Author Topic: I'm baaaack...lol  (Read 3218 times)

Offline Wilson_wu

• Confirmed
I'm baaaack...lol
« on: June 13, 2017, 04:29:06 AM »

IM BAAAAAAAAAAACK

Long story short, I messed up the wires on my first wheel while trying to connect the pedelec wire to the bike so I had to buy another one.

Just judging by this photo, there's an obstruction that I think will make the magnetic ring be too far from the pedelec ring/wire. Now how do I go about installing the pedelec, do I need a new crank or part to make the pedelec fit?

Or is it actually possible to install the pedelec on the side of the gears instead? Will the pedelec even fit under all those gears?

Another stupid question, there's the magnetic black ring, and then the silver pedelec ring/wire. Now, is the black knob on the silver pedelec ring/wire supposed to be facing the magnetic black ring or away from it? The black rectangle in the photo is what I'm referring to when I say black knob http://www.goldenmotor.uk/8365478593792378/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/pedelec.jpg

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 04:32:58 AM by Wilson_wu »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: I'm baaaack...lol
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 11:07:57 AM »
Hi Wilson,

I hope you only bought another pedelec sensor (or speed controller) and didn't have to buy another wheel.  :o

Anyway, the black sensor block (or "black blob") needs to face outwards towards the magnet ring as shown here:

It doesn't have to be in the same "12 o'clock" position shown, so fit it where it provides the best wire route.

You may need to make a small spacer block to fit between the black rectangular sensor unit and the mounting bracket if it is too far away from the magnet ring, but I suggest you try fitting the unit first and see if it works before worrying about the spacer.

Remove the pedal crank and the bottom bracket lock ring and then tighten the lock ring to hold the sensor bracket securely in place.
Slide the magnet ring onto the spindle with the arrows facing in the same direction of rotation as the pedals (as shown in the previous picture).

If the pedelec works, there should be no need for a spacer, but if a spacer is required, it can be cut from thin wood or plastic etc.
I would apply glue or double sided sticky tape on each sides of the spacer  to make sure it doesn't twist around the screw.
You would also need a slightly longer retaining screw if the block needs to be spaced a long way from the bracket.

A hot melt glue gun or epoxy glue could even be used to add a thick layer of glue between the sensor unit and the bracket to form a spacer and attach the sensor all in one go.

If you had another locking ring, you may have sufficient thread available to simply fit the sensor bracket on the outside of the existing lock ring using the extra locking ring to hold it in place, and this would also reduce the distance between the sensor and the magnet ring.  ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:04:14 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Wilson_wu

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 03:43:19 AM »
Just to be certain, it will be okay to unscrew the black knob from the silver pedelec ring? Is there no purpose to the silver ring other than holding up the black knob or do I need it for magnetic purposes?

I've made a diagram. The left is what I have right now, the right is what I think you are suggesting. I'm going to unscrew the black knob and place something underneath as a spacer (the blue part of the diagram).

Is this what you are suggesting I do?

Also, I'm thinking of simply supergluing the sensor onto a spacer, then the spacer onto the ring. I don't even know what size the replacement screws would be so Id rather forgo using them. Would there be any problems doing this? :)

-----

Also, I need replacement hose clamps for my torque arms, I know there is a size printed on them but they're currently installed on my bike. Would you happen to know what size they are and Gary Salo, if you're online right now, do you happen to carry them without having to buy the torque arms itself?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 04:11:48 AM by Wilson_wu »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 12:56:17 PM »
Hi Wilson,

That is exactly what I was suggesting you should do.

Although, if the distance is actually as much as your diagram indicates, it might be possible to reverse the metal bracket and simply fix the sensor onto the opposite side of the bracket to push it nearer to the magnet ring instead of adding a thick spacer:

But you may need to drill additional holes in the bracket to make sure the sensor was still fitted in the same orientation.  :-\

A selection of different sized of Jubilee/hose clips can usually be found at most motor factors and DIY stores etc.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:02:58 PM by Bikemad »