Author Topic: GM and Lithium Batteries from Yardworks- Canadian Tire  (Read 8254 times)

Offline vince_t1

GM and Lithium Batteries from Yardworks- Canadian Tire
« on: June 22, 2008, 02:40:48 PM »

Have read a lot of the posts, good information.

I have a 500W front kit from GM and it is powered  by two 20V 6 ah batteries purchased from Canadian Tire for 129.99 each and 39.99 for a charger. Charging takes about 4 hours per battery. These batteries come with a one year warranty and an over the counter exchange policy. I could find no technical info about the batteries but they work!

The batteries weight 2.6 pounds each and are 4 by 2.5 by 2.75, very compact.

So far there seems to be no issue with the 40 volts on the controller as expected based on other posts.

Speed usually in the 25-32 Kph, range is 17-19 KM with mild peddling. I only put this thing together last weekend and have ridden just over 60KM.

The Kit was easy to install expect the tire is not fully round and the tube was replaced because I have no idea how to fill the tire with the strange nipple.

Total Cost to build, 360.00 for the kit, 99.99 for bike, 299.00 for batteries and charger, 10 for various electrical connections, tie wrap and such.

Thus under 800 and it provides cheap transportation.

Calgary Alberta

Offline ahend

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: GM and Lithium Batteries from Yardworks- Canadian Tire
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 05:55:47 PM »
Batteries sound interesting. A search at Canadian Tire turned up the Yardworks Lithium-ion battery pack and charger. There are a couple topics over at Endless Sphere with more info (20volt 6ah lithium packs from CT..yardworks $129here is some info on 20v yardworks lithium ion) , nothing conclusive.

Is this the one?

If these are your batteries, how did you interface the pack's connector to wire them up?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 06:12:02 PM by ahend »

Offline vince_t1

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 10:35:51 PM »
Batteries sound interesting. A search at Canadian Tire turned up the Yardworks Lithium-ion battery pack and charger. There are a couple topics over at Endless Sphere with more info (20volt 6ah lithium packs from CT..yardworks $129here is some info on 20v yardworks lithium ion) , nothing conclusive.

Is this the one?

If these are your batteries, how did you interface the pack's connector to wire them up?

Yes that is the battery. I really didn't do any interfacing, just a couple spade connectors onto the battery terminals of the controller. I merely used two batteries in series again with a jumper between them.

Vince

Offline Grunchy

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 11:20:54 PM »
Hey another Calgarian!  Not surprising, considering the thousand-odd kilometres of bike trails we have here.   ;D

Those batteries look like a rugged, lightweight solution.  That seems a bit light on the battery capacity but you can't argue with those results.  5.2 lbs for 40V battery pack, that's an easy payload to haul around.