Author Topic: Warning to the forum modderators.  (Read 4144 times)

Offline Jazzjerry

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Carpe Noctum
    • Beeldhout
Warning to the forum modderators.
« on: January 14, 2010, 09:42:10 PM »
I would like to warn the Forum modderators for a massive amount of fake (bot) members.

When you look at the members you will find thousends litteraly 1000's of them already signed up as numbers or faked names. These bots and fake members can kill this forum within 10 minutes when the bot owner releases a script to start spamming and writing commercial ads guiding you to bad places on the web to buy their illegal and fake products. If this would happen, All the bots/fake members writing at once, This forum will be destroyed.

Hopefully you will take out the fake members and select members on their input and time in the forum and keep them.

There is an option of installing a Captcha function in this simple machines forum, so when you sign up for the forum you have to proof you are a human by copying some hard to read letters and numbers in an input field.. This will keep most of these bots out.

I own 2 forums myself and also use simmple machine.......

Look at www.naafmotor.nl
and www.carvingtoolshop.eu/forum

So if you need any help feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Jeroen Compagne
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 09:44:12 PM by Jazzjerry »
. _   _   __  __  ___  ____  ____  _     _   ____  ____
 ( )_( ) (  ) (  )(  _ \ (  _ \ (  _  )(  \/\/ ) ( ___) (  _ \
  ) _ (   )(__)(  ) _<  )___/ )(_)(  )      (   )__)   )    /
 (_) (_)(_____)(__ / (__)  (____)(__/\__)(____)(_)\_)

Offline Mabman

• Confirmed
Re: Warning to the forum modderators.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 03:40:47 AM »
Jazz Jerry is right about this and it should be attended to right away or else the forum will eventually fail because of the bots. This would be too bad because there is some worthwhile information being traded here for those that are interested in the Golden Motor products and it is a better place than discussing it on other forums such as endless sphere.

On another note JJ I went to your website and enjoyed the carving that you do. I grew up around chainsaws here but never had any artistic effects with it, only to cut down trees and sell them I am afraid. I know some good carvers though and here is a pic of a blue heron that a friend made for me a long time ago out of a swamp cedar but. The picture is not very detailed and I apologize but it is the only one that I have on my laptop I guess.

I live in the Pacific North West and I have seen many totems and also some very BIG trees that it would take you quite a few tanks of petrol to carve!

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Warning to the forum modderators.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 04:19:01 AM »
Ive already tried to advise a mod script to negate the spam bots registering.

Usually they deliver the payload right after they pass captcha

http://www.johnmwillis.com/other/top-10-worst-captchas/

Captcha's can be really annoying though.

On two commercial sites I administrate I use PHPBB and a script that asks the new to be member a very simple question and the answer is delivered by an animated gif.  Its so simple a child could register but in 2 years have never had a spam bot crack it.  Fail bot register attempts equate 4845 on one site and the forum has been clean since. I even forgot about it for two years and the forum is still holding its own.

Bring it on