Author Topic: Problem with HPM3000 - torque control vs. rpm regulation  (Read 3284 times)

Offline Ttr

• Confirmed
Problem with HPM3000 - torque control vs. rpm regulation
« on: September 21, 2018, 11:00:04 AM »
Hi @all,
we use a HPM3000 to drive a treadmill and we are having problems with the torque control.
We have a translation of 1:8, thus still in the low rpm-range the threadmill keeps stopping.
The motor keeps up the torgue but rpm goes down.
Is there any way to set the controler  to rpm-regulation in order to keep constant rpm?
Power should not be the problem with 3kW, or?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Problem with HPM3000 - torque control vs. rpm regulation
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 08:05:41 AM »
Hi andto the forum.

As you haven't mentioned which controller (or battery) you are using it is difficult to know, but I'm guessing that you are using a 48V HPC300H or VEC-200.

If it's a VEC-200, then this might be relevant:
With the old vec200 if you turn the throttle without load you cannot control the speed of the Motor .
Now with the new one it is possible to Control the Motor without load .

I don't think the torque control can be changed to speed control, and I'm not sure if adjusting some of the parameters in the controller would improve the operation of the motor, but it might be worth a bit of trial and error to see if any of the settings makes a difference (if you haven't already done so).

It might be possible to add some form of speed sensor to the rollers (or the motor) that could control the throttle to maintain a constant speed regardless of the load, but I don't know what is commercially available that would accomplish it.

It might be something that a Cycle Analyst is capable of, but you would need to send an email to info@ebikes.ca and ask.

The only other option would be to change the controller for a speed control type.

I don't know whether the BAC-0501 controller would be compatible with the HPM3000 motor:

It might be worth contacting GM China to ask their advice (sales@goldenmotor.com).

Alan