Author Topic: Yearly Maintenance  (Read 5457 times)

Offline Jgarizona

• Confirmed
Yearly Maintenance
« on: August 26, 2010, 10:25:19 PM »
I have been running a Golden Motor Pie for about 2 years.  Have not done much other then swap out Batteries.  My current huffy is falling apart.  So I plan to move the pie to a new "craigslist" special.  Since I am pulling everything apart I figured I should take the pie apart too and do some clean up and lube.

Can someone tell me what types of service I should preform on my pie?  I want to make sure I am not 10 miles from home when my pie breaks.  I was thinking clean, lube and replace gears.  I have been looking and there is nothing listed under eMaintenance.

Pictures on the correct way to take it apart, what the insides should look like, how to put it back together and what kind of cleaner / lube to use would be a great thing to know.

Thanks,
JG
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:29:54 PM by jgarizona »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 12:56:36 AM »
I have been running a Golden Motor Pie for about 2 years.

I was thinking clean, lube and replace gears.

HI JG andto the forum.

I'm a little puzzled as to which motor you have, because if you've had it two years it can't be a Magic Pie, as they only started selling them last October, which is only just over ten months ago.

These are GM's three main types of brushless motors which are generally used for ebike conversions:

Magic Pie                                           HBS                                     Geared Mini Motor

The Magic Pies and the HBS series are direct drive, and do not have any internal gears, therefore the only moving parts that could possibly wear, are the actual wheel/hub bearings on either side of the axle.
As these bearings are pre packed with grease, and have rubber seals on both sides to keep the grease in and the dirt and water out, you should not need to touch them unless the bearings are badly worn and have excessive play or they have been damaged and are noisy.

The sealed bearing can be clearly seen on the axle of this Magic Pie:

As far as regular maintenance is concerned, you should:
  • Check the tightness of your axle nuts.
  • Check the tension of the spokes to see if any of them have worked loose with use (and tighten any loose spokes that you find).
  • Check tyre condition and pressures.
  • Check and lubricate brake and gear linkages and cables, make sure your brakes blocks/pads are not too worn and that they are correctly adjusted.
  • Check all electrical cables for signs of damage, keep the connectors clean and make sure all wires are still properly secured out of harms way.
  • Always charge your battery up as soon as possible after use, and don't allow it run low when it's not being used for long periods.

These checks may seem a bit obvious, but that doesn't mean they're obvious to everyone. ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 07:39:33 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Yearly Maintenance
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 02:54:34 AM »
Good maintenance for the pack is to leave on the charger for a few days without discharging it to allow the cells to balance.

May even be good to do as a monthly maintenance.

Bring it on