LED battery gauge in the throttle unit has been shorted to ground causing the wire to melt (just like a fuse).

The wire itself will have "fused" somewhere between the chaffed wires and the connection inside the large moulded rubber junction block on the motor harness, but if you're not running LED lights and can live without the battery gauge LEDs then don't worry.

If you really need to have the LEDs working again you will either need to cut open the wire until you can find and repair the break or take the more expensive option of fitting a replacement controller which comes complete with all the wiring that has been damaged.

Alan

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:20:31 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Todd75

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 12:01:20 AM »
Hi Alan.  I will miss the gauge, but I have a pretty good idea by now of the "power curve" .  Thanks !!

Offline Todd75

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 02:39:38 AM »
   Hi Alan....This turned into a real self-induced nightmare. There was a repair of the damaged area that lasted a while then more shorts and smoke. I ended up replacing the controller (to get new wires), throttle, cruise switch, and the other wire harness. Yikes. After the last short out the motor was somehow in reverse. After replacing throttle and small upper wire harness and then testing...still in reverse. We tried to hook it up to the computer to reset but even with Garys' video help, it wouldn't communicate. We have two Smart Pie 4 same thing with both........ ?controller usb drivers can't be found on one vista  computer and  on my win 7  it won't communicate , controller may be faulty I don't know , now it don't say time out , just jibberish..........(computer guys input)  As always Alan ..any thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks Todd.

Offline Todd75

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 02:45:39 AM »
Hi one more thing there was no specific download for Smart Pie 4 so we used the Magic Pie 4 download. I saw the Smart Pie 2&3 download but scientisty friend says Magic Pie 4 and Smart Pie 4 were more closely related .

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 12:12:41 PM »
Hi Todd,

Reverse is usually enabled in the software by default, but it should not engage unless a reverse switch has been fitted and it has been manually switched on.

If your new controller harness doesn't have a pedelec and reverse connector pre fitted, make sure that none of the four wires inside the unfinished cable are touching each other.
Reverse is manually selected by shorting the black and blue wires together using a switch, if the insulation on the wires has shrunk back a bit, it is possible that these two wires could be touching inside the heatshrink tubing used to cover the exposed wires.

On the earlier Magic Pies and Smart Pies the reverse wire was also used for programming the controller, this prevented the controller from being programmed if reverse was switched on.
I think the MP4 and SP4 controller uses separate wires for programming, in which case this shouldn't be causing the communication problem you are having with the programming software.

If you are unable to change the direction of the motor (and you are not using a front disc brake) you could simply turn the wheel around so the wires exit on the Left hand side so that it would then be spinning in the right direction.

The Smart Pie 4 and the Magic Pie 4 both use the same software.

The VEC Controller Programming Software and the USB Driver are the correct ones to use with the MP4 and SP4 vector controllers.

Alan

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 09:14:33 AM by spellchecker »