Author Topic: a couple more quick newbie questions  (Read 15033 times)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: a couple more quick newbie questions
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 12:58:25 AM »
what would be the widest tyre you could fit to the 26" MP rim?

I have a 26 x 2.35 tyre fitted to the standard GM rim which is 61.5mm wide and it fits nicely, but you could have a problem with this width of tyre if you have mudguards fitted. The width of the frame where the tyre fits inside could be a limiting factor too.

On my bike, I find that the standard "V" brakes are more than adequate on the rear, considering they are in addition to the regenerative braking from the motor. I mainly use just my front brake since fitting the Magic Pie, because the regen is very powerful and the rear wheel can lock lock up very easily if I use both on a poor road surface. The regen on its own tends to works similar to anti lock braking on a car as it does not allow the wheel to completely lock up. Even if the tyre starts to skid on a slippery surface, the wheel will still continue to turn slowly, giving it a much better chance of finding grip again. This is particularly noticeable when braking on wet grass at speed! ;)

A disc brake fitted on the front wheel would give better braking, but you would probably need to replace the front wheel for one with a hub that is suitable for bolting a brake disc onto.

Alan

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 04:33:23 AM »
I have a Infineon controller and can’t adjust the regen, which should be more powerful to be considered as a brake. I have thoughts about to have the bike registered as a moped to make it legal and therefore must fit some brake anyway. It would be a disaster to lose the driving license on unlawful driving a bike.

In practice, you could fit any width tyre to any rim but it could be problems. Attached is a table which proves me wrong in this case. It is from the European Tire and Rim Technical Organization (ETRTO) Standards Manual – 2007 remember it's the inner width.

Peter

« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 11:23:18 AM by Bikemad »
Midsummer sun = up 02:54   down 22:51   angle 51,0° :)
Midwinter sun =    up 09:19   down14:18   angle 4,2° :(
Mean annual temperature = 3,1°C

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 06:56:36 AM »
cheers for all the info, i've just ordered some 26 x 2.35 schwal be big apple tyres which will fit my current rims and the MP rim  8)

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 10:31:47 AM »
Big Apple Pie hey..... mmmmmm yummy! ;)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 04:57:08 PM »
Big Apple Pie hey..... mmmmmm yummy! ;)

Arhh, you must be the forum comedian  ;D ;D  ;)      the tyres arrived today, i'm surprised the tread isn't any deeper on them, but they are nice plump apples all the same  ;D

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 03:38:40 AM »
No pun intended ;)

I like those tires, I couldn't find them so I opted for Tioga Powerblocks which are only good for straight lines at speed haha I found out that the hard way.... ouch