Author Topic: BAC-601 Bracket Broken/ Battery Indicator Green Light OFF And Then Comes On  (Read 4112 times)

Offline OldManTomahawk

• Confirmed
Has anyone had to order a replacement bracket for the BAC-601 mine has broken on both sides where it fit over the handle bars.  The battery indicator light (not the BAC601) that has Green/Yellow/Red leds has a short or something as the green light is off when the battery is fully charged and then after riding for sometime it comes on.  How would I trouble shoot the problem? OH! ran the battery for 30 miles and still showed 57.8 volts then ran charger and rechecked, still the same 57.8 volts?? Thanks, Tom  (Have not been on the forum for ages as the set up has been working flawlessly.)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
I don't know whether the mounting brackets are available separately, but I have seen at least two different types and I don't know if they are interchangeable.

Do you have the early style bracket as shown at the top of the following picture?

I didn't use my original bracket as it was not compatible with my handlebars. I ended up making a simple metal bracket that just clamped into the slot in the main handlebar clamp on the front of the gooseneck.

Here are the details of the bracket that I made:

I see no reason why this basic bracket couldn't be altered to cater for different attachment points on the bike.

And this is what it looks like when fitted:

Alan

Offline OldManTomahawk

• Confirmed
Hey Allen!  I have the old one piece style.  I have it on a TerraTrike Sportster.  Had something happen today that has never happen before. First I got a Error code 9 which went away when I turned off the key and pushed the battery to the rear against the stop.  Then about 30 miles later I got a Error code 8, which made no sense to me.  Tried turning off and on, which cleared the error message, but when I used the thumb throttle it came back on.  (I both instances 9 and 8 I went from a full battery showing to a 1 mark showing.)  Forgot to push the battery back against the stop and rode home 12+ miles the hard way in 95 degree heat and 15 MPH head wind.  Made for a long 54.7 mile ride!!  Any ideas!!  I personally think the on/off switch is being compromised by the weight of the battery pushing on the stop that is part of the switch mech?  Has anyone heard of such.  I was on a rough paved (asphalt/gravel) road going up and down hills.  Thanks, For Your Input! Tom

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Hi Tom,

If the Error Code 8 (Over voltage) appeared after going fast downhill, it could have been caused by a poor battery/switch/wire connection or the BMS momentarily disconnecting the battery supply because the regenerative charging voltage had risen too high.

Alan

Offline OldManTomahawk

• Confirmed
After riding home with the battery disconnected I checked the voltage (with no load) and it showed 54 volts.  I have my limits set at 62Max and 42Min.  Which would seem to me to indicate that the battery is OK and the switch or the loose wire (which I looked for and did not see) might be the issue.  Has anyone seen the locking plunger putting pressure on the switch and causing the power from the battery pack to be lost?  Thanks!  Sorry is misspelled your name, just saw that I had!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
I once experienced some intermittent cutting out with a GM rack pack which I traced to a dislodged contact plate on the rear of the key switch.

Check out this post for further information.

Alan

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
I have also seen faulty key switches when the locking pin is not lined up correctly with the plate. The contact is intermittent or not at all. Even though the pin does not actually go through the plate, when its pushing down in the correct spot it does work better. When I had this issue I just drilled the hold in the plate larger so the pin went in without pushing on the plate and the problem was resolved. This is not a common issue but it does exist in some situations.

Gary

Offline OldManTomahawk

• Confirmed
I had already made the hole larger to facilitate getting it to lock without putting pressure on the key/switch.  I have tried tightening the 'sides' to help secure the battery in the plate.  It makes putting on in and getting it out more difficult, but where I ride I just don't need problems as I'm often 10 or 15 miles from help.  Love this product and the response to issues when they do come up (which is very seldom). Tom

Offline OldManTomahawk

• Confirmed
Low battery in volt meter, changed and got he reading shown in the video.  Grandson (weights about 75 lbs) rode 29 miles this morning with pac running and on smooth surface with no problems.  Battery pack showed 52.7 just now.  I'm thinking that I'll get him to ride Monday morning until the battery shuts down to get some feel for the range he can get.  The HHH ride we have signed up for is 50 miles and I don't want him to have to come in with a dead battery.  I rode 42 miles over a much hillier route before I had the error problems, which I now wonder if were nothing but a dead battery and incorrect error code, or the rough road causing a power outage?  Thanks for all the help and input!! You guys are great! Tom