Author Topic: 4000km in 5 months - maintenance?  (Read 2599 times)

Offline WestOz

• Confirmed
4000km in 5 months - maintenance?
« on: December 06, 2015, 04:42:44 AM »
Is there any maintenance to be performed on an MP4?  I've done nearly 4000km in the 5 months since I installed my kit.  Through heavy rain and 38 deg C heat.  No issues at all (if you don't count the Pedal Assist function not working - but it never did from the start).  I've been 63km on my 48V 21 Ahr battery towing a loaded trailer, at an average speed of 30 kph and still had power left.  It really is a great power plant.

So just asking if there are any items to service or is it all sealed. I've had to tighten a few spokes in that time, but nothing else.

Cheers,

WestOz

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: 4000km in 5 months - maintenance?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 08:25:46 PM »
Apart from checking the tightness of the axle nuts and making sure that all the spokes are nice and evenly tensioned there is not a lot to do on the MP4, as the only moving parts inside the motor are the wheel bearings themselves.

You can easily check the play in the bearings by grabbing the tyre firmly and moving the rim from side to side to check the amount of movement. As the wheel bearings are not adjustable, replacement is the only way to reduce excessive play.

Alan