Author Topic: Watts Up Meter Installation at Magic 3  (Read 7319 times)

Offline Nelson Mathias

• Confirmed
Watts Up Meter Installation at Magic 3
« on: April 11, 2012, 01:00:48 AM »
Hello friends, I bought a Watts Up - RC Watt Meter & Power Analyzer Version 2 WU 100. Does anyone know how to install the Magic Pie 3.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001B6N2WK/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1334104835&sr=8-1
Thanks

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Watts Up Meter Installation at Magic 3
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 03:13:54 PM »

Hi Nelson,

The Watts Up meter is very similar to the Turnigy Watt Meter, so the installation should be just the same.

Check out this topic regarding the fitting of the Turnigy Watt Meter which connects into the main battery cable.

Alan

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 01:48:32 AM »
The Watts Up meter must be connected directly into the main battery cable as shown in the attachment below, and it is important to have secure and well insulated connections that are capable of carrying at least 40Amps. I soldered my connections and used heat shrink tubing to provide good insulation.

If you need to extend the wires, you must use heavy duty cable to carry the high current to the motor with minimal voltage drop along its length.
I placed my meter at the rear of the bike close to the battery to keep the wiring as short as possible:

Alan

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:52:42 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Nelson Mathias

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 12:46:40 PM »
Thank you so much for taking your time to share these precious tips!
I apologise thia forum for such a simple question!
Nelson Mathias

Offline Nelson Mathias

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 02:09:25 PM »
Dear Alan, I did not look any application of fuse in Magic Pie III.
I'll be installing a Watts Up
In that section to install an external safety fuse to protect co controller? (+) Battery for (+) source Watts up or (+) to the motor cable (+) load Watts Up?
Fuse or circuit breaker?
How many amps fuse capability of the fuse (Magic Pie III - 36V 10AH Battery Frog?

thank you very much

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Fuse or Circuit Breaker?
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 02:21:24 AM »
Sorry for the slow response Nelson, with everything else that's been happening recently I seem to have overlooked this post.

I suggest you use a 35 or 40Amp fuse to be on the safe side. If you decide to use the mini blade type, you would need to use a pair of fuse holders wired in parallel, each fitted with a 20Amp fuse to provide 40Amp capacity as shown in this diagram:

Fuses are pretty small, cheap, lightweight and guaranteed to blow if a short circuit fault occurs, so you could keep a few spares and carry them with you just in case.

Circuit breakers are much larger, heavier and more expensive too, but they do have the advantage of being quick and easy to reset after they have been tripped.

The majority of Miniature Circuit Breakers (MCB) are intended for mains AC voltages of up to 415V AC, but some manufacturers also give a voltage rating of 48V DC for the same item.

I have previously looked into the possibility of using a Mains MCB and was surprised to discover exactly how much current is required to activate them.

There are 3 MCB types, Type B, Type C and Type D, and the speed at which they trip depends upon the level of overload, and is usually determined by a thermal device within the MCB.

All 3 MCB types use a magnetic fault protection, which trips the MCB within one tenth of a second when the overload reaches a set level.

Type B trips between 3 and 5 time full load current;
Type C trips between 5 and 10 times full load current; and
Type D trips between 10 and 20 times full load current.

If you decided to use a circuit breaker, a 20Amp Domestic type B MCB would require 60 to 100Amps to trip it, and the 20Amp continuous rating should be ideal for a Magic Pie.

Click for more details.

Alan

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:21:44 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Nelson Mathias

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 02:44:08 PM »
Alan, perfect!
Thank you, you are very fast and accurate responses.
One more question: if I use a 20Ah electric breaker, I have to use one or two units. Or is it the electric two-pole breaker.

Again, thank you.
Nelson Mathias

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Watts Up Meter Installation
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 01:19:56 AM »
Just one single pole B20 20Amp MCB is wired into the positive battery wire as shown here:

Make sure it is also rated for 48V DC.

Alan

Offline Nelson Mathias

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 02:24:10 AM »
Professor Alan,
My battery is the Frog 36V - 10Ah.
That's the problem?
I liked it, many people became interested in the topic.
Thanks

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Circuit breaker 48V rating
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 02:56:31 AM »

I don't understand why your 36V 10Ah frog battery should be a problem. The 48V DC rating on the MCB refers to its maximum short circuit breaking capacity, so it should work fine with your 36V battery.

Alan