Author Topic: Problems with USB programing of VEC 300  (Read 15283 times)

Offline Elle_Man

• Confirmed
Problems with USB programing of VEC 300
« on: May 20, 2014, 11:01:59 AM »
Hello,
well I have to start here it seems.

I recently ordered two HPM5000B and two VEC300 controllers from goldenmotors.com.

When I plug everything in and turn the throttle (a 1MOhm potentiometer wired as the schematics) nothing happens until the throttle is at about 3/4, then the motor spins up quite fast to a permanent RPM (not adjustable with the throttle), and if I keep turning the throttle to full the motor turns off. Is this the default factory settings of the controller?

When I try to plug in any of the VEC300 controllers with your USB cable the computer (have tried at least 3-4 different ones) the PI-800 software is not able to recognize it, and windows says that the drivers weren't successfully installed.

I assume that it's the usb cable that needs a driver, the cable looks like the attached picture and so does the controller, so it's not the one you see on the picture when you buy it....

What should I do? I get the exact same result with both motors and controllers.

Please answer ASAP, the system is to be used in a school project which is due on thursday.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Problems with USB programing of VEC 300
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 02:21:12 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

As this is the first post concerning the VEC300 I think you may need to contact David at GM China (wyh@goldenmotor.com) regarding your USB problem. It might also help if you tell him which operating system you are using on the PC. ;)

Regarding the unusual throttle operation, I would try a 10k potentiometer as this is a typical value that is commonly used in resistive throttles. I suspect that the high resistance of the 1 Meg potentiometer is too large to allow sufficient voltage to reach the controller throughout the majority of its rotational movement.

GM typically use Hall sensor type throttles with the majority of their controllers, but I found that a 10k potentiometer works fine on the smaller hub motor controllers.

Please let us know how you get on.

Alan

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 01:02:03 AM »
Elle_Man, Any chance you could give us an update on this problem?

I have recently been studying the PI-800 software and it looks like some of the settings will cause the cutting out at full throttle if you're using a potentiometer instead of a hall sensor throttle.

The "Throttle maximum allowed voltage" setting will be set somewhere between 3.8v and 4.8V as the hall sensor throttle has a maximum output signal voltage of ~4.5V. Unfortunately, the potentiometer's output will be as high as 5V (the +5V supply's full regulated output).

Therefore, turning the potentiometer to maximum would send a throttle signal voltage of ~5V to the controller, which is above the "Throttle maximum allowed voltage" setting.  The controller would interpret the high signal voltage as a throttle fault and would respond by instantly shutting down the motor.

This important safety feature prevents full power from automatically being supplied to the motor if the ground lead on the throttle sensor brakes internally or somehow becomes disconnected.

I am now reasonably confident that the 1 MOhm potentiometer was the sole cause of the unusual throttle symptoms that you described in your last post.
I suspect that a 10K potentiometer would have given a much better throttle response throughout the majority of its travel, but it should still have cut the throttle before reaching it's maximum travel position.
It would be interesting to know if this was actually the case. ;)

Also, Was David was able to sort the problem with the driver installation for the USB lead so that you could access to the various controller parameter settings?

Anyway, I really hope you were able to get things working properly in time for your project deadline.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:44:09 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Morhon

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 07:14:51 PM »
Hello to everyone,
I am new in this forum and have the same problem with Elle_Man. I recently buy a VEC 500 controller , a foot throttle and FOC controller programming kit (usb cable) , the 10 kW brushless motor is on the way. I try to program the controller using PI-800 software and the usb cable but windows7 could'nt find the driver. I send a mail to golden motor and waiting a reply. Elle_Man did you solve the problem?

Offline Sysimbrium

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 11:51:25 AM »
Hi All!

Or maybe you trying wrong step for programming procedure.
This image show you, what order need to do for PI-800 software appropriate use. (After you plug USB cable to controller and PC.)

If need driver (USB2.0-serial) for USB cable: install this driver.

I hope I could help someone!
-----------
Sysimbrium
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 10:30:05 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Rayhaque

• Confirmed
    • My Zap Urbee Sightseeing Thing Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 01:29:49 AM »
Just wanted to say thanks for help Sysimbrium. Several years later, and this post has been read 3200+ times.

I just got my Golden Motor and controller hooked up today and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the USB connection wouldn't let me pull controller settings. It turns out I wasn't pressing the "connect button" which looked more like an icon to me. Thanks to your picture, I learned that there is something to click there. :-)

I assumed my problems were the USB driver, my Windows 10 OS, etc.