Author Topic: Certified Fork for Magic Pie 3 (or any other Pie)  (Read 4757 times)

Offline Sam.Vanratt

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Certified Fork for Magic Pie 3 (or any other Pie)
« on: August 28, 2013, 08:04:12 AM »
Hello
currently I'm stuck in with my two MP3's mainly because I could not find any fork mfc who allows 14mm axle or high torque motors in it. As I drive for my work I have an insurance running which only allows certified components to be used. RST, Rockshoxx, Cannondale, Suntour do not allow such motors in it's front fork to be in the specifications. Now Surely (because I already bought the Instigator, because of it's rigidness) wrote me back that warranty is void in such a case.
The only mfc allowing such things was Parafork, but they only have 9mm clamps or 20mm axles (downhill).
What do you use?
Cheers
Sam

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
Re: Certified Fork for Magic Pie III (or any other Pie)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 08:53:40 PM »

I think you would be better to look for someone that will certify the torque arm
for the motor, not the fork.

The fork dropouts on most bikes are simply not designed to handle the kind
of torque that a motor will supply.

Offline Sam.Vanratt

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 10:36:32 AM »
Hi e-lmer
that's the problem: modding a part will void the insurrance, as the single part does not fulfill it, the whole will fail. The torque arm of GM itself has failed the (German) TÜV Süd so even with the torque arm it's not allowed to use; it's just enhanced.
So all here use the "if it works, hail it; if it failes: best luck" mechanismn

Cheers
Sam

Offline Sam.Vanratt

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 08:24:57 PM »
Hello all
here's the fork outlet before getting it's coating. It's made of 8mm CroMo 4130 and my MP3 fits very tight there. After 30.000km riding it's still tight and worth the 540EUR I spent for building it. It contains a TÜV Rheinland certificate so it's allowed to be used on the streets.

Cheers
Sam

Offline Klatuu

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 08:29:27 PM »
That's a beauty!

Offline Sam.Vanratt

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 08:40:28 PM »
Unluckily CroMo4130 rusts so it needed a RAL coating (I've chosen a yellowgreen). The fork weights about 3,1kg and allows 250Nm torque in it's dropouts. As the designer said: it's build to withstand.
Looks like the weakest part but is the strongest. I attach a few pics with more details. The first is just the name (which took some time to choose).
Cheers
Sam
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 05:20:04 AM by Sam.Vanratt »